PDA

View Full Version : Peg Perego Pilko (Pliko?) P3 Vs. Graco MetroLite

quartzlynn
05-03-2005, 06:05 PM
In response to an earlier post of mine regarding what stroller to get, I went to Babies R Us today to take a look, fully expecting to confirm my planned purchase of a Peg Perego Pliko (?) bP#. After looking at it I found two major issues. First, I found it difficult to fold and second, the basket is underneath the folding mechanism and hard to get to. Has anyone else had trouble with this confirguration or is it just me? I am a first time mom so maybe I just don't "get" the stroller thing.
On the other hand, the Graco Metrolite, though not quite as nice looking quality wise, was only a couple pounds heavier, had a cup holder, easy to fold, and the basket was fairly easy to access. It lacked the adjustable handles like the Peg Perego but my husband who is 6'3 said that it wasnt that big of a difference.

Again, my issues is that I will be in and out of the car a lot so I want something I can easily put the infant seat into and that isnt too heavy. Price isnt a huge issue, though I still havent found justification to go for the bugaboo, plus I found it difficult to work with with an infant seat - my gilfriend has one and it seemed hard to snap the seat onto the frame.

The Metrolite is only $100.00 and I figure if we decide we want something different after the first 4 months or so we can do it, but wanted to see if there were any other suggestions / thoughts out there....

Thanks!

dragop21
05-03-2005, 06:23 PM
yeah no. that is my advice. I have a P3, and though its not without is flaws, I would probably never buy a Graco stroller anything. To me one big thing is resale. Depending on your car of the stroller, you can do pretty decently when you sell it. Also, it has a one handed steer, which is priceless, as I have come to learn. Its also compatiable with the car seat, which I have. The fold IS really easy after you do it a few times. both DH and I do it without a thought, though gate agents still get confused. I use mine a lot for travel and the big canopy is GREAT for when she naps. In fact, one time there was a promised crib that never materilzed, so she slept in her super comfy P3 all night.
So those are my thoughts, take it for what its worth.
Candice

Mom to Kiera born 5/4/2004 Tomorrow is the big day!

quartzlynn
05-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I am not as concerned about resale, only because we plan to have more kids, however, reliability / longevity is big... What about the Zippy as compared to the P3?

Thanks again!

mariza
05-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I have to agree, I had a Graco (not a Metrolite though) and also have a P3, my Graco broke after the 3rd use. I was out walking and the wheel fell off and I had to walk 1 mile holding the rear end of the stroller off of the ground. I would have left it, but I had some light groceries, there was no way I could carry DD and the bags together! Graco sent me a new wheel, but no hardware to lock it on. I emailed them again and was assured I would get the hardware, but it's been over a week and still not arrived. It was bulky, and terrible to steer. THe P3 does have a different fold, but once you get the hang of it it's second nature. It folds so much more compactly and steers like a dream, even one handed. If you access the basket from the side rather than the back it's easy to get your things in and out.
If you like the features of the P3, but are just worried about the fold you may want to consider the Zippy, or even the new Peg Perego A3, it is supposed to be similar to the P3, but with a "book" fold and a parent tray. HTH!

dragop21
05-03-2005, 07:18 PM
your CAR of the stroller??? what am I STUPID? apparently. oh well. I think you got my drift that I meant YEAR. My fingers were getting ahead of myself I guess.
I don't know a darn thing personally about Zippys. but I am sure others can help you out.
Candice

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
05-03-2005, 07:35 PM
I have a P3 and honestly, resale is important. Say you have two close together or decide you want something different - resale is great because you can sell one stroller to help finance another. With the Metrolite, if you don't like it, your investment is lost.

The fold, btw is easy. And the basket can be accessed from the side. Plus you can hang stuff from the umbrella handles. The Skip Hop Diaper bag is a great accessory!

Some other strollers to check out:

--Peg Perego Venezia - It has a reversible handle, which I LOVE! And it has a book fold.
--Peg Perego A3 - Has a book fold and a reversible seat of sorts.
--Inglesina Zippy 2005 1/2 - Has a cupholder and a super easy fold. It doesn't have extendable handles though.
--Zooper Swing - It doesn't have ergo handles but comes w/ tons of accessories. PBK has a version.
--Maclaren Techno

quartzlynn
05-03-2005, 07:51 PM
I understand about resale - makes sense...

So...

I read some more reviews (baby-gaga.com) and it seems that the Zippy has some durability issues, plus does NOT sound comfortable for my 6'3 DH!. Now I guess its between the Zooper Swing (Small Basket) and the Peg Perego (hard to access basket) based on the comments here and what I have read there...

