PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Which stroller should we buy???

hla
05-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Dh & I are adopting and since we could get a call @ a moments notice we want to be prepared. I am completely confused regarding strollers! I am leaning towards the Combi Tyro II infant seat- should we just get the flash until baby outgrows? The stroller will be used for walks @ local park, mall trips and that is about it. Do we have to buy 2 strollers? 1 for newborn and 1 for older baby? Need advice from the pros- are there any strollers that newborns are ok in w/out infant seat?

thanks
Heather

JodiM
05-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Heather,

Why don't you just get a snugride (graco) 5pt car seat, and a snap and go to use for right now, and that will buy you more time to look for a 'good' stroller, that will suit your needs.
Lots of people do that.

And the Graco Snugride, is rated higher than the combi car seat, and lots of people happily use it.

Congratulations on the adoption!

snowangel
05-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I agree. Just get a Snap N go for now and then decide later. If I had unlimited funds I would SO buy the Bugaboo Frog!

ShayleighCarsensMom
05-06-2005, 11:50 AM
I would say wait until the baby is here...
Its not going to be difficult to go a week or two without a stroller. Plus, who knows, the baby may not even want to ride those first few weeks!
Good luck

sobers3
05-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I wasn't clear on whether you are adopting a newborn or a baby who is a few months old. I'm sure the waiting is hard so it's fun to research all the baby items while you are waiting. It's also nice to feel semi-prepared. I would buy or borrow a convertible car seat. It will fit a baby from birth to 40 pounds. You will use it anyway as the baby grows and if you decide that you want an infant car seat you can still get one. I would also get a P3. It would serve a newborn to age 3 and beyond. It's a great all around stroller and you can always add on from there depending on your needs. Newborns can be placed right in the stroller without a car seat, in fact it's preferrable to do so except for quick errands. If you get an infant car seat, you can place it in the P3. HTH and good luck. Mary

loveofmylife
05-06-2005, 04:18 PM
I know that you want to be prepared for baby but I would wait until baby is here to buy a stroller. We rarely used a stroller during the first six months, I loved holding my baby close so opted for the bjorn most times. If you definitely want to get a stroller now, I would get a 2004 mac techno on sale at babyage.com for about $149 since it can truly be your only stroller. The P3 or zippys are also wonderful options, it really depends on your budget and what your needs are. To me, great steering, easy fold, lightweight and high handles were most important hence my love for the mac, since my son has loved every stroller we have owned, he is not a fussy baby at all.
In the meantime, you can have fun doing the nursery, reading baby developmental books, buying books for baby, even searching daycare/ pre school options etc. I would of course buy a covertible car seat like the britax marathon since baby can use that from birth until 4 or 5 yrs old. You can get good deals on those seats right now. We moved my ds to a convertible seat when he was approaching four months so I thought that the infant seat was a total waste of money, but it is convenient at times, so I would wait and see if it's needed. Good luck.

P.S. I know that I sound super cheap but I have owned four strollers costing over $1000 and have now regretted and of course sold three on Ebay. I am a med student newly divorced and daycares/ preschools are super expensive, so if I was to this all over again, I would buy only what's necessary. Just my opinion.

dules
05-07-2005, 11:06 AM
There are LOTS of strollers that infants are "OK in without an infant seat" and in fact, it's currently recommended that babies spend no more time than absolutely necessary in those infant seats due to potential breathing problems and possibly developing flat spots on their heads.

With that in mind, I agree with the PPs that a Snap & Go is great for short errands, but a P3 will also work with the carseat and all the way through toddlerhood.

I'd also recommend checking out the baby carriers board on this site to see the different slings, pouches and other carrying options available, as you'll probably want to hold your new little one so close!

Congratulations!

Best,
Mary