PDA

View Full Version : Here's a toughie! Stroller for grandma with osteoporosis!

mams99
02-11-2005, 06:16 AM
My MIL will probably be watching my son once he makes his debut (as she did with our older son). The problem is that she will be 70 at the time and she has really bad osteoporosis. "Technically" she's not supposed to lift anything heavier than 5 lbs ever again, but she does.

Currently (and until October) she lives in an apt. 3 miles from our home and I'm assuming she would want to watch him there, but even if she watches him here, the same problem applies - stairs and strollers!!! In our home we actually have a walkout LL, but you have to walk quite a bit in a grassy area to get from the back of the house to the front sidewalk (it's a townhome). So, pushing a stroller with an ever growing baby in it might be too much for her.

We bought a MBUS for our personal use and I think we will LOVE it, but it's not an easy stroller for someone to carry up and down stairs for someone with osteoporosis OR for someone who finds EVERYTHING complicated! She would, I'm sure, find it too complicated to fold and open. ESPECIALLY, when we are using the carrycot option.

So, what to get? I thought about getting a Combi Ultra Savvy as they fold fairly small, but 15 lbs is still pretty heavy and I still worry about the "how do you fold this again?" question. I figured with this stroller, she could carry it down her 6-7 stairs, or our 5 stairs front entry, set it up and then go get baby and reverse that process for coming home.

Weight is a HUGE, HUGE issue. And so is ease of folding and unfolding.

So, what do I get that's good for a newborn up to???? that is not technically challenging to an old lady?

Melissa

28w4d with Henry Alexander - soon to be little brother to Adrian, 8.5

mams99
02-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Quick update/question... anyone have experience with Aprica strollers? Are they TRULY a one hand, one step fold? And same question for the Zippy? These are the only two I've been able to find on my own that "might" work!

Melissa

dules
02-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I hesitate to recommend anything for someone with your MIL's health conditions...but the Zippy is the first one I think of that you don't have to bend over to close...I assume that that is a big issue as well.

Is there anyplace to leave a stroller downstairs or in the garage where it doesn't need to be folded?

I hope others have more/better suggestions.

Best,
Mary

hardysmom
02-11-2005, 12:31 PM
My mom has arthritis and serious back problems and found my Zippy and my Mac Techno (2001) to be the easiest choices, but she didn't have to go up stairs, she just leaves the stroller at the bottom while she is watching the kids.

Like your mom, my mother isn't supposed to lift anything over 5-10 lbs, but she does a lot. I mean, at 1, my son was about 27 lbs and she had to carry him in from the car. I'm assuming that since she is caring for your son (and will have to carry him around) you are confident that she can carry at least 15-20 lbs, right?

I guess the other question is; where she would use the stroller? If she plans on walking outside, I would skip super-lightweights like the Combis and Aria.

If you want a new stroller, I would probably get a Zippy. It is about 17 lbs, but the fold is TOTALLY 1 handed and simple to figure out. It "feels" lighter than it is. It does well on normal outside conditions (bad sidewalk/street, packed gravel, some grass)

If you are willing to shop on SWAP, I would look for an older Combi Savvy (they were 8 lbs a few years ago and many are still around) or perhaps a Peg Aria. Neither is good outside, but are fine for mall, etc)

Once the baby is a little older, an oder Maclaren would be great- My 2001 Techno only weighs 14 lbs. My Vogue is about 12 lbs, I think. Problem is that older Macs were not suitable for newborns.

Stephanie

Edited to add- Apricas are nice and very light, but they are a real love or hate stroller. The suspension, which is similar to Combi, causes the stroller to have a lot of flex in the frame. While they are actually very well built, they feel (too many people) like they are about to fall apart. The models I've played with werer also better inside than for outdoor strolls.

mams99
02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks Mary...

Unfortunately, there is nowhere to "store" the stroller unfolded in her place. I mentioned she can roll it out of our lower level, but then she would need to push it around the back of two other townhomes and then the side of the townhouse to get it to the sidewalk.

I too was hesitant to let her watch the baby this time, but I think if we DON'T let her, she would definitely die of a broken heart! She LITERALLY moved to this country to watch our kids for us as her mother did for her. My husband is an only child and she has followed us from place to place to be near us.

Last summer she broke 5 verterbrae on a rough trip on a small boat (all the bouncing up and down) and they have healed, but the doctor wants her to be careful. She's taking physical therapy and she DOES lift more than 5 lbs now, but she's not supposed to. But HOW???? She's only 70 and otherwise in good health.

She's also European and walking outside is a BIG part of her normal life. She would go stir crazy having to sit in the house on beautiful days. Plus, she knows fresh air is good for baby. However, with that said, she wouldn't venture out on HOT days (we live in No. Virginia) as she can't handle the heat plus humidity.

I don't know... I'm only going to be working 1/2 time (I hope), but I'm not sure how she'll handle it all. But, we have to let her try, you know?

Melissa

11 more weeks to go!!!

sobers3
02-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Is there a way that you could set up the MBUS before you leave for work and leave it outside the door of the LL walk out? The MBUS just glides effortlessly and is really substantial for an older person to hold onto and push. What kind of vehicle does she drive? Maybe you could leave a light-weight opened up on its side and she could just pull it out. I would choose a stroller where the seat isn't too low to the ground so she doesn't have to bed over so far and lift the baby all the way up. If she is from out of the country, she might really be more comfortable with an older style pram that you could find at a garage sale or consignment shop. You could really clean it up and leave it outside covered with a tarp and bring the mattress in. If someone takes it you wouldn't be out too much money. These are just some ideas, good luck and let us know what works for you.