PDA

View Full Version : Reversible seat/handle – which option would you choose?

Gracie
05-05-2005, 01:24 AM
These two scenarios seem to be about the same amount of money & I’m wondering what others might choose. I’m looking for a stroller(s) that is not too heavy (to lift in & out of the trunk) & for use indoors & paved outdoor areas.

From what I can tell, for about the same amount of money, I can get a P3 & used (but newer) Venezia OR something like a Bebecar M-City or Inglesina Magnum. Is it unrealistic to think that the M-City or Magnum could be my only stroller? Other suggestions are welcome!

I realize that the facing mommy phase might be short-lived, but I’d love to have that option. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
TIA,
Grace

sobers3
05-05-2005, 08:20 AM
With everything being equal, I would prefer a reversible handle over a reversible seat. When you turn a corner and the sun is in the baby's eyes, it's just so convenient to flip the handle over! Mary

MamaKath
05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I prefer a reversible handle, however there are many points that would also lean me the other direction pretty easily. ;-)

Reversible Handle Pros-
*Easy to change at in a moment for sun, opening doors, etc
*Typically more compact fold

Reversible Handle Cons-
*Steering is often better in one direction that then other
*when reversed, the legroom sometimes lacks

Reversible Seat Pros-
*Steering always the same
*Can typically be folded with the seat reversed so it is "ready" when you open it again

Reversible Seat Cons-
*Fold large since it is basically a chassis plus seat unit
*Folding is typically more difficult too with safety levers and such (though not always the case)
*Can not be switched with child in it, so changing seat for sun, etc is an ordeal

For my little babies I loved having a true pram, but as they got older I wasn't so willing to pull it in and out of the car. A reversible handle stroller is something I am still willing to put in and out of a car. Also the reversible handle was great for situations I wouldn't have thought of like church when my little one would be asleep (wheel him in, put the handle closest to me, if he woke I could reverse and push him out, lol) or a restaurant (still do this if he falls asleep, he is 3, lol push him in, reverse the handle and put a blanket across the hood and handle to make a tent so he can stay asleep). Bottom line - I have never wished one of my strollers had a reversible seat that didn't, but I did wish that they had a reversible handle. This is all MHO though so throw in your own grains of salt. ;-)

HTH~

NYSarah
05-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Grace --

I did a lot of looking into this very subject and went with the reversible handle for all the reasons mentioned above. DD is very fair and has very light eyes and really can't stand the sun, so even when the mommy-facing phase is over (and since it's ME that needs it who knows when that'll be :D ) I wanted to be able to reverse her without a lot of trouble.

The real question is, why is a reversible handle such a pain to find on a decent looking stroller when everyone I know seems to want one?

dules
05-05-2005, 10:11 AM
I've never had a reversible handle but do love having baby face me (have reversible seat).

Just a comment/question...aren't the Bebecar and Magnum about $500? You could get two Venezias or almost 2 P3s for the price of one of those.

Best,
Mary

Gracie
05-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Thank you all for your input. It's very helpful to hear your thoughts. I too would prefer the reversible handle option, but I totally understand MamaKath's comment about the steering. The times I've test driven the Venezia, the steering has been "off", especially in the reverse mode. I think I would prefer the consistent steering of a reversible seat, but it's difficult to know since I cannot see the M-City or Magnum IRL.

Re: cost of M-City & Magnum. I guess I'm calculating a 2005 P3 to be ~$289 & a used (2003+) Venezia to be ~150+, so for a little more, wondering if a $500 stroller is a better option. But Mary's post gets me thinking maybe I should shop for better prices on the Pegs...

>The real question is, why is a reversible handle such a pain
>to find on a decent looking stroller when everyone I know
>seems to want one?
I agree!!

Grace

MEEandBaby2B
05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I would also recommend looking into the Peg A3 since it is weighs the same as the P3 but has the revesible seat. The wheels are also slightly bigger than the Venezia's. Aren't the M-city and Magnum fairly heavy? Regardless I don't think that they would be more functional for the extra money. I would prefer the reversible handle, but the lighter weight and slightly better handling outside has made us decide on that. We'll probably be buying on Ebay. If you aren't as concerning about the little bit of extra weight and are going to be using it indoor or on even pavement, I would go with the Venezia. Just my 2 cents.

MamaKath
05-05-2005, 12:35 PM
The A3 isn't truly a reversible seat though is it? The seat only reclines all the way for an infant and then the canopy flips (ala prammette, I have heard the term semi-reversible used?). This is great in the beginning (0-3 months or so), however as a child grows older it is really only a forward facing model. There are often posts from moms of babies who are 6-9 months who would still like to see mama, which would limit the usefulness of the A3's reverse feature imo. At least that is what I understood from the brief demonstration given me IRL and online lisitings.
(ETA- I was completely disappointed when I saw it, and am hoping I am worng, hence the question. I thought an Atlantico type stroller with a reversible seat ala Loola would be so cool!)

