PDA

View Full Version : Buy now, buy later, or not at all? Help... (long)

icemamma
02-15-2005, 04:13 PM
I hope you wonderful ladies can help me. I'm not a frequent poster but I like to drop by when I can. Here's the situation: We are soon traveling to the US to attend a wedding and visit family. One week in NYC and one week with my folks. I presently own my one and only stroller for 18 month old daughter. It's a Jane Powertrack and I love it! We haven't had the need for anything else.

However, being in NYC and taking advantage of the weak dollar are two good reasons/excuses to shop for a lightweight stroller. I looked around here (Iceland) and the selection is devastatingly poor. I will admit the Powertrack has totally spoiled it for me because all the umbrella strollers seemed so HEAVY to me. And bulky. Ugh. If I get another stroller I want it to have some sort of advantage over what I own now. To me that would be more compact and lightweight. So I think my options are:

1. Take the Powertrack and buy a stroller while in the States. Then my question would be, is the Powertrack too big for getting around New York City and it's subways...? Plus, I'd have to go home lugging two strollers...

2. Buy a super cheapie stroller here and then get the umbrella stroller I really want in the States. Problem would be, there is nothing cheapie here in price and, DH would not understand buying a more expensive stroller when the cheapie 'was perfectly fine'. Also, I would be off that plane and scouring the City for a baby store ASAP. I don't have much extra time. Any good shops in Manhattan?

3. Buy an umbrella stroller before the trip and not worry about buying one in the States. I hate this choice even though it's probably the most sensible :( Everything is twice as expensive here and I'm not sure of the quality and how it compares to the ones I know. FYI umbrella strollers available here are, Graco, Bassoon, BabyDan, Carena, BabySam.

4. Take the Powertrack and don't buy a new stroller. That is, if the Powertrack is easy enough to maneuver in NYC. I would be quite happy doing this, really.

They have the Zapp here which was very impressive, but it is way overpriced and lacks some features I want/need. If it helps, I would be looking at a SC Mini, Mac Triumph or Inglesina Swift.

If you've made it this far, bless you. And if you want to repond I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

i c e m a mm a

edited to add: #4 which I conveniently forgot while dreaming of a new stroller.

hardysmom
02-15-2005, 04:50 PM
I think the Jane would probably be too heavy for the subway, as are most strollers. There are not always elevators so you have to go up/down several flights of stairs. You need something which can make it in the subway and/or be folded and put in a taxi very quickly before the driver gets rude.

Also, it depends what you will be doing in NYC. I think the Jane would be great window shopping, but might be difficult inside stores with tight aisles.

Maclarens are great NYC strollers... I don't know anything about the brands which are available in Iceland-- of those listed, only Graco is a familiar name to me. I don't believe the others are sold here.

Stephanie

american_mama
02-16-2005, 01:55 AM
It's always a pleasure for me to read your posts and this was no exception. Your ability to chime in on so many Powertrack discussions when you are such an infrequent poster makes me think you have a sixth sense for Jane threads! I know many people thank you for the info.

What about ordering a stroller online and having it delivered to your destination in the US? That's what I did a few times when I was living in Belgium and had family come and visit.

If I remember, you carry your Powertrack up flights of stairs in your apartment building, right? Is your DD still in it when you carry the stroller? If so, you may have no trouble carrying it up and down NYC subway stairs. (I say with DD in it, because I don't know if you'd want to take the time or risk the insecurity of taking DD out every time you come to a couple stairs in the subways.)

In terms of cheap umbrellas, if you went with this option, do you have Carrefour in Iceland? In Belgium, they have a cheap no name umbrella for 25 euros and the Chicco Caddy for about 50 euros. What about secondhand stores in Iceland? Or borrwing an umbrella from a friend?

I don't know NYC at all, but people on this board of mentioned Albee Baby, a bricks and mortar AND Internet store. It's in NYC somewhere, Ithink.

icemamma
02-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks for your responses!

Stephanie, I agree, subway access was exactly my main concern. Even though I regularly carry both the Jane and DD up and down the stairs of our apt, we really don't want the hassle in a new place where people are probably not as patient as they are here.

Karen, you have a great memory for remembering my past posts. To answer your question I fold the Jane, carry it in one hand and DD in the other. The stairwell is not big enough any stroller unfolded. DD is getting heavier by the day though. Fortunately she persists on 'climbing' the stairs herself.

We (I) finally reached a decision, by the way. We are going to rent a lightweight stroller and buy a stroller of my choice in the States. Now the fun part of choosing one!

Thanks again,
i c e m a mm a

scubamom
02-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi,

I recommend Albee Baby (as many others have). It's on the upper West side, 715 Amsterdam. Word of caution, if you're coming to the US very soon, the building that houses Albee is under scaffolding, so it's impossible to see from the street. As for stroller selection, you can check out their website first, to get an idea of what they have. I believe they carry Maclaren and Silver Cross, two great umbrella strollers.

Good luck and have a great trip,

Scubamom

icemamma
02-23-2005, 04:25 AM
Thanks Scubamom, I looked at their website and will definitely check it out.

i c e m a mm a

jk3
02-23-2005, 10:40 AM
I think it's definitely a good idea to buy a stroller while in the states. Recently we had friends visit from Iceland and they bought a ton of stuff because everything is so much cheaper here. My 2 cents: Check out the 2005 Maclaren Quest. I love my '03 Quest and the '05 is sportier and has some improved features. I compared the Quest to the Mini when the Mini debuted and IMO the Silver Cross lightweights can't compare with the Macs. Enjoy your trip + have fun picking out a new stroller!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

skohng
03-01-2005, 12:40 AM
albee baby seems like it has great deals online..

how are they with warranties? do they carry the manufacturer's warranties or just their own?

Melanie
03-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Why not skip the stroller on the trip to NYC, buy what you want in NYC and take it home?