PDA

View Full Version : Warning - MB tire popping sounds like gun shot!

darby24
02-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Just want to make sure other MB owners won't be so shocked as we were! I joined my sister and nephews today and we ended up at a local park - filled with children of course. The stroller was sitting still, no weight in it at the time and BANG! the back tire explodes! Needless to say we got everyone's attention and got some crying as well (forget my nephews, they didn't even notice!)

All we can figure is that it was over-inflated. The tire was low for a bit, so it was pumped up a number of days ago. Both nephews had been riding (22lbs and 35lbs) and then it sat in the sun for maybe a half hour before it popped. It seriously sounded like a gunshot, couldn't figure out where the noise had come from at the beginning.

My sister ended up walking home to get her car so that we could get back home again. Now she's off to a bike shop to get a new tube. So the lesson is; watch how much air you put in!

hipmaman
02-12-2005, 11:26 PM
If you can get a tire gauge, you can make sure they are not more than 20 psi. That's the max allowable pressure for the MB tires, eventhough there might be imprint on the tires themselves for 40 psi. MB has those 'rings' with writing on for max 20 psi attached on the valves.

mcdonald29
02-13-2005, 02:17 AM
We lost a MB tire last weekend (apparently a thorn). DH was able to fix it up himself with a tire patch kit instead of buying a whole new tube. <$10, I know, but if you or someone you love are a little bit handy, can save a few bucks if you get a flat in the future.