PDA

View Full Version : Bugaboo Frog - Is it worth it?

mommabear2
05-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I was considering a Mountain Buggy, but the Bugaboo is more tempting since I realized that once you add the expense of all the accessories ( mosquito net, car seat adapter, wind protector etc,) MBU is not much cheaper than the Bugaboo. It seems from reading the messages on this board that most people have more than one stroller.

If you were to do it over would anyone consider just getting the Bugaboo Frog since it seems to do it all ( all-terrain, lightweight,stylish)? Does anyone have any complaints (besides the price).

nola
05-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I got the BF about a year and a half ago and haven't regretted it. Not for a second. In fact, I wish I could by them in more colors just for the zing of it. They feel really sturdy and turn on a dime, and conform to my little girls body.
But, I might be a little wierd with the asthetic things. At the time, my choices were pretty slim. I just can't push a blue-white checked stroller with fabric lace trim everywhere. In fact, I find the pack-n-play I was forced to buy so offensively ugly I can barely use it. So, I didn't buy many baby products and this stroller was the thing that I was wanting.
But, if I look at the pure functionality of the stroller, it probably doesn't warrant the price. Partly because of the complicated fold and partly because of the weight. (Again I love the stroller, but objectively the price is high) The fly-weight silver cross with the easy fold (bought one for my hubby's car) would probably be just fine (it rocks) for any situation I've been in. I haven't needed to do it all. How often do you take the stroller on a hike?
We have the bugaboo, the inglesina (daddy's car), and a jogging stroller (for jogging, bought it used). So we still have three strollers. And (go ahead and laugh) we don't use strollers that much. My daughter is a walking type.

quartzlynn
05-27-2005, 11:28 PM
I posted this elsewhere but I am in the same dilemma. Also considering the Valco Runabout because it **seems** to have the functionality of the MBUS but with all of the accesories included...

Love to hear what others have to say!

dules
05-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Well, you can always buy NON-Mountain Buggy accessories and save yourself a bundle. A RayShade works well on the canopy for sun protection, a Graco rain cover fits, and any footmuff that you like will probably work (BundleMe, PramSnug, etc.). I have not tried but I'd bet that a generic bug netting will fit as well. You may need the extended canopy depending on how tall your child is and if s/he is still riding around the age of 3....

I'm starting to "get" the Bugaboo mania but I have to admit that I'd be pretty upset if my child outgrew a $700 stroller less than two years after buying it, which is a complaint I've seen about Frogs (and which has in theory been remedied by the Cameleon - do a search for info on the new model). It looks lovely as a newborn/infant stroller though!

As for the Valco, it's a really nice stroller and comes with a lot of bells and whistles. It's mostly an aesthetic choice between it and the Mountain Buggy. The Valco is also made in China, which may or may not make a difference to you.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Mary

lmariana
05-29-2005, 06:56 AM
I bought my Frog June 2004 when my son was about 10 months old. It's still our primary stroller today at 21 months old (and a tall 35"). I love my Frog and wouldn't part with it for anything! After a year of constant use indoors, outdoors, and on sand, its still in wonderful condition and hasn't aged a day.

The only accessories I bought were the parasol (for the beach) and the bag clips for shopping. If we fly with it again, I'll probably buy the transport bag, just to be on the safe side, although last time I flew with it, it came out fine (just a flat tire on the trip home).

My son is tall and still fits in his Bugaboo just fine. His head is starting to skim the top though. I have removed the sunshade now, since we're usually indoors and he doesn't sleep in the stroller anymore.

#2 is coming in October and I am SO excited about using the newborn bassinet with him/her! It's so gorgeous and cozy...a really nice bassinet. I even plan on using it inside the house. It would be a perfect napping place when visiting someone's house. I will be buying an additional seat frame from Bugaboo so I can have both the seat and bassinet assembled at the same time. That way I can use the bassinet if Gabe is in the walking mood, or let him ride in the seat and sling the baby without having to change out the fabric sets.

BTW- once you add in all the Bugaboo standard accessories (raincover, mosquito net, air pump, napper bar, and bassinet), the MBUS is about the same price if not more. Granted, they are different types of strollers, so it's not an entirely fair comparison. If you anticipate spending a good deal of time outdoors, I'd recommend the MBUS over the Bug.

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/0/0/1/-5/.png

quartzlynn
05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Hmm - Interesting observations...

There is a chance we would be moving to colorado so any insight on the MBUS / Bugaboo in snow. I dont anticipate long walks when there is lots of it, but during the melt / ice we could be....

I looked at the bugaboo and had trouble with the fold but I suppose it all just takes practice!

stuff714
06-02-2005, 07:42 PM
I love my Bugaboo. It is my favorite as well as my DD's. She is so comfortable in it and it steers so well. I love the fact that she can face me. At 7 months she still wants to see mommy and of course mommy still wants to see her. We went to SF this weekend and took our P3 because it takes up less room in a fully loaded car and the whole time I was kicking myself for not bringing the Bugaboo. It handles so much better and is much more comfortable for DD. She seems so lost in the wide P3 seat. However, I am too chicken to check my Bugaboo on a plane. That is why we bought the P3, which has a lot of great features as well. But if I had to choose only one, it would be the Bugaboo hands down. I think it is well worth the $, especially if you are buying it from birth and even more so if you are planning onhaving more children.

To the person who said they are going to buy and extra frame, that sounds like a fabulous idea. Where do you get them and how much does it cost?