PDA

View Full Version : Travel Stroller

stuff714
02-16-2005, 08:15 PM
I have a Bugaboo which I adore. I also have a Primo Viaggio which I hate. Here is my delima... I am taking two plane trips in the next few months. My DD will be 4 and 5 months when we go. I don't want to take my Bug on the plane so I need a stroller I can take and gate check. I would eventually like to get an umbrella stroller for later on but for this purpose I want something I can plug my infant carrier into for travelling through the airport. I don't want to use a UCSC because I don't like leaving her in the infant carrier for long periods of time (once we get to our destinations). I am thinking about a P3, Zippy, or Camden. I like the Camden the best but it only takes a Snugride.

Here is delima #2...is it worth it to get a Snugride at this point. DD is 3 months, 11 lbs. and 23 inches? I could take it with us without having to lug the PP base around too. Also the canopy is sooo much better. Or do I just deal with the Primo Viaggio for the time remaining and get a P3 or Zippy?

Thanks for your help!

savannah
02-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry I can't offer you much advice because I'm still waiting for the little one to arrive. I received the Primo Viaggio to go with my P3. The carseat is untouched but my DH has the P3 sitting in our living room and we're already in love with it. We registered for the Primo because it had such a good safety rating and obviously matches the P3. Just out of curiosity, why do you hate the Primo? Do you wish you had gotten a snugride instead? Thanks and good luck wtih your travel decision!

stuff714
02-16-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't like my Primo because it has a very small canopy compared to the Graco and she doesn't have as much room in it. I borrowed a friends Snugride and she seems more comfortable. Also, you always have to have the base which makes traveling more cumbersome. That is just what I have found.

savannah
02-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks! That's really helpful.

Savannah

MarisaSF
02-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Since you like the Camden best, could you borrow your friend's snugride for the trips?

My DD is 6 months now. We just transitioned her out of the snugride. She hasn't grown out of it, I just got tired of lugging it around and wanted to simplify things. I certainly missed it today. While running errands, she fell asleep in her carseat twice.

So, depending on your DD's size or growth curve (mine is 50-75 percentile), she should have some more time in it. A friend's baby was still in his till 1 year. Snugride's aren't expensive. Perhaps sell your PV?

jesseandgrace
02-16-2005, 10:39 PM
I would say it depends on money. If it doesn't matter, or if you can sell your other carseat, definitely swap to the snugride. It is the safest carseat on the market (last I checked), the sunshade really is good, and you can use it with the Bugaboo frame very easily. But, the main reason I would get it if i were you is that it sounds like you have some time before your baby will grow out of it, mine grew out before 6 months, but she was very big, and it sounds like you travel alot like we did. The snugride is so convenient for travel because you don't have to bring the base. I actually used the snugride on an airplane even after dd outgrew it and checked the regular carseat because it was so much easier to get through the airport. I'm not saying do that because I know it isn't as safe, but man is it convenient! You would have the expense of the new carseat, and then the expense of the attachment bar for the Bugaboo, so if that isn't a big deal for you I would go for it. For what its worth I did travel with the Bugaboo. I used the frame with the snugride to get to the gate, popped out the snugride and gate cheked the frame. I packed the seat and any accessories and other baby stuff in the carry bag and checked it with the luggage.

mams99
02-16-2005, 11:34 PM
My biggest question is, how long is your daughter now? My big "annoyance" with all these strollers that take Viaggio and Snugride are that they are the two smallest car seats on the market (so is the Combi Tyro). My son outgrew the 26" limit at 3 months, so I would say it's not worth it (and it's why I bought the HEAVY Britax Companion - the 30 inch limit!) if your child is long... but... if you child is not so big, then go for it and switch to the car seat you BOTH love. You can always swap or sell the viaggio as people want them for their matching stroller compatibility. Good luck!

Melissa

JennsBabySky
02-17-2005, 02:20 AM
I understand the desire to want an easier to use transport carseat. I purchased the Britax Companion while I was pg because we were going on a plane trip when he was 8 months old and I thought it would be easier with an infant seat. But it was a little neurotic make this decision like 10 months before our trip. That said, it was so much easier to travel with the Companion (popped into our P3) then the next plane trip we had with the Marathon and the E3 with doubles. If my older daughter had not insisted on riding in the stroller, I was planning on strapping my Marathon carseat into my Triumph or P3 with a bungee cord. I tried it with the P3 and it worked great without the front tray. I would have felt comfortable strapping my son into the carseat strapped into the stroller. So, another option may be to get an umbrella type stroller and strap in your convertible carseat. This way, you'll get plenty of use out of the carseat (you'll eventually need it) and you'll have a more versatile second stroller.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck,
Jennifer

LSipelis
02-19-2005, 11:37 PM
It sounds like you have really enjoyed the Bugaboo. I am thinking of getting this stroller but I am confused about the infant seats that work with the Bugaboo. It seems that the Primo Viaggio is the only one that works and that one has the base issue. Do you have any suggestions or thoughts about the Bugaboo that I should be aware of before making this as my storller of choice?

