PDA

View Full Version : 2nd stroller for airplane trip w/newborn

savannah
02-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi!

I'm hoping the experts might be able to help me. I am expecting this spring and will be taking my 7 wk newborn on a 2 hr plane ride and vacation to Cape Cod. I'm from Boston and know baby and I will be flying home to see family a lot in the coming year(s). We already have a '05 Pliko P3 with Primo Viaggio car seat. But I am not looking forward to bringing a pricey stroller on the plane with me. I would like to get a cheaper and relatively lightweight 2nd stroller that I could use for these trips. That way, if the stroller gets irreparably damaged by baggage handlers, I'll only be out $100 or so for a replacement. I love the low end MacLarens and Chicco Tuscany, but I want to make sure they are newborn friendly. We use the Primo Viaggio car seat at home but will probably travel with a lightly used Snugride.

Any input on the MacLaren Triumph, Volo, or Chicco Tuscany (formerly Chicco London)? Or any other brand/model recommendations?

Thanks!!

Savannah

pittsburghgirl
02-15-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't think any of the strollers you listed are suitable for a 7 week old due to recline (or limits thereof). The triumph says 3 months, the Volo & Chicco are 6 mo and up strollers. If you don't plan to spend a lot of time "strolling" on your early trips, maybe a Snap n Go or UCSC would be the best choice? I wouldn't want to use that if I planned on having the baby in it a lot of the time, but for the airport and short trips it would probably be a good choice.

An alternative to the Triumph would be the Silver Cross Mini, around the same price I believe and has a good recline. arunningstroller.com has them and free shipping.

There aren't many inexpensive umbrella fold type strollers truly suitable for newborns. I wouldn't use a non-reclining stroller at 6 months, either. (I put DS in a Volo at about 10 months and he still didn't look very comfy so we haven't bought a super lightweight yet.) I also would not be comfortable with a stroller without any kind of napper or snack bar -- my DS is a "lunger" and has been for some time; I would have to have him really tightly strapped in one of the strollers you list to feel confident he wouldn't fall out, whereas in my ZStreet he is strapped in the 5 pt harness but not tightly, he can still sit forward a little to look around. (FWIW, we have traveled numerous times with our ZStreet and no damage gate-checking it (although it's navy blue so I probably wouldn't notice if there were dirt marks on it) but I understand why you don't want to risk your P5.)

ETA: you can get an 03 Zooper Zstreet on ebay for about $120 incl shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2989&item=4338675154&tc=photo
it's not that lightweight (17 lbs) but it's doable and is full-featured, all the accessories included.)

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

savannah
02-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Thank you for all of your insights and advice! Pretty obvious I'm a first time mom, huh? :) I've been looking at strollers online tonight and am without my sacred BB book because I lent it to a friend. I didn't realize that the Swift and Chicco didn't have full recline, so yes, they're out. I will take a look at the Silver Cross Mini and Zooper ZStreet. It hadn't even ocurred to me to consider the comfort and practical aspects of the lightweight strollers...I have been too focused on aesthetics!

Thanks again!!

Savannah

mams99
02-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Well...let me ask you this... what are sleeping plans for the baby while you are on this trip? Naps? overnight? IF... you don't have a baby bed, then I would highly consider getting a stroller with carrycot or at least a stroller that has a COMPLETELY flat fold so that baby can sleep comfortably.

I too am planning a trip when this "soon to be" baby arrives. I know we will be out and about most days and I felt that getting a GREAT stroller was important as it would probably get the MOST use then than any other time. A cheapo stroller is just that - cheap and I want my baby to be comfortable while we are using a stroller so much. In my case I opted for the MBUS with carrycot, but we will be on rough terrain, baby needs a bed, and so on. That might not be the case for you.

If you are mostly just hanging out at relative's homes, then anything would work really, but I wouldn't worry about saving your stroller - it's what you got it for! :-) Also... if you think you will be travellng back and forth a lot... maybe leaving a stroller with the folks is a good idea (but then what to do with the trip home with no stroller, right?)

There are no easy answers, but I guess I just feel bad for babies in crappy strollers all day long - they LOOK uncomfortable! (Not saying you would do that!)

Melissa

savannah
02-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks so much, pittsburgh girl, for the suggestion. I spent hours last night reading more reviews of the '03 zooper zstreet on this board, and was really blown away. The reviews were as positive as the ones I'd read on my Pliko P3. I was going back and forth between registering at BRU for a Metrolite or buying the zstreet myself on ebay. In the end it was such a great deal for a clearly superior stroller that I decided I couldn't resist. And my superficial concerns about it not matching my car seat, etc..., are irrelevant since it will be a travel stroller for now. I can't wait for it to arrive!!

Savannah

gisele
02-16-2005, 01:48 PM
At 7 weeks, the SC mini isn't appropriate either - baby has to be at least 3 months old and that's pushing it.

Honestly, I would just bring the P3 and the Viaggio. There are really no other strollers suitable and the chances that you stroller will get damaged are actually pretty small. I've gate checked a Peg Atlantico and a Peg Aria several times and they were always fine.

If you really want a lighter stroller, then maybe the Peg Aria that accepts your Viaggio. They are often on Ebay. While the baby is too young to be in the Aria, it should be OK if you use it with the car seat.

omgrown
02-16-2005, 02:00 PM
I was going to say the same thing about the SC Mini. I just tried one out in a store last week with my almost 4 month old and there was no way I would feel safe with him in it let alone a 7 week old. I did try out a Zooper Rhumba which was much better and pretty lightweight. They're also going for good prices on ebay. I would really suggest a Snap-N-Go or Kolcraft UCSC as an option. We've been on 2 trips with DS so far and used the Snugride w/Kolcraft UCSC and it worked out great. We gate checked it and it was totally fine, its nice and lightweight and its only about $50 so not the end of the world if it gets lost or whatever. However, it does have a short usage life which is a con.
FWIW, I just ordered a 2005 P3 since DS is just about out of the Snugride/UCSC combo and I'll be using it for travel as well. I'll probably get a bag for it for gatechecking it to keep it safe and clean.

hardysmom
02-16-2005, 04:13 PM
I always take the stroller I want for the trip instead of stressing about the plane ride/airport. Babies seem to spend more time in the stroller when you are away from home- the P3 would be a nice, flexible travel stroller- I always used my Zippy.

Plus, it is nice when the carseat will fit in the stroller. Makes getting to the plane much easier and if there is a spare aseat on the plane, they will give the baby a seat for free if you have a carseat.

Stephanie