PDA

View Full Version : Help with strollers for soon-to-be new mom

NoemiArthur
02-14-2005, 03:24 PM
I have about 3 months to go and DH and I are trying to finalize our registry/purchasing choices. We are having the hardest time with strollers. We have done research (Baby Bargains, Consumer Reports), I read these message boards, and we have gone to several stores to see strollers in person. This weekend, we thought we had it all figured out, but after reading these boards further, now I'm not so sure.

Here is what we are looking for:
Must accomodate a universal infant seat carrier (we are getting a Graco Snugride).
Will be used mostly for mall crawling, shopping, and some walks on weekends around a neighborhood with sidewalks.
Compact fold, lightweight.
Appropriate for infants.

Even though we realize that an infant seat carrier is only good for 3-6 months, and even though I intend to use a body carrier sometimes and I understand the value of not having baby in the infant seat carrier for hours on end, we do want the option of strapping it on safely to the stroller.

But we want to just buy one good stroller that will last us for many years.

So we looked at the Zooper Waltz and the Inglesina Zippy. We liked both well enough, the Zippy has a great one handed fold up. However, in my opinion, both are very heavy and bulky. And the baskets underneath are hard to access with all the cross bars. And I've heard rumors that the Waltz has some folding problems.

So then the salesman showed us the Aria MT (which now accomodates any infant seat carrier via a strap). I LOVED how light it was, how easy to fold up (although you need two hands) and how compactly it folded up (into a square box).

However now I am reading on here about how it does not have a full recline for infants, it does not have sufficient padding, and it does not have a full canopy, and I am concerned that it might not be the best option after all.

I welcome all advice/opinions. And I keep reading about the Aprica, but I don't know anything about it. Is the Aprica the answer to my dilemma?

Thanks,
EDD 5/24/05

Momof3Labs
02-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Why not the P3? It is a great stroller and meets your requirements. To access the basket, go at it from the side rather than from behind.

dules
02-14-2005, 08:33 PM
I agree with Lori...check out the P3 and have another look at the Zippy. Both are around 15-18 lbs I think...when you are 6 months pg that may seem heavy but when your child is 3 months and 15 lbs you won't think that the stroller weighs much at all, lol.

Good luck!

Best,
Mary

dknees
02-14-2005, 08:45 PM
I am due in April, so I don't have any "real life" stories for you about usage, but I wanted to share some thoughts on my decision-making process.

Like you, I did a ton of research. I will use my stroller for most of the same uses as you, I have bought the snugride and anticipate using a pouch or sling carrier as much as possible. I decided on the P3 and am very excited about it. Once we got it home, it was even better than in the store! Dh loves it and I truly can fold it one handed and lift it one handed to stow in the trunk. Keep in mind though, I have better than "average" arm/upper body strength. I think in time, once your baby gets bigger, 16 pounds won't seem like that much :)

I was VERY interested in the Zooper Waltzs last October (the 2004's) and was warned off that particular model by the sales lady. She said that they had a HUGE problem with the frames (showed me a whole stock room full of broken ones) and they would address the problem with the 2005's. I'm not sure if they've done that or not, but wanted to share that with you to help you make the best decision possible.

I DO like the zoopers, and they ARE good strollers. I also was interested in the Silver Cross Camden, but I didn't like that you couldn't adjust the footboard, like you can with the P3. I like the look of the Zippy, but was put off by the number of people posting here saying that their customer service was less than wonderful.

Hope that helps a bit....

NoemiArthur
02-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks ladies. Looks like DH and I will be taking a look at the P3 and the Zippy (again) this weekend to decide. I appreciate your thoughts.

audys
02-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi, we had the same requirements as you for a stroller and bought the PP Aria.

We LOVED the light weight. It is a 2 handed fold, however - not a problem with the infant seat but harder with a bigger baby.

At 6 months when we lost the infant seat, my DS HATED riding in it. It's a sling type of stroller and he slumped horribly (small baby). At 1 year, he will ride in it fine again. Some babies love this stroller but mine didn't.

My big complaint about the stroller was the size folded - it took up a huge amount of room in the back of my SUV (and didn't stand up on the side well without propping). When DS was 6 months old, I bought a Mac Quest for errands and the mall and we all LOVE this stroller.

In retrospect, I really wish that we bought an infant carrier only in the beginning or a cheap stroller (like the Graco Literider) and then picked our stroller when we could see baby's preferences and how he fit when he moved out of the infant seat. We use a Literider as our airline travel stroller and bought one for $40 (cheaper than those universal infant carriers).

Just more food for thought...

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050210/3/15/1/+10/.png (http://lilypie.com)

tinkerbell1217
02-15-2005, 02:06 PM
If you want something car seat compatable, the Aprica is not for you. Its everything but car seat compatable. Full featured AND lightweight, but sadly..not car seat compatable. I know its a convenience for so many. I would honestly look at the Zippy or P3 for your needs. Either one sound like a good bet!

kris123
02-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm so glad to have seen this discussion.
The P3 seems like a good way to go. My question is, is that strap a safe way to attach the car seat? Is it hard to attach and detach every time you are on the go?

tiapam
02-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Especially since you are so undecided, I think a Universal Car Seat Carrier is the way to go. I have the Combi Flash and I *love* it. I may have to give it up soon (she is getting too tall for the infant car seat), but it was worth every penny. It has the best fold of the UCSCs. Second choice would be the Kolcraft. I already have a Graco Quattro Tour and that is fine for walks around home, but I will get something lighter and smaller for the car after we stop using the infant car seat. If you can try out the UCSCs somewhere, I think that would be best. I think the UCSCs have high resale value, because I couldn't find one used (except on Ebay, and that never worked out for me). The Once Upon a Child near here takes names from people who want to be on a waiting list. The Flash is the new name for the Strolee Streak. I think the difference is the Flash comes with a stroller pack. There is a Streak on Ebay right now for $34 + $14.95 shipping.