PDA

View Full Version : Why does the PP Venezia get such a bad rap on this board? Question from P3 and Venezia owner.

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
05-06-2005, 08:53 PM
When I was pregnant, I was choosing between the Venezia and the P3 and posters were quick to tell me that the P3 is a much better stroller. I bought the P3 and I've been disappointed with it. I find that the plastic seat recline mechanism is not smooth at all - I often accidently only recline one side of the seat and not the other. In contrast, the Venezia has a metal seat recline that is easier to use. Whenever I put anything in the P3's basket, I feel like I need the jaws of life to get it out. And my baby hates riding in it because she likes to see me. Yes, you can use the carseat with the P3, but DD cries in her carseat. Whenever we took the P3, I had DD in one hand while I push the P3 in the other. Also, sometimes the fold mechanism sticks and I find myself wrestling to get it closed in parking lots. Maybe it is a great stroller for toddlers, but I really don't think it is a good stroller for newborns. Yes, the fold is small (I do love all the extra trunk space) but I feel that you get more for your money with the Venezia compared to the P3.

Anyway, I got a 2004 Venezia and we love it! The baby is always happy in there - she can ride around for hours in the Venezia. And when she is tired, I recline the seatback, and she sleeps really cozily, snuggled under her boot. The split apron boot is awesome for the spring weather. I can sit DD in there with some toys and with the top of the boot unzipped, her toys won't fall out of the stroller like they do in the P3. She can even sleep on her tummy, which she couldn't do in the P3 because of the incline of the seat. The wheels are not huge on the Venezia, but it handles fine on city sidewalks (I live in Chicago) - the wheels are the same size as the ones on my P3. I looked on the Peg Perego website to make sure I'm not imagining things and both strollers have the same sized wheels. The Aria wheels are over an inch smaller. DH even used the Venezia on grass and he said it was great! He actually loves the Venezia and was initially opposed to me getting it because we already had the P3 plus a Navetta system. But now, he's so happy I bought it. I find the handling to be great, so long as the wheels closest to the handle are locked. We only use it in reverse and we have no complaints about steering. I actually found the P3 harder to steer in a straight line! The basket is HUGE! It is sooo much better than the basket on the P3. It is so much easier to get things in and out because you can push it down. It is also sturdier. I feel like the P3 basket is a hammock. This one has a base and I can actually keep my raincover in there while the stroller is folded. With the P3 the basket has to be totally empty.

I know PP added bigger wheels - maybe a lot of the negative reviews are outdated? I really think the Venezia is a wonderful stroller. Yes, you'll want a lighter stroller later on. But the P3 seems like a better stroller for toddlers. If I had to do it again I'd get a Venezia right away and get a Mac later on. If I had to rate strollers, I'd give the Venezia 4 1/2 stars (the cupholder is a joke!) and the P3 3 stars.

-- Lauren

snowangel
05-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Lauren,
I can totally understand all of your points. It's just so hard to find a stroller that is perfect for a baby and a toddler and I think the reason why people buy the P3 is that it can be used for both.

The Venezia is a WONDERFUL, PERFECT stroller for the baby's first year of life, but most people find that after that first year it is time to buy something else. I guess some people feel it is more economical to just simply buy one stroller for both babyhood and toddlerhood.

I have a 22 month old and I couldn't imagine lugging him around in a Venezia at this age, but the P3 is just right.

Just my 2 cents.

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
05-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the reply! I agree with the fact that the P3 can be used for newborns. But it seems like a much better toddler stroller than newborn stroller, whereas the Venezia is a better baby stroller than toddler stroller. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should bring the Venezia on a plane trip next month, or just bring the P3 and the baby bjorn since the lighter weight and easy fold of the P3 seems better for the airport. Decisions, decisions! I'm scared the Venezia will get messed up. When I last traveled with my P3, my snack tray got all scratched that I think I'm going to buy another one. I'm a bit anal about the appearance of my strollers.

dules
05-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I think a lot of people post here saying "I only want to buy one stroller and I'm looking at the P3 or the Venezia" in which case most people will say to get the P3, because it does work for a newborn and is great for a toddler.

But I agree with you that the Venezia is better for a newborn...and I'm glad you found a stroller that you and your DD love! Enjoy!

Best,
Mary