PDA

View Full Version : Question for sister-in-law: doubles for NYC dweller

lmintzer
06-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi stroller gurus. : ) My sister-in-law called me with stroller problems. She currently has a Combi double for her 2 year-old and her 2 month-old. She hates it--she can't get it over curbs and finds it very hard to push up hills. She lives in a Manhattan apartment and has very little storage space. They walk almost everywhere (and have no car).

She's considering a MBUD but would probably have to fold it and leave it in the front hall (it's slightly too big for the front closet).

Any reason she should go with the Valco double instead? Or would MBUD fold a little smaller, be a little lighter, etc.? I know the Valcos are better padded, but is there a major size (and fold) difference?

Thanks!

JodiM
06-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi Lisa,

The Valco Twin Runabout folds up smaller than the MBUD.
MBUD: 42x13x29
Valco: 32x29x22
Measurements are with wheels on.

MBUD Weighs 35lbs, Valco Twin 36lbs
There is no size difference in width- both are 29"
There is a 3" size difference in legnth, MB is 44", Valco is 47"

The Valco offers ALOT more for your money...
You get a tall canopy standard (1" taller than the mbud EXTENDED Canopy even), bumper bar, and lots of padding, not to mention the head support and pump.
The Valco also allws your child to sit bolt upright if they choose to do so, which MBUD doesn't have (And my DD HATED)

I took the info off of MountainBuggy USA, and the retailer faq sheet we got with our Valco's.
I am comparing 2005 models.

strollerqueen
06-02-2005, 11:55 PM
OK, I like both, but be fair to the MBUD by listing the pros, too. First off, I had two 7 year olds in the SINGLE recently, and it pushed like a dream. I didn't have to worry about it breaking. This thing is a workhorse! My 7 yr old DD never complains about riding in the double, either. She is 48" tall, and the extra tall canopy is tall enough for her. The Valco is over all a lot more fiddly, especially with the fold. The MB is just pull up on two side levers, that's it. The MB is a lot easier to clean if you are really going on dirt trails, mud, tall grass, etc. Just hose it off and go. The Valco is more of a "citified A/T." The MB is easier to push, and more stable, too. I could tip the Valco sideways going uphill on the SQ Obstacle Course. No can do with the MB, though I tried.

The reason the Valco is cheaper is that it is made in China. There are a few quality issues accordingly; i.e. gloppy metal weld lumps, crooked seams, etc. The MB is made in New Zealand, one of the few strollers left made in it's country of origin.

JodiM
06-03-2005, 12:01 AM
True, my 7yo would hop in both the MBUD and the Valco for rides. (And I am glad to hear I don't have the only 7yo still riding in a stroller! I thought dd was the only "My feet hurt, can I ride? 7 yo LOL)

I didn't have mine long enough to try cleaning it though, as dd hated it, because of the seats.

And I agree the MBUD fold is easier- but I like the extra step on the Valco fold which makes it a bit smaller (with 5 kids, I will take all the extra room I can for all their stuff. LOL)

I'm surprised you tipped a Valco, we live on really crappy backroads, and I've never had a problem, even 12yo ds pushes it all the time, and hasn't had a problem.

Marisa6826
06-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Lisa-

If your SIL wants to see the Valco, I can bring mine to her. I have a 2004 double in crimson.

Has she thought about a single Valco with a toddler seat? They have them at Buy Buy Baby and probably Albee's on Amsterdam Ave.

LMK.

-m

betsydenny
06-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Has your sister considered a Phil and Ted's e3?
I too live in NYC and having pushed the MBUD for 6 months I now have an e3 which I love and have taken my MBUD to my Dad's house.
The e3 is so great to navigate city stores and doorways! I was able to do a bunch of errands the other day with both kids in the stroller- something I never could have done with the MBUD because it doesnt fit in some doorways.
My little guy is actually more comfortable in the back seat than he was in the MBUD. He now sleeps in the stroller! and is totally jolly back there.
It folds almost as easily as the Mountain Buggy and certainly smaller. It is lighter to push and very nimble. It might fit in her front closet!
I would be happy to show your SIL our e3 if she would like. There aren't many on the street these days but from what folks have told me, there will be many more when that new shipment hits Buy Buy Baby. I suspect they will be a common sight on the playgrounds by the end of the summer.
Feel free to email me and I will be happy to show her the stroller.
Betsy
BTW my kids are 2.5yrs and 9mo.