PDA

View Full Version : Bebecar Strollers?

jax
04-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Hello,

My husband and I are expecting our first child in July. I've been searching the world for the "right" stroller. I was looking at the Evenflo Ellipsa, but everything in the Baby Bargains book as well as online here tends to point in the negative (I've found that it is indeed a heavy stroller).

I came across Bebecar, but since I live in California, it's impossible to find one here to try out (I'd have to order it from strollers.com first and return it if I didn't like it). I searched the list here and haven't found if anyone's had experience with them (particularly the Bebecar M-City series), so if anyone has, any advice would be great.

The problem I have with most strollers (including the Combi's) are any number of the following:

--Too short (even the Combi's)
--Too heavy (the Ellipsa)
--Not enough storage (Bugaboo)
--No drink holder (Peg Perego, as well the Peg's are much too short for me and my husband, I'm 5'11, he's 6'3")
--Funky steering (Graco's, and other cheaper traveling systems)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jacqueline. :-)

dules
04-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi,

Here are some thoughts:

--Too short (even the Combi's) - Combis are very short, among the shortest, really
--Too heavy (the Ellipsa) Also questionable quality
--Not enough storage (Bugaboo) In what way? The basket is big, and you can attach a diaper bag and drink holder to the handles.
--No drink holder (Peg Perego, as well the Peg's are much too short for me and my husband, I'm 5'11, he's 6'3") Adding a drink holder will cost you $10 - $20 max. IMO it's not worth counting out a stroller based solely on that, if you're considering spending $300 + for the stroller anyway. Have you tried the P3 with height adjustable handles?
--Funky steering (Graco's, and other cheaper traveling systems) Yeah, I don't think you'll find many fans of those here.

Have you looked at the Maclaren Techno XT? A lot of tall parents like this one.

I have a Bebecar X-Fold and love it. The handles are high, but not adjustable (are the M-City's? I'd call to be sure before ordering).

Are you planning on primarily mall-crawling and walking on flat, smooth pavement? If you're going to be on bumpy uneven surfaces a lot I'd take a closer look at the Bugaboo, and also the MBUS and Valco Runabout. All have air tires that will provide a smooth ride, yet are not prohibitively heavy or large when folded.

I hope this helps give you some more places to look. If you can be more specific about how you'll use it, I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on what might work for you.

Best,

Mary

byrd328
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Jacqueline,

I would either go with the bugaboo or the valco runabout, both are good quality strollers. If your concerned about storage on the bugaboo, the new cameleon has a much bigger storage basket and a adjustable handle. You can either order from the netherlands or wait until sometime later this year for them to arrive here. The Valco is great. It's heavier than the bugaboo but its a good quality stroller and if you plan to have more children you can add a toddler seat. The Mac's are nice also but I wanted something with air tires. i had to get over the cup holder idea bc all the good stroller don't have one. I didn't rush in selecting a stroller, I used my universal car seat carrier for the first few months and that was a dream, with cup holders and a huge basket. The best thing to do is go test drive them.

Thanks
Byrd

jax
04-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Hi,

Thanks to everyone so far with all the great comments on strollers. I might just go with the universal carrier for a while until I just find something I like (thanks Byrd).

I keep trying to get info on *any* American approved infant car seat for the Bebecar, but I'm told the one Bebecar sells wasn't approved and you can't get it here and I was told there's supposed to be some attachment that they will be selling in the future which will allow a Graco to be connected, but no one really knows anything for sure.

All the Peg's (even the P3) are too short for me. Also, I don't like the umbrella handle, I prefer the one long handle. Just went stroller shopping (YETAGAIN) this morning and kind of found a cool Combi that seems to be tall enough. It's the Tetra travel sysem.

Anyhow, thanks again to everyone for their advice. Anything else would be greatly appreciated.

jax.

catfeet
04-28-2005, 08:27 PM
I have one & LOVE it. The Graco Snugride fits into the seat like it was made for it, and it's a good walking stroller. It is pretty heavy at 25lbs,(I have a Raider AT+) but folds easily & stands on it's own. The push is fabulous. It can go anywhereIt is a fair amount of stroller and might be more than the average person is looking for. However, when compared with Graco and many other brands, it beats them hands down.

HTH,
Ann

I LOVE my Bebecar

Mum-of-3-Lil-Herberts
04-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Bebecar are making a Travel System much like the X-fold I am not 100%sure when it will be released sometime this Fall I think thats waht bebecar was telling me. Apparently its going to be like the P3 and also have a reversable Seat Like the Loola Sounds Soo Awsome...

Also the M-city does have a adjustable handle bar, and you can place a carseat in the seat unit and it will fit but its not "Official". I have a Multipla on the way to me right now Its the Newest model much like the Raider but the Whole seat can reverse as opposed to reversing the fabrics (which will only allow you to face baby in newborn mode).. I also will be testing the New Bebecar Stylo in 3 weeks when they are Released its bebecars First Steering Pram it looks realy sharp you can see a pic on thir website. Jaque from Bebecar is sending it to me for a consumer opinion I will proberly have to Send it back though :-( I will get some pics before I do though .. If you have any Qs about the Bebecars let me know I have had just about every model LOL...

Victoria Mummy of Lila 05/99
Riley 09/2002
Tommy 10/2003

Nooknookmom
04-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Please don't make your stroller purchase based on whether or not a carseat will fit inside it. Baby will not & should not be placed in the stroller, inside the infant seat for long periods of time.

Purchase based on quality and ease of use for you!

HTH Trina

jax
04-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Trina,

This is the first I've heard about not letting the baby sit in the infant car seat for long periods of time in the stroller. What's the difference between the baby being in the carseat in the stroller vs. baby being in carseat in car for a long drive?

All the moms I know take their infants to the mall, long walks, etc with carseat + stroller and their babies seem to be fine. Am I missing something?

jax.

strollerqueen
04-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Trina is right. It's a really bad idea. The first research had to do with babies suffering respiratory problems lying in car seats too long. It has to do with the strange angle in which they are reclined. Some babies have even strangled to death in car seats when they were sleeping and slipped down in them, (they were not strapped.) The air was cut to their windpipe, and they did not yet have the mucscular control to right themselves.

The next research that came out implicated car seats in contributing to "plagiocephaly", or "flat head syndrome." It has seen a huge increase in the US, just pick up any parenting magazine and look for all the ads for helmets that round out baby's heads.

Now there is a new book out that says it also contributes to developmental delays. One reason is that when you have a baby lying in a soft bassinette or carrycot, they can still squirm and wriggle around. In a car seat, they are supposed to be tightly confined, to keep them safe in a crash.

In any event, 20 minutes in the car seat is the latest recommendation. You can do a search on this forum for more info. I strongly advise against car seat carriers. You would be better served buying a very cheap stroller that reclines flat, or a used one, than buying a car seat carrier.

Nooknookmom
05-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks Janet for giving her all the info., I just got back from a Girl Scout camping trip.

NO electricity, no good pottys, no computer, not a happy mommy LOL ;).

Mara232
09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
We just got our Bebecar stroller today. And I love it! Still no baby to try it out but my goddaughter who is 1 enjoyed the spin around the block. We bought it mainly for the height (Dh is 6'5") and the ruggedness.

sobers3
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Which model and color did you end up getting?

Nooknookmom
09-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Oooh, which one did you get? Can you post pic's? It's so hard to "see" what they look like in the website pic's. Congrats.