PDA

View Full Version : One more ? - Lightweight stroller that fully reclines OR takes and infant carrier, maneuvers well (malls, short walks, in and out of car)

quartzlynn
05-07-2005, 10:43 PM
So the quest continues. DH and I finally went and looked at strollers today and decided we need to get a lightweight stroller for my everyday use as well as a heavier duty (MBUS or BOB - see previous post )one for long walks.
I really want something I can use from infancy- 2 or so, and that is easy to maneuver and fairly sturdy since we travel a great deal by plane and will be in and out of airports quite a bit (and gate checking the stoller). I have been reading and reading posts here regarding the Maclarens, Combis and others but wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on something for this particular putpose. LOVED the Peg Perego Aria's weight at the store but HATED the steering. We also loved the Zooper Waltz but even it is a bit on the heavy side since I am petite, thought I could certainly suck it up if people feel thats the best way to go.
Also, if I find one that takes an infant carrier, is a full recline necessary???

Thanks AGAIN everyone?

momathome
05-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Your best bet might be getting a Baby Trend snap 'n go or the Kolkraft Universal carseat frame to use for the infant seat for the first several months and then purchasing a Maclaren Quest once your baby is a little older. The Quest is good for babies 3 months and up, very lightweight, small fold, and great steering. Otherwise, you may want to consider the Inglesina Zippy or Peg Perego P3 - both take an infant seat, have a full recline, and decent steering (not as good as the Macs). The drawback to these 2 is that they are heavier (about 17 lbs). HTH!

lmarcam
05-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I was recently looking for a lightweight for my 3.5 (now 4 month) old for a second stroller. Alot of the lightweights, including those that say they are for 3 month olds, don't have much of a recline, and I would include the Quest in that group. I think the 2005 Techno would work well--it now has straps that will work for an infant that were not present in previous model years. I got the P3 and love it (for me, the full canopy, leg rest, snack tray, and adjustable handles sealed the deal), the Zippy, Zooper Waltz, and SC Camdens are others to consider. The true lightweights are more for toddlers than infants in IMHO, but it really depends on your baby and what you are comfortable with. I did use the Kolcraft universal for the first three months-- its available really cheap from Walmart or on E-bay.

quartzlynn
05-08-2005, 05:03 PM
thanks for your input. I did realize that about the Quest afte I asked. The issue I had withthe Techno is according to the Baby Bargains book it is not compatible with the infant seat. The snap 'n go would solve this but...

I also liked the Zippy but read some reviews regarding the comfort for taller people. Like the zooper Waltz and LOVE the Swing - just have to deal with the weight issue...

The truth is except for the super light ones, they are all in the 17-19 lbs. range and its not like I will be carrying it around - just in and out of the car-so may go for the bit heavier one (zooper or zippy) and if I need to later, go back for a super lightweight one...

WAY TOO MANY CHOICES!!

littlewilson
05-09-2005, 02:10 PM
>...The truth is except for the super light ones, they are all in
>the 17-19 lbs. range and its not like I will be carrying it
>around - just in and out of the car...

I was in the same boat as you, with a Runabout as my primary/walking stroller, but feeling like I might need something else that was lighter and smaller for easier access in the car, traveling, stores, etc.

As you said above, I figure that I'll have to wait until DS is a bit older before going for a really lightweight stroller, and since I'm not really sure about just how much I might use this alternate/lighter stroller in the meantime, I really didn't want to spend much on it. I know it's an unpopular stroller here, but I went ahead and got a Graco Metrolite, and am really happy with getting a great deal (actually got the "system" which comes with a Snugride seat), paying very little for a stroller which seems like it is pretty solid for the 17-19 lb. weight class, and offers alot of features from newborn on up. I can snap the seat in or just use the recline; steering is at least decent; easy fold; and improvments to the wheels, basket, and recline method on the 2005 version made it pretty attractive to me. Again, I just couldn't see spending much for my "secondary" stroller, and this fit the bill.

Good luck with your decision!