PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing something WRONG? Kiwi E3 v2 is like pushing a truck these days...

kec2003
06-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi, I have a lovely but huge 2.9 yo son -- he's 40 pounds and 43 inches tall -- who still needs to be in a stroller sometimes because we live in NYC and must walk a pretty fair way quite often. I bought the E3 a year ago (and 10 pounds ago for him) and it was okay, but now he has a sister (3 months) and pushing them around in this stroller is a NIGHTMARE.

My questions:
1) Is there anything that you can buy that would make pushing a 40 pound kid feel easier, preferably a single stroller?

2) We spend a lot of time "dividing and conquering" the two babes these days (I have the most angelic grandmother to help all day, any day I need/want), so we spend a lot of time with a stroller for each. Would you bother buying a double that is better than the E3, or just pray that some combination of single stroller/buggy board/baby bjorn (although she's almost 16 pounds now, so getting less fun to wear for a long time while pushing a stroller) gets me through until ds is really walking up to a half-mile at a reasonable pace (in other words, probably another year from now?) Would you spend the money on a MBUD even if you feel like you don't take the two of them together places because of dueling nap schedules, etc.?

Thank you SO much for your guidance, oh wise and experienced mothers of 2 or more...

Katharine,
Mummy to Christopher Finlay 9/6/02 and Charlotte Grace 2/28/05

Marisa6826
06-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Katherine-

Have you checked the air in your tires? You can have any bike store do it for you. I briefly had the E3v2 and HATED HATED HATED it.

I wouldn't spend the money on a MBUD. I now have a Valco twin and as much as I love it, am kind of wishing that I considered the Valco single with the toddler seat.

I know that Buy Buy Baby (7th Ave at 25th St) has Valco singles now.

I'm about 30-40 minutes from you in NJ. I'd be happy to meet you and your kiddos for lunch one day if you want to check out my Valco double just to appease your curiosity ;). If nothing else, we can always meet at CP Zoo!

Let me know.

-m

swampus
06-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Definitely check the tires, as was already suggested...

but I think if you do a search on this problem, you'll find some old threads. I think, in some strollers, the brake wire was rubbing on either one or both tires, slowing the ride and making a very low humming noise. A bike shop would be able to check it all out for you.

My dd is about 30 pounds, my ds is 15 (probably more!), and the thing pushes on any terrain with just one hand--and very easily. Definitely get it checked out!

lmariana
06-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but have you checked the tires? That was my first thought before reading the other posts! Also, taking the wheels off and lubing them up a bit wouldn't hurt. I do that with my Bugaboo monthly.

I loved and desperately miss my E3 V2.

If the tires aren't the culprit, and you're ready for a new ride, I'd recommend a Valco Runabout + Toddler seat. I just got one recently and love it!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreggoPals

sobers3
06-16-2005, 09:04 AM
I had an E3V2 and used it with my DGD who is larger than your son, so something is definitely wrong. Aside from the tires, also check to see if he is putting his feet in the footrest and causing pressure on the front tire. This is a known defect and will act as a brake and slow you down for sure. If you call customer service, they will send you out the new footrest/basket for free no questions asked and it arrives very quickly. The other thing I would check is it may need some lubrication on the moving parts. You may have gotten dust and dirt in it and it needs a cleaning and lube. I would call and ask what they recommend to use. Some companies recommend Pledge, silicone, vaseline, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong. GL and I hope you find the cause. Please let us know. Mary

craftysierra
06-16-2005, 12:47 PM
I work in the plumbing industrusty but i think the same applies here do NOT use vasoline to lube rubber type parts! They will swell and cause problems.

Sierra

lenad
06-17-2005, 11:41 AM
This is re: baby Bjorn. There are a lot of carriers out there that are much more comfortable than baby Bjorn, and can be used until your dd is 35lbs. I suggest looking into Mei Tais and wraps ("www.thebabywearer.com" has all the info you may need).

LD