PDA

View Full Version : Aria Twin or Combi Twin for a preschooler and infant?

egoldber
02-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Well, I was going to make do without a double, but I realized I have a bunch of travel coming up this summer and fall. I will be alone for much of it with DD and with #2. So I think a lightweight "in and out of the car" type double would help to keep me sane in my travels.

I looked at doubles a few weeks ago in a store and I was just shocked at how heavy they are. The only two that were light enough for me were the Combi Twin and the Aria Twin. I thought that even the Mac doubles were much too heavy.

DD is 3 1/2, but she seemed to fit OK in both strollers. The Aria seemed much less "fussy" to me than the Combi, but I didn't really spend a lot of time with the Combi.

Any thoughts on these? I don't need anything all terrain, I'm looking for an airport/mall/indoor stroller.

TIA!

caleymama
02-12-2005, 02:57 PM
I have not checked out the Combi IRL, but last week I was looking at the Aria Twin at a local baby store. I liked it okay (except for the way it folded - seemed really big), but the salesperson said that it wasn't a great choice for two kids that are far apart in age. She said that because it is so lightweight it has a tendency to pull towards the side that the heavier child is riding in. I have read a lot of good things about the Combi Twin on here and am considering it, I just want to see it in person first. The others I checked out that day were the Graco DuoRider SBS (didn't like at all) and the Chicco Velocita Twin (http://tinyurl.com/5aerl). I liked the Chicco a lot, but I wasn't thrilled with the pattern (Oxford - navy pinstripes). For the price, though, I may just deal with it. I think the Velocita Twin is the same as the Tuscany Twin, which is a different pattern.

I too was shocked at how heavy the doubles are. I would really like a small fold. I can't stand the thought of having my entire trunk space taken up by stroller, but I think I have to face the fact that doubles aren't going to be as small as I would like them to be. I have been getting by with the baby in the Bjorn or sling and Caley walking or in a single stroller, but I am getting tired of chasing Caley and it's not always convenient to have the baby *on* me all the time. We have an e3, but I don't care for the toddler/newborn set up as much as I thought I would so I haven't used it much. I think I'll like it better once the baby is big enough for the second seat, but in the meantime I am thinking about a SBS double. I'll be curious to see what people have to say about the Aria Twin vs. the Combi Twin.

mharling
02-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Beth -
These are the 2 I have narrowed it down to as well. I have heard that the Aria is nearly impossible to steer one-handed; that seems to be it's big downside.

I am not in a hurry to purchase, so I may throw the rumored Silver Cross double into the mix too when the time comes (not sure when it's coming out; all I've heard is 'this spring').

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little Miss - Due March 2!!

luvmypeanut
02-13-2005, 02:12 AM
I asked Marilyn about the Mac twins and she said they are heavy and difficult to fold. She said to wait for the Silver Cross Micro Twin coming out in a month or so.

http://tinyurl.com/5pse5

I wish they were coming out in colors other than charcoal though.

hardysmom
02-13-2005, 09:47 AM
I got the Aria for my twins b/c of the no-fuss design, but it is difficult (impossible) to steer one handed, even with two small babies. It steers fine with both hands, much like an older Pliko.

For me, the quick in/out was the priority since this stroller is for very short errands and such. I have an MBUD for longer outings.

The basket is better on the Aria and it is easier to fold unfold (though the Combi isn't particularly difficult). Besides those features, I think the Combi may be a better indoor lightweight for longer outings- it has a better canopy, folds smaller (important for travel), is plushier, and probably maneuvers better (maybe b/c of the middle wheel).

I have never been a big fan of the Combi "feel" which is one of the reasons I went with the Aria. I have considered that I may need to get over the bias as my twins get bigger.

If possible, I would wait for the SC double to come out and have a few reviews. It may (or may not) be worth the wait. I have heard that the final design is a little heavier than the prototype-- I guess the question will be whether it is worth the weight.

Stephanie

egoldber
02-13-2005, 11:12 AM
I pushed DD around in the store in the Aria Twin and it seemed fine, even one handed. Maybe it handles differently when both seats are occupied?

Honestly, I have an SC Micro single and I really am not in love with this stroller. It doesn't push very easily (IMO) and it has a problem with one of the wheels not touching the ground and spinning. So I am not eager to buy another SC product in its first year of production LOL!

