PDA

View Full Version : MBUS or Zooper Zydeco/Boogie ?

khalloc
06-16-2005, 02:08 PM
K, I posted before about the Zoopers, but now I am reading all these things about the MBUS and I dont know if that would be a good fit for me or not. Then, I have one other question (at the bottom of this post).

First off I live in northern VT and my baby is due in mid November. I am thinking that I probably wont be outside taking very many walks this winter, seeing as my baby will be new and winters are cold here. I also live at the end of a 1/4 mile dirt road with only 3 houses on it. So I don't have a "neighborhood" to walk around. The main road is paved but busy with no sidewalks, so I would not walk on that. I am looking for a stroller that will do well on a dirt road, and walking around my yard with (we have a large yard). So pretty much up and down grassy hills, etc...I would also bring the stroller to my in-laws because they live in on a road similar to ours (dirt, rural). I was thinking the Zooper Zydeco or Boogie would be a great fit. But then I was reading all these reviews about the MBUS, and it seems nice and its lighter weight, so if I wanted to bring it in the car it might be easier. However, I am not loving the looks of the MBUS as much. It doesn't seem as cushiony as the Zooper? But what do I know? I have only seen them online.

I am also planning on getting the Peg Perego P3. So this all-terrain stroller doesn't have to be my everything stroller. I figure the P3 would be better to bring in the car on shopping trips, into town, etc...

So which is better, the MBUS or the Zooper (either Zydeco or Boogie)??
And my last question, I plan on getting one of these strollers (all-terrain or the P3) before my baby is born. Should I buyt he P3 first and get the all-terrain next spring? Or would it be better to start with the all-terrain (either MBUS or Zooper) first and then buy the P3 in the spring?

Thanks!
Kristen

bubbaray
06-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, my vote would definitely be for the MBUS over the Zoopers. If I thought I would "ever" take the stroller in the car, I would skip the Zoopers -- they are tanks! The fold on the MBUS is the best you'll find of the 3-wheels swivel strollers.

Having said that, you might consider a fixed wheel stroller for dirt road use. I'm not sure a swivel wheel would work well for you. I depends on the condition of your dirt road and the size of the dirt/gravel you'll be using it on.

If you want a swivel front wheel, you could also consider the Valco, which is more plush than the MBUS, but bulkier to fold.

Personally, I LOVE my MBUS. I think it could have been my "only" stroller (gasp!) if the adjustable handlebar had been available when DD was born.

As for the P3 vs the all terrain, that again is a tough call. It sounds like you won't be outside much in the winter, so you could just get the P3. However, as I said above, the MBUS is so easy to fold and light (21 lbs, but feels like much less -- it is as easy to get into the car as a P3), you could just get an MBUS and skip the P3. I've sold my Pliko (earlier version of the P3) and don't miss it at all. I have an Inglesina Swift as my errand stroller as DD d/n recline much at all, but honestly I could do without my Swift. I've also ordered a Silver Cross Micro, but not because I need it, more because it is pink, LOL!

HTH
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

khalloc
06-16-2005, 03:32 PM
The MBUS does sound tempting. My road is pretty much just packed gravel. No big pieces at all. Its starts out as black shale rocks but is soon broken up into a powder basically. I think the swivel wheel would be ok. I am still curious about the MBUS vs. the Zooper though. the Zoopers look alot more comfy. And tehy already come with a bunch of accessories, where it sounds like you have to buy them (boot, rain cover, etc...) with the MBUS.

bubbaray
06-16-2005, 03:47 PM
If you don't want to transport the stroller, the Zooper definitely is plusher. And comes with lots of "stuff" (but would you actually use it?!). I rarely take DD out in the stroller in the rain and it rains a LOT here, LOL! We definitely don't need a boot here, though it sounds like you do.

I think you need to determine (hard to do pre-baby) how often you'll want to transport the stroller. I thought I would want to do a lot more walking around the 'hood than I actually did when DD was a baby. I found that I wanted to be out where I could possibly talk to other adults (mall, playgroup, etc.), not strolling around the neighborhood by myself. But, that's just me.

