PDA

View Full Version : P&T Kiwi e3v2 owners... a couple questions

swampus
05-14-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm loving my e3 (dd 20 mos., ds 2 mos.), but I want to know a couple of things from the experts.

--how old was your baby when you put him/her in the rumble seat? Did you use anything to help prop the head up if they were younger than ~4 months? I'm worried that my ds is getting older and more aware and won't like it lying flat for too much longer. But I don't want to jump the gun on the rumble seat just yet.

--did the rumble seat rider reach out and touch the rear wheels when strolling? I put dd back there just to show my parents how it would work--and she immediately reached out and touched the wheels! I didn't have her harnessed in, but that really surprised me. Any problems with it?

--sun protection in the rear once the rumble seat is on. I use my Skip Hop now, but will it work for the rear seat? I don't know if it'll balance on the top of the back seat, or hang down on top of the little guy's head. Is there another option? I thought I saw someone mention a UV mesh or something along those lines...

and on a funny note:

--are you tired of answering questions about it when you're out and about? Seriously, it's getting to be a bit much for me! :) I was out at Oak Brook shopping center (upscale outdoor mall) outside Chicago last week and no fewer than 6 people talked to me about it! Most were very impressed, but I got a couple frowns from some who thought I had put my baby in the storage basket! So I find myself getting into more lengthy conversations about how it's a newborn bed, another seat clips on when he's older, etc. etc. I told dh that it's so funny when people stop me--like they're complimenting me on *my* design... like I invented it or something.

Thanks for any ideas and comments you have!

n2ou
05-14-2005, 12:11 PM
...taking the e3 out slows you down due the the constant stopping and explaining. Poeple get freaked out when I push an empty stroller ( dd is walking) and a baby starts screaming from the "storage basket".

What color is yours? Mine is red.
I still have mine in newborn/toddler and my son will be 4 months old on the 22nd. I have tried it once in the toddler/toddler with him in the back and he just didn't look comfy.

I have read about the concern about the wheels but have no experience with it yet. Since the smaller baby is supposed to be in the back, I think it will take a while before he can even reach.

Otherwise, I love it, I attached a BOB console and now it fits my needs like no other stroller could.

Simone

vikivoly
05-14-2005, 10:35 PM
>--how old was your baby when you put him/her in the rumble
>seat?
4 months

Did you use anything to help prop the head up if they
>were younger than ~4 months?
No

I'm worried that my ds is
>getting older and more aware and won't like it lying flat for
>too much longer. But I don't want to jump the gun on the
>rumble seat just yet.
I wouldn't worry as long as he still fits and isn't complaining about it.

>
>--did the rumble seat rider reach out and touch the rear
>wheels when strolling?
No, but she's still only 6 months old. When I put my 2 year old back there she never bothered with the wheels either.

>--sun protection in the rear once the rumble seat is on. I
>use my Skip Hop now, but will it work for the rear seat?
I don't have a Skip Hop, so I'm not sure, but I believe you can still use it in the toddler/toddler mode. However, I don't like blocking my view of the baby. I use the pannier bags for storage. For a sun shade I have the double sun shade. It's an optional accessory made specifically for the E3.

>--are you tired of answering questions about it when you're
>out and about?
I'm one who usually likes to discuss my baby products, but must admit that it can get annoying when so many people ask about it. I find that I've become very vague and probably come off as being snotty because I don't go into much detail. I've actually considered printing up business cards with their email address just to say, "here check it out for yourself." And for every 1 person that actually asks, there are 5 people who comment just to their friends. Just wait until you put it in the toddler/toddler mode. Most people don't notice the baby in the infant mode - you'll be getting stopped even more.

chrissyhowie
05-15-2005, 12:06 AM
>--how old was your baby when you put him/her in the rumble
>seat?
I think we started when DD#2 was about 4-5 months old

>Did you use anything to help prop the head up if they
>were younger than ~4 months?
No

>--did the rumble seat rider reach out and touch the rear
>wheels when strolling?
DD#1 often chooses to sit in the back. She did touch the wheels once, but she's a very tidy girl so she didn't like that her hands got dirty. DD#2 has never tried to touch the wheels (yet).

>--sun protection in the rear once the rumble seat is on. I
>use my Skip Hop now, but will it work for the rear seat?
The double sunshade was fantastic for the newborn bed. But my DD#1 was never good about sitting enclosed under the mesh. So it stayed rolled up in the hood. I just sold the double sunshade because I knew it wasn't going to work for us this summer. It seems like the back rider gets some sun protection from the person pushing the stroller, but we'll see how well that really works this summer in the stronger sun. I may end up getting a piece of solarveil fabric to just make a "hood" to protect the back rider.

