PDA

View Full Version : Poll-Twin Stroller-How do u feel about no infant seat attachment??

NewMamaBear
06-20-2005, 02:39 PM
This is for a toddler and infant.

Please give me your thoughts, tell me what stroller you own, and if you like your stroller for everyday use (with or without the infant seat).
THANK YOU!!!! :)

Nooknookmom
06-20-2005, 06:22 PM
yes I am shouting, I vote NO attachment! I am waiving my arms and hopping up and down. There, I feel a little better.

I never used one w/ DD although I had one 9 years ago (an ancient Century that broke). Babies are not supposed to be left in their seats for more than 20-30* (not exact) min. outside of car useage. When carseats are used in lieu of actual lay flat strollers a multitude of health problems can occur. Other posters can elaborate more I am sure.

In the last couple of years, I have noticed so many posts from mom's to be who think that a carseat must be used with their new stroller when the baby first comes home. That is SOOOO not the case. However companies like Costco and Graco sure make it seem that a stroller can't be used alone and all this does is confuse mom's.

I just hope that companies clue in soon that it is not good for babes to sit in carseats all the time and make adjustments to their product lines. ;)

my3lilgals
06-20-2005, 11:19 PM
My first two are 25 months apart so I had several double strollers, but I never used the infant seat in any of them. For one thing, DD#2 hated the infant car seat, and was a very big baby, so she was in a convertible seat at about 6 weeks, I think. Both my older girls were summer babies and they always looked so hot and sweaty in the carseat; they seemed more comfortable laying in the stroller with the seat reclined. And they all preferred the Baby Bjorn or the sling to being stuck in their carseats.

I know people think that the carseat/stroller combo is convenient for shopping, but really, when you have two small children in tow you tend not to "shop" in the traditional sense of the word. I've never been able to drag my babies along on more than one or two errands per day without them melting down from the excitement...

Plus babies outgrow those seats so quickly that it just does not make sense to buy a stroller solely because it fits your car seat!

Now I will confess that with my third baby I do actually use the infant car seat as a carrier more than I ever did with the others, simply because we are always dragging the poor baby along to pick up kids at school, playdates, ballet, etc.. And I sometimes put the seat into my Pliko (it is not the officially sanctioned attachment, but it fits in the stroller nicely) because the baby likes to look at me -- but I would rather have a nice stroller with a reversible handle or seat instead of making the poor child stay in her seat which she is NOT fond of.

So I have never felt a strong need to have a carseat attachment. But then again, I also am baffled by people who feel a strong need for cupholders or swivel wheels, so apparently I am a tad old-fashioned...

darby24
06-20-2005, 11:40 PM
I just replied to another post, but it does apply to this one as well. MBUD as their only double stroller with no complaints.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=14&topic_id=59309&mesg_id=59495&page=

I agree with the previous posters. The infant seat just makes more of a pain. My sister used her MBUD with her newborn and it was no problem at all. My oldest nephew was 22 months old when they got this stroller.

ETA; if you've got your heart set on a carseat adaptable stroller, mountain buggy does have a carseat attachment that you can buy.

reyn74
06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
I have 3 children, and have never used a carseat in a stroller. I use a sling or front carrier with my newborns for the first few weeks, then after that if we are going on longer trips, they go directly in the stroller. The only time I leave them in a carseat is if they are asleep and we go inside a fast food restaurant, but then we just carry the infant seat. If they are asleep and we are going to the store or a mall or such, I've found that transferring them to the sling might wake them up for a second or two, but then they fall right back to sleep as I walk.

I have a Combi twin Savvy for my kids. My first two kids are 22 months apart and the baby is three years younger than the middle kid. I've used the Combi with all three kids. Although I have probably used my P3 more than my Combi, but this has been since the baby could sit up, so the older kids can catch a ride on the back.

-Sarah and 3 kids

MamaParis
06-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Ok I vote for no infant seat attachment.
Its TOTALLY not necessary - although many companies make it seem like a MUST to have a carseat attachment.

I use a phil and teds E3 v2 as my double for my toddler/infant and it worked perfect!
I also NEVER use the "travel system" feature on any of my strollers.

Carseats are safety devices IMO. Like a PP said too much unnecesary time in an infant seat is just not healthy for a child.
Its is recommended that a child spend no more than 20 min in the infant seat outside of riding in the car.

But honestly, someone put it to me this way once ...

Which would YOU rather?
Being snugly strapped into the seat of your car for hours or laying comfortably in a bed?
I pick the bed! ;)

I also strongly believe that too much time in those infant seats leads to BAD sleep habits (sleeping all day - awake all night) and also kids that spend A LOT of time in them also seem to have development issues - like slower to crawl and roll over etc.

