PDA

View Full Version : What has been your stroller timeline...

fairygodnana
02-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Hi ladies, I know many of you are multiple stroller owners due to the fact that babies and their mommies needs change as their little ones grow. So, out of curiousity what strollers have you owned since the birth of your little one(s) and reasons for the the transition. Can't wait to read the responses!

pittsburghgirl
02-28-2005, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't call myself a true multiple stroller owner but I thought I'd start to bump this up for you.

We have a Zooper ZStreet which was our first stroller. Took the Snugride, use it for most purposes now.

Then, I got a Zooper Buddy off ebay when I discovered that our streets are too bumpy to use a regular stroller (no sidewalks on most of my walking route.) I would have loved a Boogie but at the time, DH didn't understand why we needed more than one.

My next purchase (I have been trying to decide for several months) is a very lightweight stroller - something like a Silver Cross Micro or Mac Volo. I was all set on the Micro until I read posts about problems with the wheels so now I'm leaning Volo but still wondering if there is something else I will like better!

In an ideal world I would have an MBUS or Valco, but the budget won't manage that and I would want to be driving a wagon or SUV rather than my sedan for the in and out of the trunk factor. I like the idea of the Valco toddler seat in case we are lucky enough to have another child.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

mom_of_gia
02-28-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm also very interested in the replies to this post.

I have one 6 mos old daughter. 1st we used the travel system stroller from babytrend. It's an okay stroller, but once DD grew out of the infant seat (3 1/2 mos old) I wanted an umbrella stroller and a better quality stroller w/canopy and trays.

We purchased a used Atlantico that has a wonderful sunshade for trips to the FL attractions. It's only ok for our neighborhood strolls because I kick the wheels and also we have uneven sidewalks and brick streets where I live.

We got the Chicco Tuscany for our umbrella stroller and have only used it a couple of times - but so far we like it a lot.

Mum-of-3-Lil-Herberts
02-28-2005, 02:23 PM
This is hard as I have had a fair ammount of strollers since my dd was born 5 years ago over 50 or so anyway. I will go through some what I have had since my last child 16 months was born and I also have another son who is 12 months older than him so I have had a few doubles too.

First I got a graco duo glider with a carseat for my newborn and my 12 month old sat up front, I had this 4 months then he outgrew the infant seat. Then I had a peg Twin aria but as the boys go heavier the stroller became hard to push so I sold it and got another Bertini with toddler seat (I already had 2 of them at this point but wanted this particular pattarn). I also purchased a bertini Shuttle around this time and I acually put both boys in it together for awhile and it worked fairly well for walking my dd to school but decided they needed their own seat and I needed something more rugged for the snow so I got a Valco Twin Runabout which I Still have and Love. Also Dh bought me a stroller for christmas a Emma Cerox which I love but dont oftern use it as its big and heavy. I decided recently to buy a New Quest and I also bought a New P3 for mall trips which works great when I have dh around to push one and I push the other but I found this hard as the other day when going to the mall I had my toddler walking and 16 month old in the quest my toddler was so hard to keep track of it was rediculous so this morning I just bought a Peg Tender XL on ebay LOL.. So hopfully this will work better at the malls when I am alnoe with all the kids. I also just ordered a Bebecar Racer for no particular reason I just realy wanted one and I am hoping to get a buggy board for it for my todder This will be nice to use in the summer walking DD to school with.

So thats about all of them in the last 16 months it sounds alot proberly LOL but not too bad I think my dh Is over getting mad at me now for buying soo many strollers hes at the point where he just shrugs he shoulders now :)

I just realised I have left a few out in those months a kidco double, an 04 P3 in synergy and a bebecar x-fold. Its so hard to keep track I should start writing a list LOL

Victoria Mummy of Lila 05/99
Riley 09/2002
Tommy 10/2003

hardysmom
02-28-2005, 05:23 PM
So many have passed through our garage. I'll just do the highlights...

It all started with a Peg Milano, given as a gift by my MIL when I was pregnant with DS. It was beautiful and I loved the reversible handle. We used it as our only stroller until DS was about 5 months and had outgrown his carseat. By then, I was getting out more and the Milano just seemed huge.

Enter my Maclaren Vogue 2000. Older Vogues were lighter than the current models and had these cute mudguards on the wheels. That stroller started my compulsion. It was my work horse. I just sold it last weekend...

Meanwhile, we were still using the Milano for neighborhood walks and it was getting difficult to push. We were planning a trip to my in-laws ranch in West Texas and I wanted to be able to leave the house (no paved roads, no neighbors for MILES) I ended up getting a Teutonia Y2K Sunny M. Later, I bought a matching carry-cot off German ebay. This was all before the Bugaboo hit the market, so it seemed SOOO expensive.

Around this time I found SWAP and realized that I could (almost) financially support my growing habit by selling (trading in) strollers I wasn't using for ones I wanted to try. What a great idea!!!

I fell in love with Teutonia and would spend all sorts of time researching German strollers... eventually I bought (and sold/tossed out) 3 Teutonia Swings (Rachel's stroller on friends) in a search for a perfect do-everything stroller. Many Swings wobbly wheels. One of my Swings came from a mom who imported it from Germany then had twins. After I bought it, I found out I was having twins and sold it to a SWAPper who then had twins. It is the legendary elephant print SWAP fertility stroller.

