PDA

View Full Version : Beach-Worthy Double Stroller with Storage and Full Recline??

kfcboston
06-11-2005, 11:40 AM
OK, stroller gurus, time for me to pull the trigger. I need a beach-worthy double stroller for the twins that I can fill with gear and chase DS around with while I'm alone with all of them at the beach! The babes are young enough still that they're content staying in the stroller, but of course DS most certainly is not. So I'm envisioning me standing by the water's edge with stroller filled with twins, beach bag, ball and couple toys, blanket........ while DS frolicks in the surf. I'd also like this to be my FT double stroller.

While I'd prefer not to totally break the bank, I'd like to hear all options.

HELP!

ETA - I'd also like to hear thoughts re: a foot board, or a place for DS to stand, while I push if he wants to. Not a deal breaker, I don't think, but it'd be a great option for us to have. I'm really testing you all!! :)

toomanystrollers
06-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure how those smaller wheeled ones handle for the beach (MB, Valco,...) - I've only used a big 'ol Baby Jogger Twinner with 20" wheels for the beach - no problemo.

You may be able to snag a Twinner off of Craigslist for not a lot of dough & use it for the beach/outdoors only.

You need to hear from some Valco & MB owners!!

kfcboston
06-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks, Pam! I'm hoping to avoid having to get two......we'll see!

Any more words of wisdom?

ktdid74
06-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Katie--
I have my Dreamer Design Ditto up for sale on strollerswap. It's got thin bike-style wheels that would be good for sand. My BOB wheels were too thick to work well. It has a big basket underneath and you can throw tons of stuff on top. It has separate canopies for each seat and they are the best when it comes to sun protection for the little guys- fully adjustable. Not sure you'd want to use it for a full time stroller though it pushes very easily.
I'd think you'd want a fixed wheel for sand. Good luck with your search. Can't wait to see more pics of your boys!

kfcboston
06-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Hey there! How's the move prep going? You must be excited!

How do I get on the strollerswap? I'm not a member.

Oh, and I would upload a photo, but it's not letting me!! Grrr.

ktdid74
06-14-2005, 07:33 AM
I can't post pics anymore either! Very strange.

here's the link for swap
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

As for the move, I'm a stress ball. Just hoping to sell the house sooner than later so we can get things going. I am excited though :)

Elilly
06-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Alone with all of them at the beach?! You are an AEWSOME mom! Sometimes I wonder how I'm going to get all of us to the pool let alone to the beach! Sorry, no stroller advice though!

indigo
06-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Just came across this product:

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=250755&itemType=PRODUCT

No idea how the Stroller Skis work IRL, but maybe you can use it with a good all-around double stroller and save having to buy two strollers.

indigo
DD 7/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif
six months and counting!

my3lilgals
06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
How old are your twins?

I have the Dreamer Designs Ditto double jogger which is my beach/outdoor stroller. The seats don't recline flat, but recline enough for napping. They do make an insert thingy to make it more comfy for young infants (I got it when DD#2 was about 6 months old). It has great individual sun canopies, and a good-sized basket underneath. I also pack a lot of stuff on top of it and put my diaper bag on the handlebars (I look like a homeless person pushing it around, lol, with all the stuff crammed in and on it!).

It works fine in the sand -- pushes well on the hardpacked sand, and to get thru the soft sand I turn it backwards and pull it behind me, up on the two rear wheels.

I tried attaching a Kiddy Board for my oldest DD but there isn't enough room between the stroller and the handle, unfortunately.

It is relatively light for a double (28 lbs, I think) and narrower than some double joggers, and does fold down somehow but I never put it in the car so can't advise there. When my kids were still both needing a stroller for the mall or whatever, I had a Kolcraft double umbrella -- cheapo stroller, $40, but it did the trick for our infrequent excursions indoors.

I really wanted a Mountain Buggy double, but couldn't find one used and could not afford one new. I did buy the Ditto new but it was a couple hundred less than the MB; and since like I said I seldom go to the mall or anywhere in the car I was fine with just getting a cheapo car stroller.

You can usually find good deals on used double joggers on Ebay or craigslist, if you don't want to spend a lot of $$. Pretty much any jogger with fixed wheels will work well in the sand.

mharling
06-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I tried my MBUS at the beach the other day (with the front wheel locked) and it did not do well. I would imagine the same to be true of the MBUD.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005