PDA

View Full Version : NYC PARENTS...HELP!

rpk1
05-09-2005, 05:08 PM
CALLING NYC PARENTS"

My first baby as an urbanite and I'm trying to decide on the best mode of transportation upon birth! What do you think about the
Peg Prego and/or Igneslia strollers that can snap a car seat into them vs. the snap and go? I see everyone with Maclearens however in my research, the PP and I. seem to offer more...and that way I can just go with the car seat and stroller vs. adding in the universal carrier.

Any advice???? Thanks!

dules
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Do you need to get in and out of the subway? Do you own a car/will you use an infant carseat often?

It seems a lot of NYC parents have a Maclaren for public transportation and a walking stroller (Bugaboo, etc.) for walks.

Best,
Mary

smilla653
05-09-2005, 11:29 PM
I live in the city in Chicago. Baby's due in a week, so I can make a few comments based on research/what we decided.

First, your carseat most likely won't SNAP into the stroller unless they're made by the same manufacturer. Lots of carseats FIT into lots of strollers. This means that if you get a Peg stroller and want something to snap in, you'll need a Peg carseat. I was considering getting one of those universal strollers, but really wanted the Britax Companion carseat and was told it "wasn't compatible" with those (Graco probably is)... because the Companion has slightly different dimensions, etc from other carseats (Britax now makes a stroller for it), but I have read about people on boards using them, so I don't know what's up with that. Lots of people just rest their carseat in the stroller or use a strap. The Britax DOES fit into the Inglesina Zippy stroller, so that "won" it for us.

We were always on the lookout for a compactly folding stroller, and so were between the Inglesina Zippy and the Zooper Swing. Other strollers in that category are made by MacLaren and Peg Perego. We just fell in love with the Zippy's fold. I see lots of Bugaboos in our neighborhood, but you basically have to disassemble them rather than fold them, so they were "out" for us, just based on our lifestyle (live on the third floor, want the option of using public transportation).

You should also consider investing in a sling.

What the BBB says is true -- there's no "magic bullet" stroller for every situation....

jk3
05-10-2005, 06:45 AM
All of my city friends have a Bugaboo + a Maclaren - Quest or Triumph. They use the Bugaboo as an expensive Snap N' Go initially and the bassinet for neighborhood walks. They use the Maclaren when using public transportation. I'm definitely not implying that you NEED a Bugaboo but it seems like having a rugged walking stroller is a good idea.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

shishamo
05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm from NYC, and I would just get a sling or a carrier for the first few months and get a Maclaren later (I had Techno and Volo, Techno for walking and Volo for subway).
If you want a Bugaboo and can afford it, it would be nice but a lot of babies don't like strollers so I would wait till your baby is here and see if your baby likes to ride.

knaidel
05-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm from NYC transplanted to Chicago...don't know if that counts. I would say skip the snap n go. Get yourself 2 strollers. The first one: a P3 or Zippy (or something equivlent). These are great strollers for walking around, easy to manuever, nice and padded for a newborn, and they both take a carseat. Then, get yourself a lighter weight stroller for taking public transportation (usually a Mac). Many of my friends in NY have this set up, as do I. My SIL takes her baby all around on the 1/9 with her Mac. I have a Zippy. If I need to, I can put the car seat in there. I also have a Mac Quest which I use when I'm going on the bus or the subway. Oh, excuse me, the El. :) so used to saying subway.