Gracie, you can definitely do better on the P3 price. A few stores give "StrollerQueen Discounts" in honor of the StrollerQueen, Janet. :-) You have to call them though to find out cost (most stroller companies/diaper bag companies fix there prices and cut dealers who go below list). A quick search should bring up stores though.

Gracie
05-05-2005, 03:05 PM
I seriously considered the A3 & waited & waited for it. I finally saw it IRL & and yes, I think you're right, MamaKath. "Semi-reversible" is a good term for it. It definately had it's good features - I liked the larger wheels & steering. However, the baby facing you option is definately for a younger baby. From what the salesperson showed me, you put the seat all the way down, zip the upholstery & switch the canopy to the other side. It was rather cool, but the "bassinet" was definately for a younger baby. Even if the baby was small enough to fit, s/he wouldn't be able to sit up b/c I don't think(?) there is a harness you use in that mode. I was very disappointed as well!

Thanks for the tip re: a possible Strollerqueen discount.

Grace

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
05-05-2005, 05:57 PM
I just bought a BRAND NEW Venezia for $237 shipped on ebay. It's a 2004 in Chesapeake. I'm in love with it! I have a P3 already, but my baby is too young for it (she's almost 4 months). She wasn't happy unless she could see me. She hates the carseat so using it as a travel system was out. An A3 wouldn't have worked for us because she wants to sit up (not all the way) and not lay flat. The new Venezias (2004 and 2005) have larger wheels. Also I found the steering to be fine when in reverse. Just lock the wheels closest to the handle. Do the same when facing forward. It handles Chicago sidewalks fine.

I think the Mommy facing is short lived for some babies, but not all babies. Also, when walking outside, it is so much better to face the baby for wind-blocking. Another consideration is the fact that you can see each other and talk. When the baby faces out it's like walking in a line and you can't really talk because you can't see each other. I just like the Venezia so much better than my P3! I think I'm only going to use the P3 for travel and maybe as a car stroller when DD is older.

sunlady
05-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I looked at the Venezia IRL, but I bought (and returned) the M-City for $500 from baby universe with their 10% off coupon. The M-City comes with a bassinet in addition to a reversible seat. The weight is about 28-30 lbs, but it's much more "posh" than the Venezia. I measured the wheels--they are about 8 inches in front and 9 inches in back. It felt easy to steer and had nice suspension. The seat is also quite a bit higher (22-23 inches) and you can access the large basket underneath even though the seat is fully reclined. The reason I returned the M-City and will get the Liberty is because I wanted rubber wheels (M-City is a "vinyl-composite") and the Liberty is a few pounds lighter. The M-City is a beautiful stroller though.

vize
05-06-2005, 01:01 PM
>I just bought a BRAND NEW Venezia for $237 shipped on ebay.
>It's a 2004 in Chesapeake.

who was the seller?
I'm also looking at Venezia strollers.

vize
05-06-2005, 01:14 PM
thos of you who are saying you have a stroller with the reversible handle - which exact stroller do you guys have?

I've looked at Venezia. I heard a lot of complaints about its wheels, though. I know they made the wheels bigger now, but on a 2004 model (with already bigger wheels), the "tires" are quite smooth and I am not sure if they will steer well. It is better on 2005 model, but so much more expensive!

I also saw the BumbleRide. Loved the halde and the wheels. Didn't like that it doesn't recline to full 180 (only 170) and that its boot is very tiny. We live in Chicago and it seems like boot would be something important to have in winter.

Bugaboo is out - I hate how it looks, but I hate its price even more. Just way too much.

There's also a new stroller brand named Compass - they have the reversible handle and a 180 degrees reclining seat, but no boot at all. ;(

What else is out there with a reversible handle?

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
05-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Reversible handles are rare... I live in Chicago and I don't have problems steering my Venezia. Yes, it isn't for parks but it does fine for neighborhood walks. The wheels are the same size as the wheels on my P3. If you notice, a lot of available reviews on epinions and babiesrus.com about the Venezia are about 2003 and older Venezias.

As for the ebay seller -
It was babystore4u. I got the stroller for $219 and shipping was $18. It was NIB, the 2004 model.

CPSDarren
05-11-2005, 09:19 AM
The wheels on the Magnum Allum chassis often sold with the Liberty are not exatly rubber, either, at least not the type you'd find on an air-filled tire or solid rubber pram tire.

The material is a high density foam-like material similar to that on most USA strollers. I don't know if it is the same as the M-City vinyl composite, but I suspect it is similar.

Darren
www.seatcheck.net