Good luck!
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

jendalymd
06-16-2005, 04:49 PM
I second the vote for the MBUS. I used to have a Zooper Buddy (old model of the Boogie, but with a fixed front wheel, the Boogie has a swivel wheel). I loved the reversible seat and the accessories, but honestly it was a bear! (and the only accessory I used was the rain cover). It was way Too big and heavy to put in the car (we have a camry) but still! I'm only 5'1" and not very strong and that thing was like 31 lbs plus accessories.

I sold it and bought an MBUS because of the lighter weight and the awesome, awesome steering. You can easily fix the wheel for real off-roading and snow, but in general you'll keep it in swivel mode. Really it is a dream to push! Nothing pushes smoother and better than an MBUS and the fold is super easy, whereas I was always forgetting how to fold the Zooper (I usually left it open). I used to live in Burlington, VT, so I totally hear you about the weather.
I would get the carseat adaptor bar accessory (or the carrycot) for when baby is a newborn and the storm cover. I have the Valco boot ($50) for my toddler and it keeps him nice and toasty during the winters here in Boston. Definitely get the MBUS. I have an orange one which I like to tell people is hunter safety orange, so no one will mistake it for a deer and shoot it by accident. Plus, it is safer at night and when crossing the street.
Good luck!

dules
06-16-2005, 07:51 PM
I have an MBUS and I had a Zydeco. If you don't want to use it in the car, and you're going to do a lot of really bumpy terrain, dirt roads and the like, then ABSOLUTELY the Zooper. It has fantastic suspension.

Not to knock the MBUS and I do love mine, but I feel like my daughter's teeth get rattled around if I go too fast on bumpy ground. For me as the "driver" it flies over the bumps but for her it's not terribly comfortable.

Zooper also has a fully formed seat and comes with a nice boot - and the Zydeco boot is SUPER warm and snug.

When I was considering both, my DD was 4 months old, and we tried them both in the store. I told her then that "someday" we'd have that MBUS but for what we wanted it for at the time (outside walks, VERY rarely in the car, as we had a Z Street for that) the Zydeco was the right answer.

I think the P3 will be your do it all stroller and the Zydeco/Boogie your outside walks stroller.

Best,
Mary

snowmon
06-25-2005, 10:36 AM
As a Zooper owner (and city dweller) I've concluded that a few items prevent the Zooper from being a truly great stroller:

-- the weight, of course. Forget hefting it into a car.
-- the monstrous size when collapsed
(it's also a bummer to collapse -- surely better engineering can resolve that issue?)
-- the clapses on the restraint straps/harness system are real finger pinchers. They really cheaped out here - and on an item that is used at least twice for each stroller journey. Speaking of cheaping out, they should have put a pad on the center leg strap as well -- for those of us who use the stroller in hot weather. The strap complete scratches DD's legs when she's in shorts or a skirt.
-- the storage basket underneath is quite large, but very difficult to load anything into when the seat is in the rear facing (infant) position. They could have made some sort of side opening with velcro or a zipper or whatever to compensate for this.

These may be nit-picky things, but it's the little details that turn a good product into a great one. ;-)

It's been a great city vehicle for us, but I walk everywhere. I bought a McClaren Techno XT for travel, car, etc.

holliam
06-28-2005, 09:40 AM
We have the Zooper Zydeco and mostly use it for walks from the garage to the nearby park or neighborhood or store (DH is SAHD and walks with her a lot).

But, we also have a Subaru Outback and a strong SAHD. He thinks nothing about "tossing" the Zydeco in the back and heading to a different park for a walk.

He did that this morning. :)

Holli

tobycat
06-28-2005, 10:21 AM
We have a Zooper Sport (with air tires) that we used with a Graco car seat when DD was very tiny. SHe is 9 months now and we use the Zooper for walks around the neighborhood. We have sidewalks though. We also have a Maclaren Volo for the mall. I am about to buy a Chariot Cougar for jogging and as a bike trailer. The Zooper has served us very well (and have used all the accessories) but...

if I had to do it all over again. I would probably skip the Zooper Sport and just have used the rent-a-stroller at the mall which you can put the carseat onto or bought a baby trend snap and go kind of thing. The Zooper folds easily and I can put it in my trunk (passat sedan), but was expensive at the time--$200.

The Volo is a definite must for us, now that DD can sit on her own. THe chariot has the added advantage of being a jogger and a bike trailer.

I guess if I was in your situation I would get an all terain type of stroller and skip the P3 and get an umbrella stroller when the baby is older.