PDA

View Full Version : Boston Parents - What's The Best stroller for city use?

futureterrier
05-05-2005, 06:52 AM
I am looking at the Bumbleride Rocket. I love the big 3 wheel design and it seems to handle really well, but I want to know what everyone else has. Which stoller do you use to get over those cobblestones? Is there a brand/model that you used that would definitely not work in the city? Thanks so much for your help!

Stephanie
Mom to be to a future BU terrier =)

mariza
05-05-2005, 08:46 AM
I am am originally from Boston but live in FL now so I can't answer your question for long term usage. We had DD baptized in Boston last month staying a week and doing lots of city walking, and the P3 worked out really well for us. DH wanted to tour the USS Constitution and the P3 did great on the bumpy pavement at the Navy yard. We also walked around Fenway park, and the waterfront, DD was very comfy, didn't seem bothered by the crazy Boston streets at all. I know it's not the heavy duty stroller you probably envisioned, but think about trying to take something like that on the "T", ugh!
HTH!

gel
05-05-2005, 08:52 AM
I live in Boston too. First I got an Emmaljunga (I think Boston is the Emmaljunga capital of the USA), and while it does the trick and is really cool looking, I found it impractical and unwieldy. Great for the earliest days with the bassinet, but I just used it in the house...

I have a Zooper Buddy, which is also excellent for city life, cobblestones, etc. I like it a lot, but it too is big and bulky. Never bother to put it in the car.

My vote for real life is Maclaren. Think about it - they were designed to endure the cobbled streets of one of the oldest cities in the world! They just go and go and for such a teeny little stroller do a remarkable job of absorbing the shocks.

I guess I have done way way too much looking at strollers, and while there are some beautiful cool futuristic you name it strollers out there, I am finding that simple is best. Good luck.

dules
05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
My advice? Go see Kirsten at Magic Beans in Brookline and let her show you what they've got. She's a StrollerSWAP board member and works on Saturdays helping people pick strollers. They have a great selection and she's really knowledgeable.

Best,
Mary

P.S. My gut reaction is a MBUS or Bugaboo for the weight, over the Rocket, but you've got to see them IRL. My Maclarens have seemed great for mom, not great for baby, IMO, as far as comfort on bumps and rough pavement. ETA - I reread this and it seems anti-Mac, and I'm definitely not. I have loved my Macs and the steering and weight can't be beat. I just wouldn't use it as an every day on very bumpy pavement, cobblestones etc.

entttc
05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
We are in a similar city - the bugaboo would be a good choice, if you aren't putting it in the car much.

colleenfs
05-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I'd like to tack on to this with a sort of related question.

We live just outside of Boston, but have only gone into the city with the car and parked near where we were going. How do you deal with traveling on the T with an infant in a stroller? (This must sound ridiculous, but it just seems like it would be a huge PITA.) Thanks!

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02
Baby GIRL! due 7-23-05
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020110/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050723/0/25/1/+10/.png

jendalymd
05-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I live in Boston. We have 3 strollers. My husband takes DS to daycare on T.

We have a Maclaren Quest (in that great Kate Spade fabric) for the T. Travelling (great for gate-checking at the airport) Quick in and out errands. Short walks. We just took it to Europe and it was fantastic.

We have a Mountain Buggy Urban Single in Orange. Which I love for long walks, bad sidewalks, cobblestones, and snow. It is sooo smooth and has great maneuverability, but it is too big and bulky for the T and too much for taking in and out of the car.

We just picked up a Quinny Zapp in Amsterdam. It is only available in Europe, but people have been getting them shipped over here. It is just too cool looking. Awesome steering, but no recline and no basket and a bit heavier than the Quest. But, I had to get it.

I think the Rocket looks like a great stroller, but I think it is a little heavier than the MBUS. I'm only 5'2" so weight is very important to me.

Good luck!

RJPO
05-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm an L.A. parent, not a Boston parent, but I was just about to post photos of my Bumbleride Rocket, comparing it to a Bugaboo Frog, on another thread.

I went to college in Cambridge (and ruined many pairs of high heels on the cobblestone streets) and can't imagine getting the Rocket on the T, especially on the lines where you have to climb up into the train (I'm thinking Green Line). On the other hand, if you're just walking around, it could work fine -- it handles like a dream!

Check out my other thread if you're interested in pics!

Best wishes,

Rachel
mom to
Mary India, 6/21/98
James Jolyon, 3/23/05

futureterrier
05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks so much for all of your advice. Looks like I'll be going down to visit Kirsten at Magic Beans and have a look around! =)