PDA

View Full Version : bike trailer and jogging stroller

TiaH
05-12-2005, 03:21 PM
hello,

I'm looking for a bike trailer/jogging stroller. I'm thinking about buying the Burley but since I'm not sure just how much jogging/biking I'll actually be doing I can't justify the $430 it costs. I'm wondering if anyone has a bike trailer and jogging stroller that works well for both...I see a lot out there that convert to a stroller but I'm not sure if they are any good for jogging.

thank a lot!
Beth

nataliewt
06-05-2005, 07:58 AM
HI,

I'm just wondering what you decided since we have the same question. Did you end up buying the Burley? Is there anyone else out there with an opinion on this? We are also considering buying a bike trailer and jogging stroller separately, but that could get pricey!

Thanks,
Natalie

kellyotn
06-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I can't answer your question, but I've been having the same problem. :-)

http://www.joggingstroller.com/brand/index.htm has good reviews. Check out Chariots in addition to Burleys. Seems like reviewers do like the stroller kit - MORE than their jogger they say. :-)

If you already have a mall/errand stroller (ie, this will only be for outdoors) it seems like a good option. Plus I like how well the kids would be shaded.

'Couse, as soon as I got on board with this plan, DH decided he probably wouldn't use a trailer as much as he should. So now I'm dreaming of an e3 or Valco w/ toddler seat. UGH!!

Chariot makes Trek trailers, too. Chariot is getting lots of positive reviews, though Burley is the gold standard. :-)

kelly

TiaH
06-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi there,

It's funny you guys are just posting now....we just bought a jogger yesterday. We went out for the Burley and bikes for both my husband and I...by the time we finished choosing bikes our grandtotal was adding up fast. When by husband asked if I'd really use a jogger (after he found out the Burley would be more like $500+ with the jogging option ) ....I had to admit I didn't know. So we went to Target and got the Schwinn ($179) trailer with the stroller conversion kid included. It's not a jogger ...nor can it ever be one but I figure let's see if I keep up the biking and then buy a seprate jogger if I want. (cost would probably still be less than the Burley :) )

While at the Bike store we came across the Trek models too which are quite nice...still about the same cost as the Burley. And the CoPilot brand, I really liked the looks of this and it was only $200 (will stroller conversion) but it couldn't ever be a jogger.

Good luck in your search. Kelly the e3s are really nice! (and thanks for the jogging stroller link!) And Natalie I'll keep you posted on how my little Schwinn trailer works out if you'd like?

Take care, Beth

sdjeppa
06-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Are you looking for a single or a double? We only want a single, because of width,so that really narrows down which ones we can look at.

Also, what kind of bike riding are you going to be doing? We just bought a Burley Solo, but DH mountain bikes, so it will be used on some dirt roads, the beach, etc...we wanted to make sure it was a good one that would last.

If you just want to tool around on the street/sidewalks, I don't think anything would be wrong with a cheaper one, then get a jogger. We really like the Burley...it was a close call between it and the Chariot, but the storage on the Burley sold it for us :) No info on the jogger part, we aren't getting that. I will say, though, if you get a Burley or Chariot, they really hold their value - the used ones sell for almost as much as a new one!

Jenny, Mommy to Zachary 9-27-03

kellyotn
06-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Totally agree about the re-sale value! IF you can find a used Burley, its very very expensive. :-) DH probably will get one (or a Chariot), but our youngest is only 10 months, so maybe next year. We could probably get away with a cheaper brand, but I know he'd comment that we never did that with strollers! ha ha.

I'm so tempted by the e3, I can't even tell you! :-) I'm kinda glad they are out of stock everywhere.

nataliewt
06-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all the great advice! From this and looking through the archives it seems like the bike trailer/jogger combo is actually doable so that is good to know! I've read a lot of the Chariot reviews, and everyone seems to love them. I'm interested to hear from more people who have Burley's (and yes, the Schwinn!) Our bike trailer will mostly be used for commuting to and from daycare on city streets (we can't seem to fit exercise into our lives any other way!). The jogger will be for city streets and decent trails. We do go to some rougher trails, but we use the baby back pack for that - though with a 6.5 month, 21 pounder maybe that won't last too long!! We have a nice little local shop that sells the Burley just a few blocks from our house, and we aren't sure if we can get the Chariot locally (REI is about 45 minutes away) so that is tipping the scales in favor or the Burley. And as for the single vs. double?? We do plan to have a second kiddo in a couple of years (unless we go crazy first). I don't mind the double for biking, but it does seem a little cumbersome for jogging...opinions?

Thanks all!
Natalie

TiaH
06-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Natalie, you are battling with the same question I am. (I'm actually thinking about returning the schwinn and getting the burley!) But now I just don't know if we'll really use it for two children...when we have two taht is! :) For us, it'll be mostly casual riding/running (maybe some 5ks but nothing more). The riding will be on packed dirt mostly. At first I was thinking it'll be nice to be able to take both kids out if I'm home on my own ...but that might sound good in theory but I'm wondering how often it'd really work out. I'm thinking most the time we'd probably be together (husband and I) and might like to each take a child to spread out the weight.

Also....I think the Burley's look very comfortable but the "real" jogging strollers still look more comfortable...more head support and all. So I do keep going back and forth on whether I should just get a trailer and a jogger (or one that is both) ....and of course the question above ...solo or double.

Take care, Beth

jwozy
06-06-2005, 01:37 PM
We bought the chariot cougar (the double) a couple months ago and have absolutely loved it. We had narrowed our choices down to the burley and the chariot and after checking both of them out decided on the chariot because it was much easier to collapse to put in the car. So far we have used the chariot on a couple of 5K runs and walks/jogs around the neighborhood and the twins have enjoyed the ride. We did buy the bike trailer attachment but haven't gotten around to try it out yet. We also have the stroller attachment and I have actaully used the chariot at the mall with no problems.