PDA

View Full Version : Valco Runabout vs. Bumbleride Rocket

K-Bear
05-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I tried the Runabout today at a local store. Wonderful stroller! It steered like a dream and the size/weight didn't bother me. I was able to maneuver the stroller relatively easily around the store (it wasn't a big place either) and it fit in the trunk of my Honda Accord. The weight also didn't bother me as much as I had feared.

I'm still debating between the Valco and the Rocket. I don't think I'll be able to test the Rocket in person.

Has anyone tested both the Valco and Rocket? How does the Rocket compare to the Valco? The dimensions seem to be the same (except the Rocket is 4 inches longer...correct?). Is the Rocket as cushy as the Valco? Does it steer as well? Does it fold like the Valco?

kjcory
05-31-2005, 12:52 AM
We just got the Bumbleride Rocket and I love it so far. I had a Maclaren Mac3 which was stolen off my front porch but it was a blessing in disguise because I think the Rocket is a much better fit for us.

I love the look of it, first of all (I got the Ruby, which has a really beatiful contrasting geographic pattern as an accent). It is big, but folds up pretty compactly and fits into my Honda Accord trunk. My daughter and I go on an hour-long walk with the dog each day, and it is really great so far for this--as well as trips to the store, etc. My dog is very active and pulls a lot, so it's important that I'm able to control the stroller with one hand and put the brake on quickly if I need to focus on the dog.

It steers really easily--I love the swivel wheel and adjustable handle. It is really comfy for my daughter--the seating is nicely padded, the sun shade is roomy and adjustable so I can move it and make sure the sun is in her eyes. There are multiple settings on the seat--my daughter likes to sit upright but I like having all of the options--it reclines all the way flat and the foot rest pops up, which is really nice. It also has a good basket.

It comes with a few great accessories, including a carseat adaptor bar (will work with my Graco Snugride for a future baby) and boot that has a great little zipper pouch.

I've had a few questions that I've directed to BumbleRide and I've heard back really promptly from the person I think is the president (still a pretty small operation).

Now for a few concerns/negatives: when it arrived and I put it together, it was slightly off0--the seat recline didn't work and it was at a weird angle...my husband had to loosen up some sockets and flip some things around to make it fit. When I talked to BumbleRide, they said that has happened with shipping and there's an easy way to fix it without taking anything apart.

The only other concern I have is that a few times when I've been going around corners, it has seemed a little like it was going up on two wheels. Just something to be conscious of.

I asked BumbleRide if they planned to do a toddler seat for the Rocket like they have for QueenB--they don't have plans at this point, and that is definitely a nice feature of the Valco...but who knows what they might plan for the future.

Other than that, I love it! I've only had it for a few weeks but I love it so far!

Let me know if you have other questions.

Kristy

K-Bear
05-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks! I'm especially glad to hear it can fit into your Honda Accord since that's what we have too and you can steer it one handed.

I love the looks of the fabric as well - and it seems to be such a great value for the price!

Nichole
05-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Could I also ask you a question about the Bumbleride? Is it a really big stroller when it's in use? I can't see it in person but am considering one, however I'm small and I'm wondering if I'll look like a midget pushing it.

Also, does the seat adjust in a way that your baby can sit upright well? Many of the strollers I've tried don't sit up straight enough and my 9 month old holds on to the snack tray to sit up. I hate that.

cgdmom
06-01-2005, 01:56 PM
What is the brake like on the Rocket? (Hand or foot?) I have a Buzz, and don't need another 3-wheel type stroller...but I love the red Rocket. The brake on the Buzz is a foot brake that I don't really like, so if the Buzz had a hand brake that might justify buying a new stroller.

elliput
06-01-2005, 03:59 PM
The Rocket has a foot brake.

kjcory
06-08-2005, 11:33 AM
It is fairly large when in use--but the handle is really adjustable so it would work for a range of heights--my husband is really tall, so that was a must for me. I like the fact that the handle is pretty far back from the stroller so if you're going on a walk for exercise, you can walk pretty fast without bumping your feet on the rear axle.

The stroller has a setting that is straight upright that my daughter (13 mo) really likes--along with four or five other settings that go all the way back to completely reclined flat.

Hope that helps!

Kristy

RJPO
06-08-2005, 12:39 PM
The Rocket has a foot brake, but it's a bar that goes straight across and is very easy to operate.

I'm five foot three, and I do feel like the Rocket is pretty big. I can't see over it when I'm pushing it! But I still like it, because the steering is unbelievable and the ride is really smooth. We have a Bugaboo Frog as well, which is famous for it's smooth ride, and I think the Rocket is just as good.

Rachel
mom to
Mary India, 6/21/98
James Jolyon, 3/23/05