PDA

View Full Version : adopting internationally - stroller for 6 month old?

annc
02-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Hi - this is my first post and I am new to this forum. We are adopting a baby from Guatemala and I have no idea what stroller to get. The baby will probably be between 4 - 6 months old when we get her. I am going to get the Britax convertible car seat. But I don't know what stroller to even look at and if I put an infant car carrier with it? I want a nice lightweight stroller that folds with one hand - but is that good for a baby or toddler? HELP!!! I will use a stroller a lot - shopping, errands, just walking around the neighborhood, etc. I was thinking of the Inglesina, Combi, Maclaren, or Peg. I also need a jogging stroller which I presume I can't use until she is 6 months old? Thank you for any advice you can give me!!!

heatherlynn
02-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Congratulations and welcome!

I am by no means a stroller expert, but I think the only one w/ true one-hand fold is the Inglesina Zippy. The 05 P3s are supposedly one-handed, but you have to fold it w/ one hand at a time. Not sure that makes sense. I have an 03 P3 and I love it. It's good for light neighborhood walking as well as shopping and errands. You could go w/ something like a Mac Quest for shopping/malls/errands and use your jogger for neighborhood walking, too, which may be better depending on your sidewalks. Also, I just bought one of those Vogues at Target. I took it to the mall yesterday and it was awesome! Steering seems even better to me than the Quest, plus it's not as tippy. Quest is about 13# vs. about 15# for the Vogue. I think the 05 P3s are around 18-19#. The P3 and Vogue are sort of similar (at least to me) and I plan to keep the P3 in the car during bad weather months and the Vogue in it during good weather months.

Ok, not sure if I helped and sorry for rambling, but I'm heading at the door!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

pittsburghgirl
02-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Ann,
I can't tell from your post if you are in a city or suburb?

First, you don't need an infant carrier! Your DC will probably be too big for it anyway! Most bigger babies will be way more comfortable in the stroller itself even asleep.

One-handed folded (PP is right, the Zippy is the only true one-hand fold) is fantastic if you are in situations where you are often folding the stroller while holding the baby (like, getting on the bus). But, if you are just getting in and out of the car, you would put the baby in the car seat first, then fold the stroller and stow it so it's not quite as important.

The Zippy has many fans, though. You really need to try it (and anything else) out IRL to know how it feels to push.

The P3 is a great stroller. The Macs are nice too esp if you are tall. Again, test-driving is helpful.

Do you need to take the stroller with you when you go to get your DC? If not, you might just do some shopping ahead of time, pick out a few things you like, and then go shopping with your DC after arrival to see what seems most comfortable for him/her.

Jogging strollers ... are you a runner? Then you will want a true jogger, I can't really give you any advice on that. If you just need something for rugged walking or light jogging there are some great all-terrain strollers (MBUS, Valco, etc.)

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

annc
02-28-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm suburb. I've heard good things about the P3 but it wasn't rated that hot in Consumer Guide. I thought an umbrella stroller would be good for the airport when we pick up the baby and I was also going to get a baby bjorn carrier for when we are in Guatemala. Is the P3 heavy or lightweight and would it be good for the airport? I don't want to check it. Thanks!!!!

I thought the infant carrier would be good because when you are visiting someone's house or at a restaurant or something you could put the baby in there so you don't have to hold her the whole time?

baby
02-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi. If you want a real light weight then I would get a maclaren. They are light weight and a one hand fold, although opening them really takes 2 hands. A maclaren will also be good for a toddler. the inglesina zippy has more features but a lot heavier and in my opinion way to heavy to lift while holding a baby. but ask yourself if you will really be in situations where you will need a one hand fold. i know i needed one because i use public transportation but many women do fine without one handed folds. there are so many options out there.

dules
02-28-2005, 11:40 AM
If you're in a restaurant you can use a booster (Fisher Price and some other brands make them...check Target, BRU, etc.). Some of these have a bit of a recline as well. If she's sitting really well you can use the restaurant high chair (but I'd get a cover for it).

