PDA

View Full Version : Double Stroller

jbintz
05-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Anyone have any opinions on double strollers? I have a Graco Snug Ride carseat that I would like to fit onto a dual stroller.

The stroller would be for two kids, 19 mos old (34lbs) and a newborn (born 9lbs 4 oz). I have been looking at the duoglider from graco.

Anyone have opinions as to brands/warnings etc....

Thanks for the help
Jana

fairyfahrenholz
05-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Jana -

Well, we are kind of in the same boat. DD is 13 months and 21# and DS is due to arrive at any given second (and he'll be at least 9.5#). We also have a Snugride from DD that we wanted to be able to use with DS and a double stroller.

With DD we bought a Combi Savona PM stroller. Worked great, had an adapter bar for the seat, everything was lovely.

With #2 arriving, we considered the Combi Twin Savvy (rumor has it the 2005 models will also come with an adapter bar for the Snugride, however, we tested a 2004 in the store and we know that we could use the adapter bar from our single on the double and it would work the same).

We also looked at a Mac Twin Traveler, Peg Twin Aria, Peg Duette. Not happy with any of them ultimately. DH liked the Combi better than the Mac (said the Combi felt more sturdy, oddly enough), didn't jive with the Aria and DH LOVED the Duette, but that's because it reminded him of an F-16 Fighter Jet. Which I had to explain was an unacceptable reason to purchase a stroller. I did not like the Duette for the sheer size and weight of it...it's a beast!

Then I started looking at the MBUD and Valco Runabout Twin. After reading a whole lot on this board, we finally made the trek to Illinois to check them both out. Well, we loved the Valco Runabout twin. The new 2005 model has an optional carseat bar for the Snugride. DD was comfy as could be in it, the weight is reasonable and 6'5" DH was in heaven pushing it.

As for the Graco Duoglider. Some folks love them. And a lot of folks hate them. It's all going to depend on what your main use is for it. They are pretty dang heavy. A lot of people complain about tandum strollers with the kids fighting (hair pulling, etc). I like that the Valco is so slim and will fit through a standard door. Reliability of the Duoglider is not the best if I remember from the book and I just always felt they were really cheap when I looked at them in TRU.

I really recommend to go test driving any stroller before you buy. I could not fathom plunking down $550 on a stroller before buying it (hence the trek to Illinois...no store in Wisconsin sells a Valco) and am so glad we did. It convinced DH that I wasn't being irrational/insane/hormonal 9 month pregnant woman (however, when I welled up with tears, realizing the mall had a Neiman Marcus didn't help that cause, LOL...no Neiman's in Wisconsin either!)

Good luck. We literally struggled with the stroller thing for 7 months.

Kristen
Emma 5/5/04
Peanut 6/2/05

PS...I just want to add that we're not rich. Not by any stretch. However, we both firmly believe in buying quality the first time so you don't waste your money having to rebuy the same thing down the road. Yes, it was a lot of money for the stroller, but we feel it was worth it. If you have an absolute budget for the stroller with no playing-room, then do what you can with what will work for you and make you happy. You can always check out the Stroller Swap boards as well and hopefully snap up a good deal.

calv
05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
I just got my 04 zooper it's a SBS and I LOVE it. yes it's a little on the heavy side but its' an outstanding stroller. It comes w/teh boot, sun protector in addition to the visor, and the rain cover. IMO, for $150 you can go wrong w/this SBS especially since the 04's hold an infant seat.