PDA

View Full Version : Should I get an umbrella stroller before DS is born?

racerl1
06-13-2005, 11:07 AM
I have a PP Venezia stroller for DS (due in Oct). For a lightweight stroller, DH and I like the SC Micro, and all the websites are offering free shipping right now. I know we won't be able to use the Micro until the baby is older. Should we order a micro now or wait? Does everyone end up with an umbrella stroller, or are do some people use their big strollers exclusively? I want to take advantage of the free shipping and I want to be prepared, but I don't want to buy something if we don't need it. Please give me your opinions. Thanks.

DebbieJ
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I would wait. When your babe gets here and is big enough for an umbrella, take him/her to the store and try out the strollers to make sure he/she likes them. Then go home and order one online (the deals will still be there).

You don't want to buy a stroller now only to find out later that your baby won't tolerate sitting in it!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

DAKnits
06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree. I have the Venezia and have used it exclusively (my daughter is 10 months old). Yesterday I bought a stroller (the P3) as my "light weight" b/c my daughter will not tolerate sitting in a stroller without a bar or tray, and I found that I really like having a snack tray. Wait until you see what features both you and your baby enjoy!

DAKnits
06-13-2005, 12:27 PM
I agree. I have the Venezia and have used it exclusively (my daughter is 10 months old). Yesterday I bought a stroller (the P3) as my "light weight" b/c my daughter will not tolerate sitting in a stroller without a bar or tray, and I found that I really like having a snack tray. Wait until you see what features both you and your baby enjoy! As a side note, tons of people use the Venezia and never get a light weight.

kensjen
06-13-2005, 01:19 PM
I agree that you should wait. You will know better once the baby is here what your needs will be and what you are looking for in a stroller. Also, you never know, there may be something new coming out early next year that you will like better. :)

FWIW, I just bought a lightweight umbrella stroller for DS and he is 22 months old. So you may not need/want one for awhile.

I agree with a PP that it is a good idea to take baby to the store and try out strollers. I also found that to be helpful with high chairs. It's hard to imagine what you will like and what the baby will like.

HTH!!

Momof3Labs
06-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Wait. DS didn't like umbrellas until he was almost two years old, and you generally can't put tiny babies in umbrellas. By the time you need one, something new and better will be out, or the one that you really like will be cheaper. Free shipping is everywhere all the time these days - definitely not worth buying this early for that reason alone.

nov04
06-13-2005, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't want to store a light weight stroller for that long even for free shipping, it's just not worth it. You'll have more options in the future and you may figure out certain things he needs that you don't know about now.

GL!!!