>--are you tired of answering questions about it when you're
>out and about?
Just like Vicki said, just wait until you are using the rumble seat! People ask or comment about the stroller ALL the time. I don't even know what website to tell people anymore now that kiwi-kid.com isn't carrying them!

If you don't have the pannier bags or BOB console, seriously consider getting them. Definitely worth it.

HTH,

swampus
05-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the reply, Simone--I do have the BOB console, but unfortunately, I can't use it to hold drinks... I'm tall, so I have the handlebar flipped up. The BOB doesn't fit to hold drinks that way (it's not level). But I did attach it so it hangs down... and I can still stick my keys, cell, sunglasses, etc. in there. So it's still handy, just not for a drink!

I do love this stroller... I just need to figure out the sun protection!

kristin

swampus
05-15-2005, 07:42 AM
How funny about printing up a card--that's a good idea, actually! I need to memorize where the P&T info is on the stroller. It seems I'm always looking around, pointing to it so the people can see it. It's just crazy to me how many people talk to me about it! It's fun (and I like talking baby products, too), but I was running late the other day and felt like giving out one of those cards you mentioned. :)

And I have noticed those people that just comment to their friends, "Oh, look at that stroller!" I've dropped the SnugRide in there a couple times to hop out to run a 2 minute errand (usually ds lies flat), and that got a lot of attention--people usually don't even notice the baby's in there since he's so quiet all the time. I've had a couple people kind of freak out and say, "I thought that was a doll baby back there!" :) That's when he was still pretty little.

Anyway, I'll need to look into the sunshade from P&T. I don't think dd will like it at all, but maybe if I just use it for the longer walks around the neighborhood and not for the quick jaunts to the park, she'll tolerate it. I'd hate to spend the money, though, and have her refuse to use it!

swampus
05-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply!

Where do you get solarveil fabric? Would a fabric store have it? And how do you make it work as a "hood" like you said? I think that might be a better option than wrapping them up in the sunshade from P&T.

I replied to another poster about the BOB console--since I have the handlebar flipped to the higher position, it doesn't work! In all my research before ds was born, I never saw mention of that... I still use it, though, just not to it's fullest potential. :)

So they're not available anywhere for a couple of months? I've been telling everyone I got mine at TRS! These people are going to come back and shoot me! ;) Of everyone that's commented, I've had several who are having a daughter/sister/friend that's having a second baby and they're interested in getting the stroller for the preggo. I'll have to tell them they won't be available until July.

Oh, and one other thing--did you replace the footboard? dd can't reach the footboard in toddler/newborn mode, but when I used it as a single before ds came, she would stomp down on it and slow the ride when I passed by the playland at the mall. I need to contact the company about getting a new one. I've heard of others that have had it done.

I lied-one more thing. The panier bags... how do they hook on? I think dd needs something to hold her drink/snack. But I saw another poster a long time ago say that she could get something from WalMart that would work just as well. But I didn't know how they were supposed to clip on.

thanks!

kristin, proud e3 owner. :)

houseof3boys
05-15-2005, 07:55 AM
Let me know how you end up configuring the solarveil shade since I still have a yard or two from last year when they were on sale. I was going to buy your sunshade but as soon as I was sending you an email to say I wanted it - you sold it!!

TIA

chrissyhowie
05-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Here's the link to a fairly recent thread about the footwell with info on whom to contact:
http://tinyurl.com/daoaf

You can get solarveil fabric from this site:
http://www.solarveil.com/fabric.asp
I haven't figured out yet if I can make a hood that will work :)!

I used to dislike the pannier bags when I first got them. They are kind of overpriced for what they are. That being said, they are very functional, and I have grown to appreciate them. I can fit all sorts of stuff in there -- milk gallons, heavy grocery items, the entire family's jackets when it has been warmer than expected, etc. They are fantastic for all-day outings when you want to have everything. I usually don't carry a separate diaper bag with me when I am using the e3 as I keep "essentials" stored in the bag at all times.

There have been postings about using a bag that is available at Walmart instead of the pannier bag. I think that's a good option only if you do not want the expanded storage that the panniers offer. The Walmart bags are much less expensive and more structured. They add less width to the stroller because of that. The pannier bags do have a side mesh pocket that I've put DD#1's juice straw cup in before, but I don't think she'd be able to get it in and out of there on her own very well. But it would work if you just need a place where she'd have some access to it.

HTH,

chrissyhowie
05-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Debbi,
The sunshade was a very popular item! I got many more replies regarding it than I expected. The person who ended up buying it emailed me minutes after I had listed it.

