PDA

View Full Version : I need help choosing a stroller

jjjo1112
04-30-2005, 03:08 AM
I am endlessly searching for a stroller and hoping to get opinions. These are what I want it for:
1. Will be an in and out of the car stroller, so not too heavy
2. Will be used for lots of trips to the mall
3. Will also be used for walks around the neighborhood and local ponds/trails
4. Will be used on grassy areas to go to football/tball games

At first I thought I could do a valco runabout, but after seeing it I can't, too big to be in and out of the car. These strollers I have thought about as only strollers: the new zippy system, inglesina liberty(not sure how this would handle around tight aisles in stores, bugaboo frog, mbus, also the new peg perego a3. Then I didn't know whether I should just get two strollers, one for malls and errands and another for walking. If I did this I was thinking maybe zippy, peg perego p3, or the mac techno and then valco runabout or zooper boogie for outdoors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

lmariana
04-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Since you're planning using the stroller for walks and on grass quite a bit, I'd definitely get something with air tires. You'll love it, really. I honestly think you'd get frustrated and end up hating anything else (personal experience).

I have a Bugaboo and love it. It would be great for everything you mentioned. I'm a suburban mom, so it's in and out of my car all the time, and the 2-part fold really isn't a problem for me. Plus, you're just lifting 2 light parts, instead of one 19 pound part. Does that make sense? It also includes the rain cover and mosquito netting, both will probably prove useful for any time spent outside. Not to mention, you will LOVE the newborn bassinet. It's the sweetest, more comfortable looking thing I've ever seen. I've gone through countless other strollers, and this one will always be part of my fleet.

I also think you'd be pleased with the MBUS. I've never had the chance to even see one in person, but I know tons of people here love them. If I were buying a MBUS though, I'd buy quite a few of the accessories: car seat adapter, napper bar, bassinet, rain cover, sun shade, and seat snuggler. So, in the end, I'd come out to the Bugaboo price anyways, but that's just me. :)

From personal experience, I can tell you that the Zippy doesn't do well on grass and isn't the best for neighborhood walks. Especially after pushing an air tire stroller, there's no comparison.

I think your idea to get a separate indoor/outdoor stroller is really great. If you do that, then I'd highly recommend the p3 or Techno for indoors and the Valco for outdoors. I'm not recommending the Boogie, because if you ever want to put it in the car for those football games or maybe a trip to Disney (like we do), the big Zoopers just aren't good car strollers. I just sold my Zydeco and bought a Runabout after learning the hard way. :) Plus I really think the Valco has a better push.

Anyhow, good luck! I'm sure you're get lots of awesome feedback here!!! Everyone here has always been so helpful to me.

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051024/0/21/1/-5/.png

dules
04-30-2005, 03:07 PM
I agree with everything Mariana said, but do think that the Valco and MBUS are sort of 6 of one, half dozen of the other...comes down to a personal preference.

Two strollers is great...if you can't, then maybe Frog or MBUS only?

Best,
Mary

helaina
05-01-2005, 12:50 PM
If you have a garage with room to store a stroller, then I think you should get two. One lightweight stroller to keep in the car for errands and the mall, and one all-terrain stroller for walks around the neighborhood and tball games. If it were me I'd want the all-terrain stroller to have a large basket so that I'd have the option for bringing it to the mall during xmas season when I know I'll be doing a lot of shopping. For normal trips to the mall when you just buy a couple of small things (say a sweater or two), I'd use the lightweight stroller. That's just what I would do if I had to do it over again and if I were comfortable leaving a stroller in my garage.

snowangel
05-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I think most of us on this board have at least two strollers *lol*, one for indoors and one for outdoors, but I am sure the Frog would probably be great for both!

If I were to do two strollers I would do a P3 or Zippy for indoors and a Valco for outdoors. This way, you can always use your Valco indoors as well.

writeleigh
05-02-2005, 06:59 PM
I agree with those who suggest two strollers (if your budget allows it). I have a lightweight stroller that I usually keep in the car (Silver Cross micro) and another stroller that can handle our bumpy sidewalks and outdoor terrain (Emmaljunga).

chinolatinodad
05-02-2005, 07:49 PM
FWIW,
I went with two strollers like everyone else here, but you might want to check out this stroller (2003 Zooper Sport)- it's basically a normal type stroller with smallish air tires.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66703&item=4377418441&tc=photo
It weighs about as much as a Valco or MBUS but is more compact. If you really are space-limited or cash-limited this might be a good option. I've seen one at a local store (where it was on sale for $199) and it seems to be a well-built stroller, so this price is a good deal.

Of course, I wound up with a BOB and a Z-street, so....

Mike