PDA

View Full Version : Bugaboo vs. Bumbleride Rocket - A Comparison

RJPO
05-05-2005, 06:14 PM
So this is the process I generally follow when making a major purchase.

Step 1: Fall in love with Item A. Decide after much agonizing that said item is too expensive and ridiculously impractical for our lifestyle.

Step 2: Purchase Item B, which is just as good-looking as Item A, almost as impractical, and less than half the price. Convince self that Item B is just as good as Item A. Congratulate self on exercising restraint.

Step 3: Experience fit of buyer's remorse. Maybe Item B isn't as good as Item A. Maybe I should have held out for the one I really wanted. Damn it! Now I'll never be completely happy with Item B!

Step 4: Purchase Item A.

Substitute "Bugaboo Frog in Denim" for "Item A" and "Bumbleride Rocket" for "Item B" and you'll see why I now own both of them. My husband would like me to sell the Rocket on Craigslist, but frankly, I like them both and I'm hoping he'll let me off the hook.

I figured I would post some pictures comparing them for anyone else who might be interested in buying either one or the other (or both). The reason that neither is really practical for us is that we're the typical urban/suburban mall crawling type, and it's a huge PITA to get either of these folded up and into the back of our station wagon.

That being said, both are very cool looking and both of them are great fun to push in our gravelly, no sidewalk neighborhood. I think that the Bumbleride Rocket's ride is just as smooth and springy (in a good way!) as the Bugaboo's.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25244.jpg

The Rocket is in its fully reclined position (which is not totally flat). As you can see, the Rocket is longer than the Frog by the length of its front wheel. It's also much taller. I would think that the Rocket would be an excellent choice for tall parents. I'm only 5 foot 3, so it feels awfully big to me. It's also noticeably heavier than the Frog, although the aluminum frame makes it lighter than it looks.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25245.jpg

My husband likes the Rocket better (just on general principle, because of the cost), but James doesn't seem to care one way or the other ...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25246.jpg

... Although he does seem to like the black, white, and red canopy on the Rocket. It's like a big Gymini!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25247.jpg

Rachel
mom to
Mary India, 6/21/98
James Jolyon, 3/23/05

futureterrier
05-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks for sharing. I'm going to take a closer look at both.

Nooknookmom
05-05-2005, 07:39 PM
James looks so comfy in the Bug bassinett. Man, what a decision. Me, I'd keep the bug. They're cute, versitle, stylish. The canopy and seat are a bit small though.

Good luck deciding (or just stuff one in the closet and pull it out when DH is gone-just kiddin')!!!

elliput
05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Rachel,

James is just adorable! Congratulations on such a cute boy!

I can understand why the Rocket would feel a bit big for you, and boy, what a tough choice. I considered a Bug before deciding it was just way over my price point, and then fell in love with the Rocket after you posted pictures of it earlier.

Maybe you can convince DH you really need both...

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
LOL! In my case, it was the Venezia v. P3.

I decided the reversible handle wasn't worth the small wheels, so I got the P3. I wanted to face the baby, so I got the Navetta. But I couldn't get one to match my stroller, so I bought the Caravel. Then baby started to outgrow the Navetta. So I got the Venezia. DH wants me to sell the Navetta system and the P3 on Craigslist. I am keeping the P3 and Venezia I think.

RJPO
05-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words :) ...

I think that my husband has pretty much resigned himself to keeping both, even though they're really the same type of stroller. I'm the one who gets up with the baby in the middle of the night, so I'm getting my way a lot more than usual these days!

I have to say I am impressed with the quality and steering of the Bumbleride though. For the price, I think it's a great stroller.

Rachel
mom to
Mary India, 6/21/98
James Jolyon, 3/23/05