PDA

View Full Version : What is the best reversible handle stroller?

Elizasmom
02-19-2005, 09:36 PM
I want to buy a newborn stroller that will also work well through the toddler years. I have had a reversible handle stroller in the past (Peg Perego Roma) and loved it. However, I'm not that wild about the Peg Venezia. I hear that Peg has a new seat where the seat itself somehow reverses, but I want to just be able to flip the handle over. Can someone please lay out all my options? I wish I could get a Zooper or Inglenzia that would do this. Thanks.

Elizasmom
02-19-2005, 10:21 PM
What about the Bumbleride Flyer? Anyone know anything about it? It looks great!

Elizasmom
02-19-2005, 10:21 PM
What about the Bumbleride Flyer? Anyone know anything about it? It looks great!

dules
02-19-2005, 11:06 PM
If you consider reversible seats instead of just reversible handles, your options increase significantly...Zooper, Valco, Inglesina to name a few.

Best,
Mary

tinkerbell1217
02-21-2005, 08:15 AM
The Apricas have reversible handles (Boardwalk and Promenade) and are relatively lightweight with full recline and full features (except they don't take infant car seats). I believe the new Combi I Thru has a reversible seat or handle (not sure which). The Graco Coach Rider has a reversible seat, but I have had experience with this one through a friend and it isn't a very long lasting stroller! Quinny has reversible seat too. A newer brand called Compass has reversible handlebar too. One Step Ahead also has a reversible handle stroller called the Premier Carriage stroller. I don't know what name brand it is as they don't seem to like advertising that in their catalog. It looks nice and plush though.

What aren't you wild about the Venezia?? Its a reveriable handle stroller with many nice features and its plush for baby too. Never heard of a Peg that the seat reverses instead of the handlebar.

Elizasmom
02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I am not wild about the Venezia because I had one for a day and returned it after finding that it seemed to bulky and the handle (due to the height adj. feature) seemed too wobbly. I was used to my Roma, which I LOVED. The Roma was broken in a car accident and Peg had discontinued it by them. Well, I found a perfectly preserved Roma on Ebay and just won it. The ROMA is a lot like the Venezia but lighter and more simple. I absolutely love it. They didn't make it after about 1999.

tinkerbell1217
02-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I remember the Roma although I never owned one. Glad you won the stroller!!! Sounds like a perfect match for you! :)

Lots of luck!

CPSDarren
02-23-2005, 02:05 PM
>too. A newer brand called Compass has reversible handlebar
>too. One Step Ahead also has a reversible handle stroller
>called the Premier Carriage stroller. I don't know what name
>brand it is as they don't seem to like advertising that in
>their catalog. It looks nice and plush though.

I am also looking for a reversible stroller. I'm trying to find one with a reversible seat and large enough wheels such that it can also be used occasionally on uneven pavement, grass or gravel. I had hoped to find one under 25 pounds or so with at least a book fold to fit in the back of a van or wagon.

I am almost certain the One Step Ahead Premiere Carriage Stroller is the same as the Compass s300 stroller. The One Step Ahead version has their logo on it, comes with a boot and a zippered storage basket. If you look on the compassbaby.com website, you will find instructions for a "s320" model that appears to be the One Step Ahead version, since the s320 model is sold nowhere else I can find. Both models have a reversible handle. I don't know anything else about these models, since they are nowhere to be found locally even thogh stores like Target carry it online. The main disdvantage appears to be that only one set of wheels swivels. So, unlike the Venezia, handling may be awkward when reversed.

I liked the Venezia for all the features, but it seemed a bit low and had smaller wheels. I've heard it gets stuck somewhat easily on cracks and bumpy pavement. It also didn't seem to handle real well, but still better than the Century it would replace. On the plus side, both sets of wheels swivel and lock, which is a big advantage for a model with a reversible handle.

The Bumbleride Flyer looks nice for the price, but I've read that the handling is poor when the handle is reversed. Again, because only one set of wheels swivels and the other doesn't lock, similar to the s300.

I am also considering the Zooper Zydeco. It has every feature I want, but it is rather bulky when folded and quite heavy at over 30 pounds. Granted, it is more of an all-terrain stroller that might double for brisk walking or occasional light jogging. The Boogie is essentially the same, $80 less but omits the seat suspension, infant head insert, "ergonomic" handle and carrycot.

I'm also strongly considering the Inglesina Magnum with the Allum stroller chassis. It's the most expensive of those I am considering, and there's a question as to whether or not it folds within the chassis or must be removed first. It's also a bit heavy at about 28 pounds combined. On the plus side, it seems tall and stylish and supposedly handles extremely well on pavement or off.

There are a few other models that remain a possibility but all have disadvantages for me, also. The Valco Rebel and Combi I-thru come to mind. I'd also consider some of the Bebecar, BebeConfort and Aprica models used, as they are too expensive new.

Any other suggestions?

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

tinkerbell1217
02-23-2005, 05:18 PM
The Combi I-Thru was reviewed earlier today and it didn't sound too good to me. I know nothing about any Zooper strollers so can't help with that. I have heard good things about the Bumbleride though. I have to say my favorite is Aprica. Yes, they are expensive new, but they are also nice and lightweight too. Seems the more lightweight and full featured, the more expensive!

CPSDarren
02-23-2005, 05:45 PM
The Combi looks like it's nice enough if you want an ultra-light reversible. In shaving the 5-10 pounds off other reversibles, they had to make some compromises, much like their ultra-light umbrella folders compared to some mid-size models.

The Bumbleride looks very nice. Given the lack of swivel wheels on one side, I'd definitely want to try it before buying it. Unfortunately, there are very few retailers anywhere near Chicago. The closest is almost 2 hours from me in typical traffic:-(

I have seen the Aprica models. Very chic in appearance. I think I might have to find one used, given the price. I'm also not sure how the wheels and suspension are for use in gravel or grass. I really want something with wheels larger than 6" and a good suspension system. Sadly, most websites don't included that information....

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

mabun3
02-23-2005, 07:16 PM
I have the bumbleride flyer and love it. It is awesome on uneven ground. I have only used the reversible handle for one long walk and it steered fine.

My biggest problem with it is the fold. I have to put the handle bar down a little to reach to the seat to fold it and it is a two handed fold but it is getting easier each time.

Too bad you can't check it out though. It is a awesome stroller!

Michele

kcimato
02-23-2005, 09:05 PM
I just ordered the Aprica Windsor Prestige from www.babyride.com It has a reversible handle. Aprica tells me the wheels are 6 in. Don't know how that works on grass and gravel. However, we bought the MBUS to use outdoors. Oh yes, the Aprica was priced at $199 no shipping no tax.