I may go back to the store and play with the Combi some more and give it a better chance.

hardysmom
02-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I pushed the Aria around unloaded as well and thought it turned very well, but loaded with my two 16-18 lb babies, it isn't so great. Give it a try with one child and see what you think.

It reminds me a lot of an older Pliko-- with 2 hands, it is just fine and maneuvers well. For me it is a problem only when I also have my 3 yr old and need to hold his hand. I have to say, the basket is very nice.

Stephanie

colleenfs
02-13-2005, 03:10 PM
I am currently considering both of these as well, so I would love to know what you end up going with! Julia will be 3.5 and close to 40 pounds when her sibling arrives this summer, so our kids are about the same ages.

We tried out the Aria Twin at BRU the other day, and Julia really liked it. I liked it too, and I thought it was very easy to maneuver (but then, only one seat was occupied.) I can't find the Combi Twin anywhere to try it out, but it's on my list too. Right Start carries them both, and we have a new Right Start opening nearby this week, so I'm going to see if they have it there. (I did try the Mac also, but I was not impressed with it.)

Did you end up getting a jogger for outdoor use as well? I seem to recall you mentioning the Valco. I think I'm going to have to get one for walks around the block, to the playground, zoo, farm, etc. I was thinking I might just do the cheapy BRU one, but still undecided. Since Baby won't be able to use it right away, I'll probably wait til spring 2006 if I even bother to get one. (By then Julia will be over 4, so I wonder if it is worth it....)

I'm also thinking about getting (or maybe borrowing) a Sit n Stand to get through the summer and fall until Baby is out of the Snugride. I'd likely get rid of this stroller by Christmastime when the baby is out of the carseat and then go for the SBS twin.

DH is not going to like the thought of *3* new strollers....UGH. Anyway, would love to know what your approach will be to this.

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02
Jumping Bean due 7-23-05!
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020110/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050723/0/25/1/+10/.png

egoldber
02-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I was thinking that I really don't need an all terrain double. If we go to the zoo or somewhere like that, I'll have DH with me and we'll take 2 singles. I was considering a Valco or MBUD, but when I felt how heavy the Mac doubles were, I knew there was no way I would use one of those as an every day stroller. My neighborhood playground is literally 50 feet away, so no stroller required and all other parks are driving distance, so we don't really walk to the park.

I had even thought that I could do without a double at all, but I now have several occasions over the next year where I will be traveling without DH, so I think I need a double. But I want it to be lightweight.

strollerqueen
02-13-2005, 09:41 PM
They are!

SC just told me they were coming out in red and navy, also. But he said they don't expect them out until June. (They are revising and re-tooling.)

Jeanne
02-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Have you considered the Sit -n- Stand? We bought the Combi double after Claire was born and it's only used for walking the neighborhood now. Despite its weight, we found that with Charlotte's age, it was easier to push a single with bench than it was to deal with a double because she hops on and off so much. And in the event that she wants to lay down in it, we put our youngest in the carrier.

EDT to add that once our youngest turned a year old, all neighborhood walks have taken place in the wagon so the double hasn't been used at all since then.

Joohye
02-14-2005, 04:10 PM
I have the Combi Twin and love it.

I have steered it one handed with both my 1 month old in a carseat and my 28 lb 20 month old in together. I also have steered it one handed while chasing my toddler and holding him under one arm and my newborn in carseat in stroller. This thing steers better than my Silver Cross Mini - you can't steer one handed with 1 toddler in it.

I was looking at the Peg Aria Twin, Mac TT and Combi Twin Savvy and in the end after researching for over a month I went with the Combi and have been so amazed ever since. It's not as pretty as the TT but the userfriendliness of this stroller is unbelievable and it has truly been a lifesaver.

I wrote some other pros about this stroller in another thread so check it out. I am so glad I went w/ the Combi. I love it and I too used to be one of those who never liked the Combi feel.

Jennifer

colleenfs
02-17-2005, 02:00 PM
I was able to find one to sample at The Right Start. I really liked it. Unfortunately, Julia wasn't with me, so I'll have to go back again and really test it out with her in it. But I do think I may choose it over the Aria now....

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02
Jumping Bean due 7-23-05!
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020110/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050723/0/25/1/+10/.png

egoldber
02-17-2005, 04:36 PM
I did. I went back to Buy Buy Baby and played with it for awhile. I did like it fine. It is futzier and heavier than the Aria, but I think I will get it anyway, LOL!