PDA

View Full Version : Best stroller for exercise?

mom to little e
02-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Notice I didn't ask for the best "jogger"...I would love a good stroller for power walking (not ambitious enough to even suggest that I could get out and jog!) but am overwhelmed with even beginning to look at strollers again.

We have the 2003 model Zooper Buddy (was discontinued) which I liked when DS was a babe but now he is a chunk and I can't imagine pushing my 24 lb. son in a 35 lb. stroller and trying to go fast!

Here is what I would like to have:
lightweight (light to push but not flimsy)
could fit into a car trunk
sun cover
looks cool (of course, that is completely optional) :)

Any suggestions?

Casey &
Ean (11/06/03)

HoneymoonBaby
02-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Valco Runabout! I bought one this week and we have taken it out for brisk walks every day since I got it. It pushes like a dream, weighs only about 25 lbs. and folds compactly. It will also take a toddler seat attachment in case you decide to have another baby while Ean is still small enough to want to ride sometimes. I think the sun canopy is more than adequate, but I don't live in Arizona or anyplace like that. I know you can get aftermarket sunshades to cover whatever the canopy doesn't.

I highly recommend it!

mom to little e
02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey, I love your baby's name! :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I had not heard of this one so I'll go check it out. Where did you find it?

Casey &
Ean - the little love of my life

heatherlynn
02-10-2005, 11:50 AM
How about a 2004 MBUS? I got mine for power walking also and specifically the 04 since it's about 3 pounds lighter than the 05s. You can get some great deals on them now also.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

HoneymoonBaby
02-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I bought mine locally, but I have seen the Valco here: http://www.travelingtikes.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/?E+scstore

I've seen it other places, too, but Ian is fussing in my lap right now so I can't get the link for you. Try a Google search on Valco stroller or a Froogle search.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on Ian's name! I've never seen it spelled Ean before, but that's really neat, too!

mams99
02-10-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree with the MBUS. The 2004 is great, but some people wanted the extra flexibility with the adjustable handle bars. We didn't need it and we are 5'6" and 6'1" and my DH takes HUGE strides.

It only weighs 15 lbs.... so it's not a lot of stroller! That was a BIG consideration and to me that makes it a better stroller than the Valco. 25 lbs is HEAVY in my opinion for a jogger/walking stroller. It HAS to be aluminum to make it worthwhile.

We also bought the carrycot (an older year) and we will use that for when our little one is small. I can't wait to use it!!!!

Melissa

28w3d with Henry Alexander - soon to be little brother to Adrian, 8.5

HoneymoonBaby
02-10-2005, 06:37 PM
According to www.arunningstroller.com, the 2004 MBUS weighs 19 pounds. That's not THAT much different than the Valco, IMO. The 2005 MBUS is even heavier because of the added seat padding. And the Valco is made of aluminum, just to clarify. It doesn't feel heavy at all when pushing it, and while I wouldn't want to carry it on public transportation or anything like that, I don't find it too heavy to carry up and down the flight of stairs in front of my house.

MamaKath
02-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Man, I just typed out a huge message and lost it. Ugh!!!! Okay, back to my response, ;-) as I see it you have a few options.

Option 1- Hybrid model. Jogger-like with a front swivel wheel. The ones I can think of:
*Valcos (Rebel, Runabout, Everest)
*Zooper 2004 or 2005 Models (Jazz, Boogie, and
*Phil & Ted's Kiwi E3
*Adventure Buggy Company (ABC) Buggy
*Mountain Buggy Urban (MBUS= Single, MBUD= Double)
*Instep/Schwinn Safari TT
*GoBaby Stroller
*Jeep Liberty Urban Terrain
*Bob Revolution (also sold as the StrollerStrides model)
*Dreamer Design Manhatten
*Baby Jogger City Jogger (discontinued)
*Quinny Buzz (European model a lot of the ladies are trying out now)

Option 2- A convertible Bike Trailer. Use on the bike for exercise or get a conversion kit for strollering. One benefit to this is as kids get older it provides a play space where toys won't be falling out, enclosed screen area, etc. Some great brands:
*Burley
*Chariot

Option 3- A pram. I know it sounds nutty, lol. These can be great for walking! Many have a suspension to them making them optimal for walking as you can listen to tunes and get a groove going. Also they often have a reversible seat making them great for toddlers who like to chat as you are moving! They can often be found used, as well as new. Some brands:
*Emmaljunga (not sold here anymore, however can be found used occasionally)
*Inglesina
*Silver Cross
*Bertini
*Teutonia
*Peg Perego

Additional thoughts would be to make sure you can add additional sun shade, rain cover, cup holders or tray, and a place to store an extra blanket or snacks. Good luck, the warmer weather has me thinking of getting out for walks and more these days too, only a buggy for a big nearly 3 year old is harder to work on, lol.

HTH~

strollerqueen
02-11-2005, 06:06 AM
The 2004 actually weighs 22 pounds. Supposedly the 2005 is 3 pounds more.

mams99
02-11-2005, 06:24 AM
You are right, I was thinking of the Combi Ultra Savvy which weighs 15 lbs. It is 19 lbs. I just looked it up! The NEW ones are 22 lbs.

Maybe it's just me, but 6 lbs between the Valco and the MBUS is a LOT of weight difference when you are comparing apples to apples in an otherwise very similar stroller. That is almost 25% LESS weight. And when you are exercising and going through rough terrain, all that weight adds up.

Ironically, I wonder how come the double Valco and the MBUD are the same weight when singly they aren't that close? Now, I find THAT interesting!