Anyone tried these two and have any thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to have SOMETHING resolved!

bluej
05-04-2005, 07:50 AM
I use to have a zooper z-street and I currently have a P3. I thought the z-street felt very sturdy compared to the P3 (P3 is a bit plasticky IMO), however Ryden hated the z-street. He slumped in it and much prefers the straight seat of the P3. As for the basket, it's not something I really use. I'll throw jackets and/or a raincover in it, but that's about it. I put my diaper bag on the handles b/c I'm in and out of that and want easy access to it. Shopping bags also go over the handles. I don't know if this has changed on the swing or not, but when the seat is reclined (on the z-street) the basket was inaccessible. On the P3 you can get to the basket from the side. Both are great strollers and I don't think you can go wrong with either one (unless you have a picky stroller child like mine :) ).

anuta
05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I have a Zooper Z-street and my sister has the P3. I've seen them next to each other.

Basket... I haven't found small basket much of a drawback. It is hard to access with stroller fully reclined, but you can manage to put things in from the front or side. Hanging stuff from handles works well, and the stroller doesn't tip.

Zooper steers much better than the P3, and doesn't rattle - my sister's P3 has this plasticky sound when pushed. Zooper also feels better made, folds a little smaller, and has a shorter wheel base. It also folds easier, my sister could never fold her stroller well.

Zooper's seat is a little reclined, I like the straightness of the P3 seat a little better. My daughter didn't complain though. I also like bumper bar on Zstreet better than the plastic tray on P3.

I also used the included boot a lot when my daughter was an infant.

Also the soft foam angled handles on the Zooper are better than straight plastic ones of the P2.
Zooper has bigger back wheels.

I am a fan of Zooper. Is there a store you can try out the Swing IRL?

To sum it up, P3 has a better basket, much better hood, and straight seat. Zooper has better handling, better fold, better handles, and included accessories.

strollerqueen
05-04-2005, 12:38 PM
I think stroller choices so much boil down to personal preferences. I am glad you like yours and it works well for you. But in my tests, both the P3 and the Inglesina Zippy perfom much better on semi-rough surfaces than the Zooper. I have compared them all out on the SQ Obstacle Course. Much of the reason has to do with the design and balance of the stroller. On the Zooper, the child's weight is placed over the front wheels. This makes it particularly hard to push as they get heavier, and will also cause it to stop dead at big cracks.

I also find the fold much easier on both the P3 and Zippy. And I think the quality is superior. They are both made at their own facilities in Europe.Zoopers are mass produced in a generic factory in China, which then slaps different brand names on them, depending on where they will be sold.

masonmom2
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
One of the major drawbacks to the metrolite is the fact that the canopy is USELESS. I too was deciding on the P3 vs. Metrolite and found that the canopy does not adjust forward to keep the sun out and to protect if you are caught in the rain. My neighbor who has a metro has to keep a blanket to drape over the stroller.

Anyway, another thing is the fact that the wheels on the P3 are much smaller and make it easier to get around in stores. You know how they jam those clothes racks together and with a stroller it seems to be a maze trying to get throught it all... It makes you appreciate those who are wheelchair bound.

Masonmom2

masonmom2
05-04-2005, 02:27 PM
One of the major drawbacks to the metrolite is the fact that the canopy is USELESS. I too was deciding on the P3 vs. Metrolite and found that the canopy does not adjust forward to keep the sun out and to protect if you are caught in the rain. My neighbor who has a metro has to keep a blanket to drape over the stroller.

Anyway, another thing is the fact that the wheels on the P3 are much smaller and make it easier to get around in stores. You know how they jam those clothes racks together and with a stroller it seems to be a maze trying to get throught it all... It makes you appreciate those who are wheelchair bound.

Masonmom2

masonmom2
05-04-2005, 02:27 PM

Masonmom2

baby feta
05-05-2005, 01:27 PM
With the P3 stroller what baby carrier are mom's using beside the P3 one itself? I'd like to see what the options are as far as pricing.

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
05-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I used the Graco Snugride. But DD hated it. The straps twist and it isn't very padded. Maybe the Primo Viaggio straps are better?

TonFirst
05-10-2005, 09:40 AM
"I am not as concerned about resale, only because we plan to have more kids, however, reliability / longevity is big..."

Other posters have responded to this, but I need to, also - having more kids is EXACTLY why I bought a P3 and not a cheapie Graco. We plan to try for our second baby next year, and I know that I'll get a good price on my 2005 P3 when I want the cizz-ash to buy a double in 2007, YKWIM?

I love my P3, and while I was initially concerend about the basket, it has never been an issue. I really don't put that much in it - maybe some sunscreen or a lightweight blanket. I never put my diaper bag in there, though, because it clips on to the stroller handles with carabiner clips.