PDA

View Full Version : Best stroller for special needs child

lauranotdigangi
02-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first post, although before my daughter was born, I did spend alot of time cruising around baby butts looking for cloth diaper info. However, I put off researching strollers, deciding that I would wait until I determined how I would use a stroller before I got one. It was a good thing too, because my little gal is a special needs kid, and may not walk, at least not for awhile. She's about to turn one and I've HAD IT with my cheapie umbrella model. It's time to upgrade!

So now my question is, what's the best stroller for a kid who you know is going to be using it full time for many years? Who has the highest weight limit? Is there a height limit as well? I was thinking of the Maclaren line because I'd like something reliable and lightweight for hauling in and out of the trunk and I saw that they had a 55 lb weight limit. It turns out that I'm a mall crawler type. But no napper bar or cup holders for mom??? Hmmm. I'm really lost and in need of advice.

Thanks!

Laura

kcimato
02-20-2005, 09:44 PM
I work with special needs kids and I believe Maclaren makes strollers specifically for special needs.

lauranotdigangi
02-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Thank you so much! I just went and checked it out online and it's definitely good to know about in case we need it in the future. For now I was thinking of a more mainstream model figuring that will cover us for the next few years. After that, we can reasses what we need. Hopefully we won't need anything special by then because she's doing really well. Thanks for your input though.

Laura

ktdid74
02-20-2005, 10:24 PM
I would think a P3 or MBUS would be great! I don't know exactly how much the p3 can hold but both my kids ride in/on it at the same time and they equal about 70lbs. I think the weight limit on the MB is 75lbs (for the '05). I love both of these strollers. The MB isn't lightweight but pushes so easily with a bigger kid riding. Sometimes DS rides and he's almost 40lbs. The MB has an optional napper bar though I don't have one on mine right now. HTH--

hardysmom
02-20-2005, 11:02 PM
You can add a cupholder to almost any stroller. They are available at BRU or fancier full consoles can be found online... I wouldn't use it as criteria to rule out any stroller.

I'd say with a 1 yr old, a full sized Maclaren (like a Techno), Mountain Buggy, Inglesina Zippy, or Peg P3 would be the best options. I've used them all and each has strengths.

The Mac is the easiest to haul in and out of the car, is very narrow/nimble for indoor use, and is easy to load/unload the child since there isn't a napper bar. It is a great toddler stroller.

The MB has incredible steering and rolls over everything. It is as good (or better) outside and inside. It is a little bulkier/more awkward when folded than the other choices, though it isn't super heavy.

The Zippy and P3 are fairly interchangable- there are small differences that make some prefer one over the other. Both are excellent all-around strollers and will last a long time.

Stephanie

tinkerbell1217
02-21-2005, 05:56 AM
The Mac the PP was speaking of is the one I have for my son. Its called the Major Buggy and is nice for an older child up to over 100 pounds. Here is a link. BTW, the website I am posting has many choices available. We used an Aprica when DS was small until he reached 50 pounds and then I bought the Maclaren. It is pricey, but we have had it now for 8 yrs and its still going strong!!

http://www.adaptivemall.com/mainbug.html

ksenn
02-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Laura,

I too have a "special needs" child (she has Down syndrome) and we have a P3 for mall crawling. She loves it! The umbrella type dont work well for her because of her low tone and she just slouches something horrible. She loves to sit up and hold on to the napper/snack trays on strollers. I also have two older kiddos and my 4yr old stands on the foot board on the back. She is 25lbs and he is 45, so it holds tons of weight.

She turns 2 yrs old this week and isnt walking yet, but should be in the next few months (i hope!). So, I completely understand the weight limit issue. If she has issues walking for longer periods of time when she is a lot older, we might buy the Mac stroller as a last resort, but there plenty now that work just fine. Some of the three wheelers also hold a lot of weight, but arent as compact, regular Mac strollers hold up to 55lbs. The volo might be a good alternative rather than spending $500 for a "special" Mac stroller.

Hope this helps!

Kristen

Mom to

Mason 9
Nolan 4
Payton 2 (this week)

tinkerbell1217
02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
The one good thing about spending $500 on the Mac Major Buggy is it last way up til the kid is over 100 pounds without having to buy anything like a wheelchair. My DS has mild Cerebral Palsy and has walking issues. He doesn't do well walking for extended periods of time. I did not want to spend that much, but for us it made sense. He is 14, weighs about 95 pounds, and still fits comfortably in his stroller and loves riding when he gets tired. If the OP needs something to last years it is well worth the money once her child outgrows a traditional stroller.

lauranotdigangi
02-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for writing! I've learned so much. The link is great - I really thought we would wind up going stroller to wheelchair. I had no idea there were other options, like the Mac Buggy. I guess you can tell how much experience I have! Sophia has low muscle tone also but I can see how having no napper bar would be great for getting her in and out quickly, especially when she gets bigger. Good luck with your little gal Kristin. Hope she gets on the move soon!

Thanks again everyone!

Laura

tinkerbell1217
02-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Lots of luck with your DD. If you ever need an ear or shoulder I am here!! BTDT with sooo many things!

Sillygirl
02-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Just wanted to point out that BabyAge.com is having a sale on Maclaren strollers. They've gotten some bad reviews recently but I bought a ton of stuff from them and have been very pleased by their customer service. There's a 10% off discount code posted on the Cyber board as well. I wish I had bought the Maclaren, I'm too tall for my stroller, and this sale is calling to me - but I'm resisting for now! Good luck with your purchase!

JenzooBen
02-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi,

My son also has low muscle tone - FYI, there is a hypotonia support group on Ivillage, if you're interested - it's an awesome support group.

The Maclaren Major can be covered by insurance(if you have durable equipment coverage) - you just need a script and there should be a local rep that can get it for you. We were going to get it but my DS won't ride in a stroller anymore even though he does get fatigued after long walks..

Jenny

MamaKath
02-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Laura,
Welcome, it takes a tremendous amount of courage to be so honest in your search for the right stroller for your dd. I am sorry to hear that your dd is having some problems, but I KNOW that you will find an amazing amount of information and support on these boards. These ladies are AWESOME!!!!! Many more "hang" in the lounge and it is a fabulous way to get support or more information when you need it.

Stroller-wise- Don't let the bar/tray on the P3 totally knock it out, it is easily removable (or can swing open). The seat in it for a child may be a little more comfy for a low muscle tone baby, though you could check with your doctor or therapist for their thoughts. It has a high weight limit as the frames are made to hold a child in the seat and one on the steps in the back. It would be my first choice for a special needs babay since the seat is wider and a bit more accomodating for a bigger rider. I know my kids (now 3 and 5.5, not special needs though) feel the Pegs and Apricas are more comfortable for them to sit/ride in then the Macs.

Maclarens and Mountain Buggies are also amazing buggies though too. The seats tend to be more hammocky and lean back a bit. Some kids HATE that while others LOVE it! The Maclarens tend to be tippy, especially when you hang things on the handles which always concerns me. The 3 wheeler hybrids (Mountain Buggy, Valco, Phil & Ted's Kiwi) all have a variety of features to offer and might well make excellent strollers for your situation.

Good luck finding the right stroller, I am sure the info you have already recieved will get you started well!!! :-)

lauranotdigangi
02-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, once again, thanks to everyone! I was in BRU for what felt like hours today, banging around the floor models, and finally went with the P3. I wouldn't have considered it if not for you all. I appreciate all the support and hope I can return the favor someday. Good luck with all your little and not-so-little ones!

Laura and Sophia

ksenn
02-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I think your really gonna love it! Congrats to you and Sophia.