Thanks!

AbbieF
02-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Personally, I love my Zippy. I also liked the Camden, but the non adjustable foot rest kind of bugged me. What ultimately sold me on the Zippy is the ease of folding and closing, once you get the feel of it and that the stroller doesn't collapse on the ground but actually stands. That was huge for me being that we're in the North East and have snow almost 5 months if not more of the year. I didn't want to lay the stroller in the muck and then put baby in it.
I also had a snug ride, but DD was out of it around 5 mths and between 4 and 5 mths I stopped carting it around because with her in it, it was so heavy I injured my wrist. Are you purchasing a seat for the baby on the plane? If not, you won't take the car seat on the plane with you-you'll check it and then gate check the stroller. You'll definitely have your stroller a whole lot longer than the infant car seat, so pick what you like.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

stuff714
02-20-2005, 03:14 PM
You can use the Snugride or the Primo Viaggio with the Bugaboo. Your have to purchase the adapter for the infant carrier seperately so you just buy the adapter for the infant carrier you choose. The Graco adapter is actually a little easier, it is only one piece vs. the 2 piece Peg adapter. I LOVE my Bugaboo. I wasn't sold on it when I got it (I took the advice of a friend) but once I started using it I have been so happy with it. It is very light and steers so easily (you can turn around in an elevator with people in it). My DD napped in the bassinet downstairs when she was little and napping all the time. She is now 3 months and we just now switched to to stroller seat. She still fits in the bassinet but she likes to see out now and gets frustrated with the bassinet when we're on walk because she can't see as much of the world. I don't like keeping her in the infant carrier for long periods of time but the option of using it with the Bugaboo is very conveinent for shorter in and out of the car trips. Alot of people are turned away by the two part fold. Once you use it for a week or so it becomes second nature. It is not as convenient as an umbrella fold but it has never been a problem for me. I have an SUV so I don't fold it all the way to its most compact state. When I chose it I thought it would probably be my only stroller until my DD was older and I would get a lightweight umbrella stroller but I have since changed my mind as I don't really want to use my Bug for air travel and she is too small for a lightweight umbrella so I am going to have to get something in the meantime. I do know people who travel with their Bugs, I just don't want to risk it. Overall, I love it and would highly recommend it. Good luck!

ejj
02-20-2005, 04:32 PM
You can use either the Peg or the Graco infant seats--you need to buy the $45 adaptor either way.

lmariana
02-21-2005, 09:11 AM
After traveling with my Bugaboo the first time, I came home and bought a Zippy. The Bug did great on the trip, and it was perfect for our destination, but the fold and getting through security was a pain. Unless you have a very helpful second pair of hands with you, it will be most difficult. You know, you actually have to put the stroller through the x-ray machine??

So, I went with the Zippy simply because of the one-hand open/close. I was pleasantly surprised by the Zippy's generous canopy, easy recline, nice seat, adjustable footrest, and good handling. It's no Bugaboo, but I think it will really make you happy.

I use my Zippy now for travel and on rainy days! It's nice to have a quick open/close stroller when your standing out in the rain putting your stroller back in the car. :)

I can't give you any good advice about the Snugride/Primo Viaggio situation. Personally, I think it would be in your best interest to save your money, not get the Snugride, and just upgrade to a convertible seat. We moved Gabe into the Britax Marathon at 5 months, and he loved it so much more. He still fit in the infant carrier, but he just didn't look comfortable anymore.

Since you don't actually "need" the infant carrier anymore for the stroller, and she'll be outgrowing it in a few months anyways...I'd just go ahead and get the convertible seat and deal with the annoying Primo Viaggio for now....just my 2 cents though!!!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051024/0/21/1/-5/.png

writeleigh
02-21-2005, 05:11 PM
We started with a snugride. But we moved Liam into a Britax Marathon around 4 months old. He outgrew the snugride so quickly!