At someone's house, I used to bring the Gymini or a little blankie with some toys and set her down on the floor. She will also likely *want* to sit in your lap if she's around strangers.

I don't think you'll need the infant carseat...though if she's petite you might get a couple of months out of it as a carseat.

What is your neighborhood like for walking? Do you have smooth sidewalks, regular-height curbs, etc.? What do other mamas in your neighborhood use for strollers? Are you in a city with tight spaces to negotiate? In the suburbs or country with grass, gravel or dirt roads? How much room do you have to store a stroller and what can you realistically afford to spend?

If you can answer some of these questions I'll bet a few of your picks will start to stand out, and you might also get some suggestions here that you hadn't thought of yet.

Good luck!

Best,
Mary

hardysmom
02-28-2005, 12:17 PM
I wrote a long post, but lost it... something that I have been doing a lot lately, it seems.

OK, where to start. I traveled a lot with my DS and also with my now 11 mo twins. Plus, my sister adopted from Russia. Here is what I would do in your situation.

I think the Zippy (or a P3) would be the best choices for you. I actually got a Zippy when DS was about a year as out travel stroller it is great for that purpose- It will fit your carseat, has full recline for naps, is very cushie, has a decent canopt, handles well inside and OK outside, true one handed fold. Personally, I like the Zippy, but it is really personal taste. Both are good strollers. Ignore the Consumer Review thing- I don't think that those of us who are stroller obsessed understand how they come up with the ratings.

There are lighter strollers, like the Macs, but with a 6 mo adopted baby (who will probably be small) you need full recline and something more substantial. If you were adopting a toddler, maybe. Not a infant. Plus, the only Mac suitable for walking outside is the Techno, which is about as heavy as the Zippy/P3. The others are more indoorsy. BTW- I have also owned 3 Macs, which I loved as my son was older, so I am not anti-mac...

Also, my guess is that you guys will be falling in love and you will probably carry your daughter most of the way. A stroller for naps and such will probably be a bigger deal than a stroller for transportation.

On the Bjorn-- I wouldn't expect a 6 mo baby who has never used a Bjorn to take to one. Again, I loved my Bjorn with my son, but by 6 mo babies are getting picky and don't alwayys like new things. A better choice might be a sling/pouch which will be more comfy for you (particularly if baby is over 15 lbs) and will have more options for how the child can sit. I thing the Kangaroo Korner Adjustible Pouches are the easiest, no-brainer slings on the market www.kangarookorner.com

On the carsaet. Britax seats are wonderful, but not cheap. I would probably borrow a infant carrier (which will be helpful while travelling) to use for a few weeks and spend my money on a Britax Marathon or Roundabout. Most big American babies outgrow the seats around 6 mo- by that time most can sit up (in a high chair, shopping cart, etc) and their weight + the seat's weight lessen the convenience of the bucket. 6 mo babies don't really stay asleep when you get them in/out of a car anymore either. Plus, adopted babies who are not used to being strapped into a carrier, may not tolerate it as well as an American baby who has been in one since birth. The larger seats are less restrictive.

Finally, I wouldn't get a umbrella stroller for an infant on a long trip. You need full recline for naps, etc. It is just as easy to gate check a HUGE double jogger as it is to gate-check a tiny umbrella. Whatever you take, you will walk all the way to the plane with it where it will be put in the cargo fold and returned as you get off the plane. There are no size restrictions. Besides security and boarding, you will not have to fold or lift the stroller at all in the airport so don't figure that in to the equasion. Where size DOES matter is on ground transortation. Don't take a HUGE stroller if you are renting a tiny car or using public transportation.

Hope this helps. I would post this question in the adoption board as well. I know when my sister went to bring home her daughter there were a lot of adoption specific issues which weren't foreseen- for example, her daughter was 15 mo (though the size of a typical 10-11 mo baby) but had never been in a stroller and was a little freaked out to be harnessed in.