Sorry, for the weight confusion!

Melissa

heatherlynn
02-11-2005, 06:40 AM
I totally agree about the 5 pounds when you're walking/hiking. That's why I went w/ the 2004 MBUS.

Good luck in your search!

H=
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

mom to little e
02-11-2005, 02:52 PM
I wonder if I should look at ATS strollers or joggers? Can you easily jog with an ATS (assuming I EVER get back into shape for that!) Do all joggers have a fixed wheel? Is there any advantage to having a fixed wheel vs. a swivel wheel?

Casey
Momma to Ean...the little love of my life!

mams99
02-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, both the valco and the Mountain Buggy Urban Single have a front swivel wheel which can be locked to a foward only wheel. That's the beauty of these strollers. They can work for tight spaces (malls) and be more convenient for bumpy sidewalks, but can lock for trails in your park for power strolls. I'll love that feature!!! With my son (8.5 years ago) they only had fixed wheels on joggers which means you are constantly adjusting the direction of the stroller by lifting it up.

WITH THAT SAID... these strollers are not meant for running for two reasons. One, their wheels are really too small. If you are going to jog/run, the smallest recommended wheels are 16 inches (unlike the 12" on the Valco and MBUS). Two, those lockable front wheels are great, but not as steady and easy for running as the fixed front wheels.

If you are wanting a stroller that can possible do double duty (but would be too big for malls - I know, I had one of these too) then try the BOB sports utility strollers. They are wonderful strollers and great for running. There are a couple new models out there and if you do a search for them here on the BBB site you can find reviews and more info.

Hope this helps! Sometimes there are so many choices, yet none of them seem quite right!

Melissa

Susann
02-12-2005, 01:01 AM
I don't really think there is much of a difference between fixed wheel (quality jogger) and a swivel wheel when pushing a single stroller. But what makes a difference is the wheel size. I mainly powerwalk or jog really slow and I feel that there is a huge difference between the MBUS and a jogger. The MBUS is easy to steer but you really have to push it. A jogger kind of glides by itself.
If you decide to go for a jogger with fixed wheel, try them out if possible. There are several 18lbs models on the market but when you lift the front wheel, you can tell the high end ones from the cheaper ones. On the high end ones, you can push down the handle with you index finger when again the low end ones feel really heavy to steer. I have a Kool Stride Senior. It folds really tiny and it's really wonderful to steer even with a rider that weighs 35 to 47 lbs. But it's a huge stroller. I would never take it to a mall. Any real jogger is huge. The advatage of swivel wheel strollers is that they are generally shorter (smaller) than joggers.

Susann

mom to little e
02-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Thank you! Thank you! This is what I really needed to know. I happened to see one of the BOB Ironman strollers and DH got all excited as he is big into triathlons.

Casey

mom to little e
02-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks, Susann. Your comments really helped!

Now that I think about it, I guess I started thinking of getting another stroller because I am not getting any form of exercise. I am really turning into mush! All of these comments have helped me clarify my thinking into what I was wanting and what I was looking for.

We have two Silver Cross strollers (the Camden and the Mini) so I think that we are pretty good for the mall, Disney, etc.

I had been trying to use the Zooper Buddy for walking (way too heavy for running for me). Sounds like a new jogging stroller would be the thing I am looking for. Now, my next challenge will be where to find some locally that I can compare and check out...

Ahhh... nothing like living in a commercially/retail-challenged environment!

Casey

Susann
02-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know where you live but one place not to go to is Babies R Us. They carry the joggers that are supposed to be 18 lbs but are really heavy to steer.

I think the 4 most popular running strollers are
Baby Jogger
Dreamer Designs
BOB
Kool Stop/ Kool Stride

The Kool stride comes with 20" rear wheels and 16" front wheels. It's huge but folds really compact. And it has a reclining seat that can be used for all ages

The Baby Jogger comes with either 16", 20" or 24" wheels. One of the Baby Joggers come with reclining seat that can be reclined until the baby is 12 mos. The reason for the agelimit is that when the baby gets older the stroller becomes very tippy, especially when reclined

I have owned both of the ones above and like much more the Kool Stride b/c the tippyness of the BJ made me nervous.

I don't know much about the Dreamer Design or the BOB but I know that people love them. One jogger that might be a nice option if you're not planning to run fast and seriously, is the BOB Revolution. That one you will be able to take a look at at least at REI. It has a swivel front wheel but 16" back wheels. It will come out in the end of this month.

I think that no matter which one of these 4 you choose, you're going to be happy with it.

Good luck getting back to working out

Susann
ps. I try to do my jogging when my DD is napping b/c that way she doesn't get bored

bubbaray
02-12-2005, 03:40 PM
We have a Chariot Cavalier 1 (they make a double too). It is a great stroller. DH did a lot of research on them and looked at every jogger out there and decided the Chariot was the best built. He does tri's (Ironman distance) and we both do marathons (well, OK, I haven't done one post-baby!). He's REALLY into bikes and said the Chariot was built like a bike -- makes sense b/c they are usually sold in bike shops.

Anyway, I would say for exercise, go with a fixed wheel jogger. If you can afford it (and a must if you live near the ocean), get an aluminum frame and hubs. 16" wheels are great for exercise. Neither DH nor I think we need a stroller with 20" wheels and he runs at a pretty good pace with the stroller (he's about a 7:00 pace, I'm more of a 9:00 pace for a marathon), that should give your DH an idea of what we've found useful.

HTH

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png