I loved the Teutonia all-terrain so much, but it was difficult to transport (at nearly 40 lbs)... enter the Emmaljunga Husky. Loved that one too. It lived at my mom's horse farm and didn't get much use, so eventually it went to a Swapper who loved it dearly.

And then there was the Zippy I bought for travel when DS was about a year. What a great all-around stroller.

And the 2001 Mac Techno which is the best toddler stroller, ever.

Ah, so many have come and gone... When I found out I was having twins, it was a little sad because I knew I would never again need a single and there just aren't so many "cool" doubles to try... I ordered a Grape MBUD from my hospital bed the same evening I had my girls. Marilyn thought that was pretty funny. I LOVE the MB...

Also, I have an Aria Twin I dislike a lot, but it serves a need for a really light car/errand stroller. Had a Peg MicroTwin I shouldn't have sold...

Before it is over, I would like to try an E3 and a SC Microtwin... I'll get there.

Stephanie

gentlemommy
02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
>And then there was the Zippy I bought for travel when DS was
>about a year. What a great all-around stroller.
>
>And the 2001 Mac Techno which is the best toddler stroller,
>ever.

Stephanie, if you don't mind, which of the two above would you choose, if you could only have one stroller? DD is 8 months - she's the last one and I don't want to buy another stroller after this. :)

To the OP, I'm not a stroller aficianado, but I've had my share of them.

In '98, my step-mom bought me a Graco something-or-other with one-handed fold (ha!). I didn't like it but didn't want to hurt her feelings. I still have it but honestly, it's hardly been used (and is what I'm hoping to get rid of when I buy the next stroller).

My ds was born in Jan '99, and toward the end of that year, I bought a Combi at BRU b/c I wanted something more compact. Man, I hated that stroller. It was flimsy, hard to get ds into and out of, had poor maneuverability, etc. I was glad to unload it at a garage sale for something like $5.

Then dd1 was born, and after my first attempt to go out in public with my 2yo ds and infant dd, I sent dh to the store to get a double stroller. He came home with a Graco LiteRider - a sbs stroller that was pretty decent for the money. It was easy to steer, and I had no complaints...until dd realized she could reach over and pull ds' hair. It went downhill from there, so I put it aside and bought a Graco DuoGlider. Heavy, huge, not easy to steer, but I still liked it. It kept them separated and had a place for snacks and a drink for each of them. It's in my garage now; I'm selling it soon.

DD2 was a surprise - we'd just moved from MD to FL when I found out I was pregnant. A friendly mom I met here was, ahem, kind enough to be moving away and unloaded a bunch of baby stuff, including a Kolcraft universal carrier. LOVE it. But dd's outgrown her infant carrier and it all has to go.

So...I need a new stroller. I never believed that the more expensive strollers were worth it until I tried some of them out. And that's where I am now - trying to decide which stroller to buy that will take dd2 from 8 months to...about 4 years, I guess. I'm considering the Techno, a Zooper Swing, a Zippy and maybe an Espresso.

:)

Natalie

hardysmom
03-01-2005, 09:25 AM
2001 Techno vs a Zippy is a tough call.

With an 8 mo, I would go with the Zippy. The seat is straighter it has a napper bar, full recline, more padding, etc. If your child was older (18 mo) it would be a tougher call. The Mac is so quick and nimble. Plus, w/o a napper it is great when they hit that age where they want in/out/in/out all the time.

The older Technos were great b/c they were so light (13 lbs) but could still handle crummy sidewalks, etc. Incredible to maneuver. Better built than new Macs. However, the seats have a slope which makes younger babies slouch too much. I've used mine occasionally when I only have 1 twin- since about 6 mo, it has been OK, but I wouldn't want them in it for a long outing, just quick errands. It is is a lighter/handier in/out of the car stroller, though the Zippy is by no means difficult. The Zippy's fold is fantastic and makes it seem lighter than it is.

Stephanie

laurena
03-01-2005, 09:24 PM
My DD will turn one in a few weeks and we've only had the Zippy since she was born; I'm still completely happy with it. It took the snugride while we were using it, it's light, easy to fold, and has a great canopy. It works great on Chicago city sidewalks and through snow. I use the "boot" they make for it in this cold weather and DD is happy as a clam in it.

Perhaps during the hot summer I may change my mind and consider the Volo, but for now, I'm a one-stroller mom. :)

ETA: We, in a large part, purchased the Zippy over a year ago due to the rave reviews from this board.

HoneymoonBaby
03-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Our newborn stroller was the Inglesina Zippy, we loved it and still do, but it's for sale right now to finance our latest stroller. Cushy, full recline, huge canopy, napper bar, one-hand fold . . . awesome stroller. I will miss it when it's gone.

Our second stroller we've used from about 6 months on -- a super lightweight Silver Cross Mini that we are quite happy with. It's no Zippy, but it weighs about 4-5 pounds less and folds much smaller, so it's easier to toss in and out of the car while still having a decent recline and canopy.

Our latest purchase was several weeks ago, a Valco Runabout for long walks and offroading/rough trails. I actually used it in the mall today and was thrilled with its performance. Ian is happier in it for long periods than in the SC Mini. It weighs a lot more than either of our two previous strollers and has a tougher fold, but it's a phenomenal stroller. Twelve-inch air tires, front swivel wheel that can be locked in place, effortless one-handed steering, nice padding/recline/canopy, and wonderful versatility since you can add a toddler seat when you have a second child. I LOVE our Valco.