PDA

View Full Version : THe oldest topic in the book: gate checking my stroller

knaidel
05-03-2005, 04:44 PM
I know, I know, it's an old topic. But I can't seem to find any of the past posts. We are flying in a few weeks and will be gate checking our Zippy- we'll need the stroller to get through the airport. How do we go about it? Should we put it in a bag (either a stroller bag or regular duffel) OR, I remember reading here someone just wrapped it up really well at the gate and cheked it like that. That would seem like a pain, to be standing at the gate, with bubble wrap and tape. Or maybe I misunderstood? Anyway, what have you done in the past?

slknight
05-03-2005, 06:04 PM
I have gate-checked my P3 several times and have never wrapped it or put it in a duffel. I just fold it up and stand it at the gate and they check it. I've never had a problem. Then again, I'm pretty hard on strollers so if it came out with a small scratch, I probably wouldn't notice it.

dragop21
05-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah don't stress about it. honestly, if you checked it where you check your luggage, it would probably be worse for the wear. Its usually put it VERY last because it has to come out VERY first. there is not a huge chance stuff is going to land on it. My husband flies for an airline and I travel constantly with my P3 and so far, from the airlines anyway, its survived in tact!
Candice

Smiles81
05-03-2005, 06:39 PM
I checked an inglesina swift recently; on American Airlines, they let me put it in the coat closet at the front of the plane. On the way back, I flew airtran, and they gate checked it. I had a connecting flight, so of course it took them about 15 minutes to find it, and the pilot felt bad, b/c our next plane was boarding, so he went down to find it. Apparently, mine stroller, as well as someone elses got put further back with some luggage. On the final flight, They gate checked it, and when I got the stroller back, I noticed a tear on the foam handles :( oh well. All in all, it was pretty smooth. Don't worry about it.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

MarisaSF
05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
I gate checked my Quest after wrapping it in a clear, cheap Graco universal raincover w/bungee cord. I needed to bring the rain cover anyway, so this set-up 1) protected the stroller, 2) was a clear cover, and 3) saved me packing space for the raincover!

I had been told that if you use a (non-clear) stroller bag, even when gate checking, you run the risk that the baggage handlers won't recognize it as a stroller and that would slow down retrieval time when you disembark.
HTH! Enjoy your trip!

ps- The wrapping of the stroller didn't take long at all. I was flying by myself with DD and people were really nice about helping.