Stephanie

Gena
02-28-2005, 01:33 PM
I agree with what the PP said about the Bjorn. At 6 months, I don’t think this would be comfortable for either of you. Instead of a Bjorn, you might want to consider a sling or pouch from Maya Wrap. They are made from beautiful Guatemalan fabrics and would be a wonderful way to celebrate your child’s heritage. Their website www.mayawrap.com even has a page on their fair trade policies.

My 10-month-old son & I love our Maya Wrap (ring sling). It allows for a lot of different carrying positions and I can easily move him from one position to another when he wants a change or if he falls sleep. He’s even slept in it on the plane!

Congratulations and Best Wishes!

pittsburghgirl
02-28-2005, 04:31 PM
ITA with the PP's on the Bjorn. We were done with ours before 6 months, DS was too heavy and it killed my back, plus it's very constraining.

The Maya wrap is a great idea, but a pouch has less of a learning curve.

I also agree on the umbrella stroller, take whatever nicer stroller you end up buying and gate check it. For a long day of travel you will want at least some recline, so if you are in line at customs your DD will be able to sleep :)

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

lenad
02-28-2005, 07:34 PM
I totally agree with PPs on the Bjorn issue. There are many much better carriers out there (and most are cheaper than Bjorn). You could get a pouch, or a woven wrap, or a Mei Tai. Pouch is the easiest to use and the wrap takes most learning, but a wrap is the most comfortable and versatile. Mei Tai is in between. If you go to the http://www.thebabywearer.com there have been some posts recently about what carriers to use for adopted babies. Also, ladies there are great at providing specific advice should you still have questions.

I agree that you don't need an infant car seat. I have nothing to add on the stroller question. (I personally have a Zooper Waltz which I really like, but I wear my DD a lot so it isn't paramount for me to have a perfect stroller for every occasion. I do have a right sling for most occasions though.)

LD

yellowdogmom
03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Ann,

Welcome and congrats!

I'm not sure where you're at in your wait, but during my wait for my DS I became obsessed with gear and research. If you have a lot of time to fill I'd suggest spending some of it looking at different strollers (and other gear) and really "kicking the tires".

My DS came home just shy of 6 months old (and nearly 18 lbs) so we skipped the infant seat altogether. If your DC is small and you want to use an infant seat I'd recommend trying to borrow one from a friend if you can since it will be so short lived.

On the strollers: we started with a Mac Triumph, a Jeep Liberty Urban Terrain, and a Safety 1st jogger that can face both ways. We still have all three and have added a Peg P3 to the corral and have been through a Safety 1st "basic" stroller before biting the bullet on the P3. All have their merits and applications, so I'd have a hard time just picking one (see, I said I got obsessive during the wait!). To be honest, when he first came home he wasn't nuts about riding in any stroller and we used carriers quite a bit (quite a bit is a gross understatement, really). For your travel to pick up your DC I agree with what a PP said - once you have that baby in your arms you won't want to let go for quite a while. Having a stroller along might be nice for use as a luggage cart, though!

On the carrier front...Our favorite is still the Asian Baby Carrier or Mei Tai style. I made three of them during the wait using directions from this web site: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/asian.html
If you do happen to sew and want to get into making carriers there is a great Yahoo Group called slingsewing that is a great resource. At 13 months and 25 lbs we still use our ABC in the front carry from time to time, especially when DS doesn't feel good and needs some extra cuddles and support, I also use it to back carry quite a bit now too.

Good Luck and again, Congrats!

:) Kristin
Mom to Theo, born 1/12/2004 in Korea ~ home forever 7/6/2004
and Morgan the yellow lab

emmiem
03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
We adopted internationally twice. Really strollers are personal preference and it just takes trial and error. We brought home one child at 7 months and one at 10 months. All of my strollers I have loved. I have a Combi Spirit, Zooper Sport, Peg Perego P3, and a Combi Ultra Savvy. I like the US for travel, the Zooper for the neighborhood, and the P3 and Spirit for everything else. They are all lightweight and fold easy.
Michele

JodiM
03-01-2005, 04:52 PM
I emailed you about a pouch. Congratulations!