PDA

View Full Version : double stroller on Lufthansa

Anna
04-28-2005, 07:12 PM
I am taking an international flight soon and was planning to fly with a Valco Twin. United told me it would not be a problem, but I just realized today that some of the flights are operated by Lufthansa. When I called them, the agent said collapsible strollers are allowed as carry-on. She also said it could be checked with the luggage, but would have to be fit the size requirements for luggage, 62 inches combined height, length, and width. Otherwise, we would have to pay 90 Euro (approximately $115) for extra luggage cost! The Valco Twin is bigger than 62 inches when folded.

Has anybody flown with a double stroller on Lufthansa and was it a problem?

I am actually planning to pick up the Valco in the US and take it back to Europe with me. So, while I could take a smaller stroller with me, I really wanted to buy the Valco.

Thanks,
Anna

catfeet
04-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Can you call & ask them if you can gate check it? We flew with ours recently & it wasn't a problem, but we did gate check it.

Ann

Anna
04-29-2005, 03:23 AM
That's the problem. Lufthansa doesn't gate check strollers. You either bring it on as carry-on or check it with your luggage. If you bring it to the gate, you either have to put it in the overhead bin or they will store it on the plane (according to the agent). I am worried about it being considered too large and getting charged for oversize luggage if they check it with the luggage. Did you fly domestic or international? Was it Lufthansa?

Susann
04-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi,
I have flown Lufthansa a couple of times, unfortunately. They are really rude and not helpful at all. BUT if you booked your flight with United, they are the ones in charge of your trip and the service is better.

About the "no gate checking": you can take your stroller to the gate but no matter which airline, they take your stroller at the gate and you get it back in your final destination at the luggage claim. So if you have a connecting flight in Europe, you have to be prepared not the have a stroller to use.

So as a conclusion, no matter what airline you fly to Europe, you can gate check a stroller but you don't get it back before your final destination.

Let me know if there is anything else. I'm pro in flying to Europe :-)

Susann

kimisaur
04-29-2005, 01:09 PM
>
>About the "no gate checking": you can take your stroller to
>the gate but no matter which airline, they take your stroller
>at the gate and you get it back in your final destination at
>the luggage claim. So if you have a connecting flight in
>Europe, you have to be prepared not the have a stroller to
>use.
>
>So as a conclusion, no matter what airline you fly to Europe,
>you can gate check a stroller but you don't get it back before
>your final destination.
>

A big warning here....I gate checked a double stroller, as I was flying alone with two of my children, and I needed the stroller to get two toddlers, their carseats, their bags, etc etc to the plane. I was told to just leave the stroller open, and was rushed onto the plane. When I got it back, it wouldn't open up, and I discovered that had been pretty much totally destroyed. Someone (a gorilla??) had ignored the bright red capital "PUSH HERE TO CLOSE" words written on the handle, and had basically just shoved on it until it collapsed. :-( When I went to file a claim, I was told that strollers weren't covered. So, it was pretty clear to me that the gorilla absolutely knew he was breaking the stroller, but didn't care since he knew he'd get away with it. Grrrr.

So, just be really careful when you gate check.

-Kimberly

Anna
04-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Do you think it is safer to gate check a stroller and have them throw it in with the luggage or to just check it with your baggage initially and have heavy luggage thrown on it? I had one stroller come back with grease stains after gate checking it. I don't want to buy a $550 stroller and then have it destroyed before I even get it home!

Susann, was your double stroller comparable in size to the Valco? And did Lufthansa try to charge you for it being oversized? Luckily, Lufthansa is our airline only within Europe. We are flying United between the US and the States.

Susann
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
I have always travelled with smallish strollers. The biggest was a Peg Perego Micro Twin that folded like Mac Twin traveler (or whatever it's called).
I have never had a problem with the airline making stains or anything but tons of scratches.
If I was you, I would gate check it and fold it myself at the gate. I always fold my stroller b/c I don't trust the people who take the strollers.
All Lufthansa wanted, was to take away my stroller and the carseat. They didn't care about my money. I had to fight in order to be able to keep the car seat even if I had a seat for the baby. However, they "forced" me to hold the baby at take off and landing b/c their RULES say that a child under age 2 has to be lapseated. There was not such an option as being restrained in a 5-point harness which by my common sense is much safer than my lap in a case of a crash.

Susann

Squirrel_M
05-03-2005, 11:59 PM
I have flown multiple times with Lufthansa and my daughter with a regular stroller. I never had a problem to gate check the stroller. Tell them about the stroller when you check in your luggage amd they give you two tags for the stroller (one gate check tag and one regular luggage tag w/ bar codes). I was never asked about the size of the stroller. I was never given the option to take the stroller on the plane. Everyone was always very helpfull to carry my daughter and at least three pieces of carry on onto the plane.
I heared about size limits for luggage, but it does not count to gate checked strollers. The stroller does not even count to your max number of checked in luggage.
The only "problem" I had flying with Lufthansa was that even I ordered a meal & milk for my daughter there was not enough milk on the flight. There were at least 10 infants on this flights. Now I know to take more food/drinks with us.
I did check in a large box which was oversized once. The agent on the phone quoted about $125 but I was not charged at the airport at all.