I've been playing around with some fabric I have lying around the house. I'll definitely let you know if I figure somewhat that works :).

vikivoly
05-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Why didn't you want to use the sunshield for only the rear passenger with the extra on the hood? (I hope I'm making sense.) Gillian did not like the sunshield last year, although she didn't have a problem with our Zooper sunshield. I think the E3's is too dark. Any way, back to my point, I found myself just keeping it flipped up on the canopy. Of course there was no DD#2 last summer, so I didn't need the rear protection. I haven't needed it yet in doubles mode this year, but was planning on using it for the rear seat and keeping the front part on the canopy. Is there some reason this won't work or do you just want something less bulky? Maybe I should consider selling mine also.

vikivoly
05-15-2005, 11:19 PM
The other annoying thing is the stroller's name. Some people will ask what company makes the stroller and they're not really expecting you to say "Phil and Ted's Excellent Stroller Company". :)

chrissyhowie
05-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Vicki,
I used it all last summer with the majority rolled in the hood, while using the back part for the newborn bed. It was fall/winter by the time we were using toddler/toddler mode, so I never really needed the rear sunshade in that mode. Once I took off the sunshade, while it is unobtrusive rolled up in there, I realized that it took up a lot of "useful" room in the hood. I tend to hold snack cups, hats, mittens, etc. in the pulled back hood -- small stuff that I want instant, easy access to while strolling. The rolled up sunshade just took up a lot of that space.

I think if my kids burned really easily or if I lived where there was more intense sun year round, I would have kept the sunshade. But it was just more than I need and certainly wasn't being used to its full capacity.

I was playing around with some lightweight fabric I had lying around the house yesterday. I'm going to try a few curtain-like configurations and see if any of them work well enough. Hopefully I'll figure something out or else that backseat might be less popular :).

swampus
05-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Vicki--that's funny that you say that, because I'm always saying, "It's from NZ, but it's called P&T's, like the movie.." I just need to shut my yapper and stroll on! ;)

swampus
05-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I'd really like to check out that bag from WalMart--is it in the biking section or the baby section? I have no idea where to look! I'll have to browse around and see what it looks like. I really just want it for dd to be able to keep a few things--a sippy cup and snack...

If you know what brand or where to locate in the store, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

dragop21
05-16-2005, 02:06 PM
all you E3 owners, I am so jealous! I have to wait and save a bit until I can purchase mine. I just went and did a test run here and I really liked it. but one problem that I encountered was they did not have the bar across the front, it was missing from the model on the floor. but I would like to know if a Peg carseat can "unofficially" sit there while daughter is in back? how does the attachment even work for the adapter? she didn't have it, so I couldn't figure it out.

thanks so much
Candice

vikivoly
05-16-2005, 11:13 PM
I never used the carseat with mine, but I *think* you have to unzip/recline the front seat to fit a carseat. The front bar is too thick for an infant carrier to clip onto, but I don't have the adapter. Some women have just set the carseat into the newborn bed when in the toddler/newborn mode.

swampus
07-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Did you ever figure out how to configure a sunshade?

ds is 4 months now, and we're at that in-between stage of using the newborn bed, but transitioning to toddler/toddler mode. I'm worried about sun on his arms and legs from the side--my SkipHop gives adequate protection for high noon, but that's about it!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for sun protection for the little one in the rumble seat! :)

sobers3
07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I had attached a Protect-a-Bub onto the handle, but facing backwards to give shade to the rider in the toddler seat. HTH Mary

swampus
07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
I was wondering if the p-a-b facing backwards, or a piece of solarveil would be better:

http://www.solarveil.com/133.asp

Do you happen to have a picture? Do you bump into it as you walk, or does it not extend that far? Is it awkward to steer the stroller when it's attached?

thank you so much for the reply! :)

chrissyhowie
07-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Sharyn (SASM) just emailed me the exact same question just a few days ago LOL.

I ended up not using anything. I cut a piece of lightweight fabric I had around the house, but ended up not bothering to ever use it. I am finding that the BOB console and the person pushing the stroller provides enough shade for the back rider. I live in NYC, so conditions might be different in an area that gets more intense sun.

In some ways the back rider gets more shade than the front rider because I don't use any kind of shade extender. Luckily, my kids don't burn easily either, so sunblock slathered on before we leave and the shade provided by the stroller acoutrements seems to be enough. The front rider will definitely have tan legs by summer's end LOL. The back rider is more apt to get side sun, but so far not using a rear sunshade is working fine for us.

I think the hood turned backwards like sobers3 suggested is a great idea if you need more sun protection.