PDA

View Full Version : I got to see and play with the Combi I-Thru, here are my thoughts...m

MamaKath
02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
This stroller is brand new this year and has many neat features. It looked like a sure hit when I saw it online, but after playing in person I am rethinking that impression. http://store.yahoo.com/combi/coist1.html (not a store I know, just posting so you can see a picture and the features)

Features-
*1 hand close
*reversible seat
*big basket
*big canopy
*water bottle holders
*harness
*snack tray
*boot

My impressions- The look is sweet from afar! A true carriage style stroller. The colors are perfect for the look many folks like, earthy yet trendy. When looking closer it strikes me the seat is VERY small! Not nearly as large as my reversible Aprica or Peg Perego. I started to play with the features.

I found the one hand fold to be great! A safety is pushed to the side to open or close, automatically locking it (Apricas need to be pushed into a locked or unlocked each time for comparison). The seat is a bit more difficult to deal with. Recline is easy, but I had a heck of a time with the reversing feature. I am sure it would become easier with use, but it just added to my frustrations.

I decided to take it for a test run. The steering is awful!!!! It felt looser than any Combi I have tried (including the convenience models which I always found awful) and the Apricas which many people hate. I had no kids with me, so I through a couple products in the seat for weight, hoping for improvement. No luck!!!

The other big downfall for me was the actual material of the hood, boot, and accents on it. The colored part (the orange or olive or sand part, not the seat itself) was like a denim canvas type cotton material. That in itself isn't terrible, it was that I found it a bit scratchy. i couldn't imagine having to touch it myself daily, let alone a baby or young child! The seat itself felt plush and was of a smoother fabric which I did like, though the color was sooooo very light. I think it would be difficult to keep clean. I would be interested in knowing how well it washes and how easy the fabric is to remove. The boot (I didn't look to see what it is lined in) is on the shorter size, comparable to that of an Aprica.

Overall, it was a bit of a letdown. I would love to see a more solid feeling reversible handle model come out in their line! They do well with colors and features, this is no exception their, but they miss with most customers when it comes to steering and seat size. Combi please go back to the drawing board and make this concept better!!! You are headed in the right direction, just not there... yet.

sobers3
02-23-2005, 07:55 AM
I also looked at it at BBB. I kept checking to see if the wheels were locked the steering was so poor. In the full recline position, the bed was so shallow, barely a tiny lip to call a little bed. I was also very suprised at the size of the metal tubing for the frame, it was very thin. Just like you, I thought the pictures were much more flattering. It's a shame, as the concept is really nice. I hope they make some improvements.