PDA

View Full Version : Pink Valco Runabout as only single stroller?

zoethebeagle
05-14-2005, 09:14 AM
My sister's husband is buying my sister a new stroller for mother's day and she REALLY wants a pink stroller. I told him about what I thought was out there that was pink- Maclarens, Inglesina Espresso in light pink, the new Zippy with hot pink detailing (I think), and the Valco. Am I missing anything new?

Right now she is using my 2003 Zippy and loves the stroller. Before she saw the Valco she was leaning towards the P3 (which I have and love) for many reasons- especially the child tray and cup holder. I thought based on what I've read here that the Valco might be too much of a pain for in and out of the car- we do the mall and other errands with the stroller alot. She is absolutely smitten with how it looks (so am I.....) but I just want to make sure it is not a mistake for her only stroller- especially since it's $500.

She said she talked to Kit at Baby Outfitters who assured her it would be fine. Can anyone offer some advice before she makes a purchase?

Thanks-
Erika

phillymommy
05-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I have the Runabout and I think I would die if I had to take it in and out of the car every time I ran an errand. It's my everyday stroller, but I primarily walk everywhere and hardly drive. I'm in the market for a lightweight to keep in the car b/c, while I LOVE the Valco for outside, it's just too too bulky and heavy to lug in and out.

Nicole
Mom to Charlie (3.2 years) & Mateo (5 months)

Beth568
05-14-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a Runabout, too - just bought it. I love it for long walks, walks on bumpy surfaces, etc., but it is pretty heavy and bulky when folded. I have a Subaru Outback wagon, so the back of my car is big, and it takes up a bunch of space. If I had to get the Valco in and out of the trunk of a sedan, I'd get fed up quickly. And I think it would be a nightmare at the mall, because it's a big stroller - not good for steering around stores or the coffee shop, KWIM?

I'm looking around for a second stroller now to keep in the car and use indoors. We'll take the Valco on vacation with us to Maine, and do flat day hikes and the long walk into town with it, but it would not be a good choice for an everyday stroller, IMO.

I'm narrowing my choices down to a Mac Quest or a Zippy. If it were my only stroller, I'd do the Zippy 2005 1/2 - you can use it with lots of infant car seats, it's got more substantial padding for a younger baby, and she can get pink.

FWIW, I also think that light pink Valco, while cool, would get dirty really fast. A rugged stroller like that in a light color...sounds like trouble to me. ;)

zoethebeagle
05-14-2005, 03:26 PM
How can I tell if it is a 2005 1/2 versus a 2005? Did the 2005 1/2 recently come out? Would you mind telling me the improved features on the 2005 1/2 versus the older model? Have you seen the pink Zippy IRL?

Thanks-
Erika

JodiM
05-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Erika,
The 2005½ has a toddler step and a cupholder on them.. that is probably the easiest way of knowing.
If he is ordering online, tell him to make sure it specifically says 2005½.

However, there wasn't another pink one in 05, so he should be fine.

The Valco is a awesome stroller, but I agree, if she runs lots of errands, go with the zippy!

bcafe
05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
The valco actually works really well at a mall. I could zip through doorways with ease, and also fit into standard dressing rooms with it. It's actually not that wide.
Betsy

strollerqueen
05-16-2005, 04:27 AM
The pink Silver Cross Micro is really pretty. But it, and the Valco, are such totally different stroller. She needs to figure out if she needs a lightweight umbrella, or a heavier, A/T type.

lmarcam
05-16-2005, 01:05 PM
I have the 2004 Runabout and love love love it, but I agree with the others, its definitely not a mall stroller.

lmariana
05-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I just got my red Runabout last week and am loving it. It's about the same width as the Quinny Buzz. I used to have a Kiwi E3, which is similar to the Runabout, and I used that as my primary stroller for a long time. It did okay in the mall, but I eventually felt like I was pushing around a big jogger and opted for something smaller...a Bugaboo.

Since then, my Bugaboo is still my main stroller for everyday use. I also like to have an all-terrain for neighborhood walks and outdoor use, currently my Valco. I also have a Zippy for air travel and public transport (seldom used) and a Quinny Zapp as my small lightweight. As many other moms on here will confess, you OFTEN end up needing more than one stroller throughout your child's life. :)

If she's really jonesing for a PINK stroller there are lots of great options out there this season!
Maclaren has a bunch of pink ones (Quest, Volo, Techno)
Bugaboo Cameleon will have a pink option (yay!) later this year
Silver Cross Micro (for babies over 6 months and sitting well)

...and if all else fails, there are some great ladies on StrollerSwap who will custom-make a stroller seat cover in the fabric of your choice!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051024/0/21/1/-5/.png