PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Quest vs. Techno vs. Peg Perego Aria?

elke
05-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi,

after getting our Valco Runabout yesterday and really liking it, my next goal is to find a good secondary stroller for quick errands - so something lightweight and small folding.
We were pretty much set on getting the Quest, but I have concerns that I cannnot use that one for the first 3 months or so because it doesn't recline enough.
Which is why the Techno would be another option, it's suitable from birth ...BUT it's heavier. Does anyone have experience with both and can tell whether that weight will really make a difference?
And is the Quest really useable for 3 month old babies or should one in fact even wait longer for them to use it?

While we were pushing those Maclarens around in the store, a lady came up to us and told us she had purchased one before (don't know which one) and really didn't like it and then got the Peg Perego Pliko, which she said was way better. We don't want to get the Pliko (a little too bulky for a second stroller, and too expensive), but we did check out the Aria, which is super light (only 9 pounds).

Now, in BBB, they say that the Maclarens do seem to break more often than other strollers and that the Pegs are one of the few brands that are actually still made in Italy and of high quality...however, when I just look at the strollers, the Maclarens do seem to be of better quality to me! the pegs seem very "plasticky".

Lastly, does anyone remember when the 05 maclarens came out? I was wondering whether I should snatch up a 04 model now for use later (baby due in August) or whether I should hold out and just wait until 06 models come out and then get a discounted 05 model...

Any input would be greatly appreciated - this board is the only reason I bought the Valco - would have never heard about it otherwise!

thanks,
elke

momathome
05-11-2005, 02:54 PM
For your purposes, I think the Quest would be your best choice. The Techno is pretty heavy for a quick trip stroller and the Aria does not steer as well and does not have a full recline. While you are not supposed to use the Quest until they are 3 months-old, you could use a Baby Bjorn or sling for errands or get a Kolkraft Universal Carseat carrier stroller frame that would let you snap your carseat into it for quick trips. By the time the baby would outgrow this, he/she would be old enough for the Quest. As far as deals go, www.albeebaby.com has 2004 Quests for sale between $124-$149. HTH!

SunDollyOz
05-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Just wanted to share my disappointment with our Peg Perego Aria. We bought it because it was light weight and the brand was recommended by this book, but it is a rickety piece of junk. No better than a cheap umbrella stroller. All of my friends purchased Graco, and they were so much happier. Once we stopped using the infant seat, the stroller provided little support and no seat height adjustment.
Plus, over 7 months, it's falling apart. The little piece (fell off that reclines the seat. This is a choking hazard. It won't go back on, and now the seat does not recline easily. The hood provides little protection, and it is bent. The infant cup holder does not stay snapped in. Every time we open and close the stroller, it goes rolling into the street. After 6 months of use, the piece that opens and closes the stroller popped off. Now, we have to use a pen or key everytime we open the stroller. Another piece just fell off, but I can't figure out where it came from. I e-mailed Peg Perego and received no reponse. I waited three weeks and called them directly. They said that they would replace the reclining piece. I explained that I have the piece, but it won't go back on. They also said that they would replace the opening and closing piece. There are just so many things wrong with this stroller, that I was surprised that they didn't offer to replace it. The customer representative even said that it was almost a year, so they would only replace the parts. Last I checked, there are 12 months in a year, not 7 months. Plus, a one year warranty should apply to the entire year. They were extremely unhelpful and unsympathetic.
I'm not as familiar with the other brands, but I would not recommend the Peg Perego Aria.

Edensmum
05-12-2005, 08:47 AM
I have the Aria and a Quest. I like the Arai a lot but bought the quest because the Aria doesn't fold that small. I got a good deal on an 04 Quest, nearly 50% off, from Albee baby NY. They were great.
I am having some issues witht he Quest, and I have not even had it for a month. The rain sheild was deffective and the leg extender peice fell off the second time I used it. Just thought I'd share my experience.
HTH
Eden 9/04