PDA

View Full Version : Valco or MUB?

mommabear2
05-18-2005, 09:12 AM
After months of research the time has come to make a decision. I have narrowed it down to the Valco Runabout or Mountain Buggy Urban.

This will be my only stroller. My daughter is one month old and we are not planning any more children. My main use is for walking - year round. My neighborhood has bumpy sidewalks. I live in an area where we have mosquitos to contend with in the summer and snow in the winter. Only occasional mall trips but need to be able to accomodate walking to the neighborhood grocery etc.

Does anyone know how the Valco or Mountain Buugy handle snow? What do people use to keep the bugs away on the Valco? Is the Valco rust resistant (aluminum)? Do you need extra sun protection for either models? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

phillymommy
05-18-2005, 09:19 AM
I've had both. I sold my MB to get a Valco with toddler seat b/c I had a second baby. If I was not planning on any more children I would get the MB, hands down. I like the Valco, but I just LOVED my MB. It is so simple and easy to push. I was out in snowstorms and it handled really well. The Valco is still a great stroller though and it is definitely more plush and has more features than the MB. All in all though, I think a MB is a better option for you.

Nicole
Mom to Charlie (3.2 years) & Mateo (5.5 months)

suzhatch1
05-18-2005, 10:30 AM
IMO, I would lean toward the MBUS if only for weight alone. We just purchased the MBUS & love it. I did not see the Valco IRL, but I did compare the MBUS to the Valco online prior to purchasing. Both have a lot of similiar characteristics, but as the PP mentioned once I tried out the MBUS & pushed it around, it manuevered like a dream. No other stroller I tried in the all-terrain category pushed this smoothly.

The MBUS is also about 5 lbs lighter than the Valco (22lbs vs 27lbs) which may not sound like a lot; but trust me, if you're going to be folding & lifting the stroller into a car or putting it aside in a closet or garage, those extra lbs will soon wear on you. In comparison, when I fold up & lift the Peg P3 (17lbs) vs our MBUS(22lbs) which is also a 5lb difference I can tell a big difference. At first I could barely notice it, but if you are planning on having this be your ONLY stroller - then chances are you will be lifting it here & there and toting it in your car, so those 5lbs will be a life saver.

I believe the Valco does come with a standard child's grab bar (not a snack bar) included, where as the MBUS it's an accessory. Plus the MBUS is a couple dollars more, but in the long run, if you don't think the 2nd toddler seat will be necessary, I'd recommend the MBUS.

IMO, if you are concerned about extra sun protection, both strollers would need additional coverage. The MBUS only covers part way (and I believe the Valco is the same). You can get several accessories that will fit universal strollers. Here's a few:

Protect-a-Bub Extended Canopy Sunshade: http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/strollers/stroller_toys/4636

Protect-a-Bub Full Cover Sunshade:
http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/strollers/stroller_toys/4124

HTH!
Good luck on your decision!
Suz

gatorsmom
05-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Ha, the mosquitoes and snow- that sounds familiar. Do you live in Minnesota?

Regardless, I walk almost year round in those conditions with my MBUS (and now my MBUD) and love it. The MB is so wonderful in the snow, slush, on ice, gravel, etc. It really is a dream to push. I bought the MB sun/bug cover and love that too. In the land of 10,000 lakes up here, the mosquitoes will carry you away but your child will remain cool and untouched under that cover. It is more of a stiff, woven fiber material so it stands out away from the seat and children who are strapped into their seat can't reach it to tug at it. Also, it lets in a nice air flow. Frankly, I've heard good things about some of the other bug covers, too, but i"ve only ever owned the MB cover. That cover obviously, provides sun protection while it is being used as a bug cover but it also folds in a way that it juts out from the canopy to provide extra sun protection on the days you don't need the bug protection.

Can you tell I love my MB? HTH

JodiM
05-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Really, they both push and maneuver great. The Valco does weigh more, but it also has ALOT more features than the MBUS.

One of my issues with the MBUD (same thing, but double version) is that the seats didn't sit bolt upright... and my dd would have a fit.
While I don't think you will have a problem with that now, it might be later on.

Another issue with the MB is that EVERYTHING is an accessory... and you have to buy it seperate.. and the canopy is not very big, and will have to be replaced with a taller one later on.

Valco comes standard with most all the accessories, and is alot more padded, plus you have the option of sitting it upright.

Other than that, it boils down to the weight (which if you're not lifting it alot, that wont matter) and the looks.