PDA

View Full Version : MBUS 2005 for a Newborn?

Calla
02-26-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm getting close to purchasing the 2005 Mountain Buggy for my baby that is due at the end of March. I had a few questions for MBUS owners that I would appreciate your insight on...

1) How young was your baby when you started using the MBUS?
2) Did you buy the carrycot/carseat attachment?
3) Did you use an insert of some sort to make the seat more cozy?
4) Can you fold it while holding your baby?

The store I went to recommended buying the lillebaby travel system with the MBUS (http://www.lillebaby.com/5in1feature.html). Has anyone tried that?

Thanks all!!

hardysmom
02-27-2005, 02:09 PM
I have used an 2004 MBUD for my twins since birth (they were about 6 lbs). The MBUS and MBUS are so similar that I think I can answer your questions.

Althought there is more padding in the '05, with a newborn, I would still want some kind of liner or fleece. Personally, I prefer something more like a Bowron Fleecestroller liner which stays in the stroller, particularly in the spring/summer. It breethes well and will be soft and wick moisture w/o getting too hot. I can't imagine using the lillie baby travel system when it is warm, but that is just me. Plus, it looks a little too bulky for my needs.

here is a Bowron link w/ a good retailer- http://stores.kiwi-kid.com/Search.bok

Many of us use them with MBs. I think the favorite place to buy a MB online is arunningstroller.com (Marilyn) she will usually throw in a free Snuzzler, which may be enough for you if you are trying to keep costs down. In the beginning, I put the Snuzzler on top of my Bowron, but my babies were very tiny.

With a newborn, the harness of a MB is big, I just started with the 3 pt... oit isn't like a newborn is going to wiggle out of a lap belt.

I did not use a carseat adapter, not would I recommend one- get a Snap N Go if you feel the need for a travel system and save your MB for longer outings. You can find a SNG for about the same price as the MB bar... I would find it a pain to deal with the bar and seat cover.

No, you can't hold a baby and fold a MB. Its fold is easy, but not one handed. Very few strollers could be folded while holding a newborn (a few more could be managed with a toddler with better neck/torso control). Really, the only newborn friendly stroller with a true one-handed fold would be the Inglesina Zippy.

Hope this helps.

Stephanie

JacobConnorsMomma
03-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Stephanie,

I read your post, and I have a few questions about the Bowron fleece liner. I just ordered the MBUD from Right Start for my baby #2 to be in June (you gave me some helpful insights on your Aria Twin vs the MBUD on the swap board this past weekend) and my toddler who will be 22 mos. I wanted to know if you think I need the Bowron for both kids or if its meant for the newborn? Its kinda pricey, so I didn't want to have to shell out for two. Also, if I get the Bowron, do you think that I should also get the Snuzzler for the newborn, or is that too much insert? Lastly, I was also wondering if you think that the Bowron is still necessary if I am going to use the Bundle Me when the weather turns colder. I have the Bundle Me infant and toddler from my ds which I will use for the newborn. Thanks so much for your help.

mbutler
03-03-2005, 12:04 AM
We bought the carrycot and used it from the first day as our daughter's bassinet. It was very convenient because we could wheel her around the house while she was sleeping and could rock her back in forth when she was having trouble sleeping. At eight weeks, we put the carrycot in her crib so that she would get used to the change from our room and then finally removed it and had her sleep directly in the crib. We rarely if ever used it outside the house though. We just used her infant car seat.

gatorsmom
03-03-2005, 11:45 PM
I am the proud owner of a 2003 MBUS and a 2005 MBUD. These are the only strollers I've owned (although have pushed some of my friends' strollers, if that counts for experience). I bought the MBUS before my first child was born in July of 2003. As soon as my c-section healed I started using that stroller with my son right away. That model didn't have much padding (the 2005s have a bit more padding in the seat, but I would still recommend getting the snuzzler). So I ordered a Snuzzler and that worked really well with my newborn when we went walking. We live in Minnesota so the fleece side was warm for fall walking and the cotton side was nice for summer.

As for going to the mall or traveling, I stripped the fabric down at home and used the carseat clip on the frame and that worked really well. (with the 2005 MBUD you attach the car seat clip right over the seat, no need to remove the fabric seat, so it's that much easier to use with the infant seat). I highly recommend the car seat clip. It makes transferring the baby so much easier to the car. If they fall asleep while you are shopping, you can just the infant seat out and set it in the car seat cradle without having to wake the baby. Once they are safely in the car and out of the parking lot traffic, you can load all your shopping bags and fold up the stroller. Even now i'm still in the habit when I'm done shopping of loading my son in the car first before even thinking about unloading packages, etc. It would just figure that the one time I turn my back from him to put something in the car, some idiot driver would hit him and the stroller.