So to make this short .. I TOTALLY vote for a stroller with a nice flat recline/newborn bed/basinette .. whatever!

The MBUD with the basinette on one side looks nice IMO! A nice comfy bed for the infant and a stroller seat for the toddler.

We use the E3 and LOVE it! Nice comfy infant/newborn bed in back with the toddlers seat up front.

and there are a ton more options too!

Paris

lmariana
06-21-2005, 09:17 AM
>I also strongly believe that too much time in those infant
>seats leads to BAD sleep habits (sleeping all day - awake all
>night) and also kids that spend A LOT of time in them also
>seem to have development issues - like slower to crawl and
>roll over etc.

Paris, I agree with you. With our first baby, I thought he HAD to stay in the car seat when we were out! We just didn't know any differently, plus the stroller we bought (Peg Aria) didn't have a newborn friendly recline. I'm not sure if it's related, but it did take Gabe 9 months to crawl and 14 months to walk.

For the new baby, I'm not even planning on using the car seat out of the car. We'll probably end up with an MBUD, Combi Twin, and maybe an E3. :) I've had 2 E3's and regretted selling them every day!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreggoPals

DAKnits
06-21-2005, 09:56 PM
I TOTALLY AGREE with the poster above ... you absolutely don't need to, and shouldn't keep your baby in the infant car seat when you are at the mall or strolling your baby for any length of time!! My Doctor who is the head of the pediatrics unit at one of the BEST hospitals here in South Miami told me from day one not to do this -- it is resulting in torticolis and flat heads, and Physical Therapists are seeing babies in record numbers coming into their clinics for Physical Therapy and with helmuts to correct their flat heads.

You cannot reposition your baby while he/she is in the infant car seat -- they have no room to move, the angle of the neck and head is not optimal. IMHO. it is no effort to take the baby out of the car seat (even while sleeping) and place them in the stroller. It's as much work as getting the car seat out of the base and then trying to click it in the stroller. The few seconds it takes to belt up the baby again when you get back in the car is worth it to me.

And on top of that, if you get your baby used to being moved while sleeping, your baby will be able to be transferred from car to crib, stroller to car, etc... and not wake up. If you start this from the beginning, you will thank yourself later. My friends actually ride around their neighborhoods with their baby sleeping in the car seat b/c they don't want to wake them up by coming home and taking them out of the car. My DD can be taken from her car seat, and carried into the house, up the stairs, and put in her crib without waking. Of course, there's no guarantee that your baby will be like this even if you do get them used to being moved while sleeping, but it's certainly better to try to get them in the habit if you can.

Oh and I have the peg Perego Venezia which does have the infant seat attachment and obviously never used it once.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to -- just passing on advice I truly believe in.

JennsBabySky
06-22-2005, 12:57 AM
=>For the new baby, I'm not even planning on using the car seat
>out of the car. We'll probably end up with an MBUD, Combi
>Twin, and maybe an E3. :) I've had 2 E3's and regretted
>selling them every day!

Hi Mariana,
I'm sorry that you regret selling your E3's, but boy am I happy. I purchased your old red one and we love it! So far, it is our absolute favorite. Boy does that stroller get used all the time. Thank you so much!

Take care,
Jennifer

But to address the original question, I also rarely used the infant seat out of the car. When I did use it, it was mainly when picking up my daughter from preschool. Since it usually would only be a few minutes, I found it easier to carry my carseat. I did try out the Inglesina Twin Jet since it could (unofficially) hold a carseat. We never used this feature. But, it was a great double for a newborn. It had wonderful hoods and super plush fabric with a total recline. Absolutely perfect for a newborn!

Gena
06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
>With our first baby, I thought he
>HAD to stay in the car seat when we were out! We just didn't
>know any differently, plus the stroller we bought (Peg Aria)
>didn't have a newborn friendly recline. I'm not sure if it's
>related, but it did take Gabe 9 months to crawl and 14 months
>to walk.

Mariana - Personally, I doubt it's related. My son hated his infant carseat so we NEVER used it in the stroller. He also crawled at 9 months. He's 13 months now and not yet walking (but close!). As we all know, kids just develop at different rates. So it might not have anything to do with the carseat issue.

I just wanted to share in case it gives you any added peace of mind.

my3lilgals
06-22-2005, 10:25 AM
>With our first baby, I thought he
>HAD to stay in the car seat when we were out! We just didn't
>know any differently, plus the stroller we bought (Peg Aria)
>didn't have a newborn friendly recline. I'm not sure if it's
>related, but it did take Gabe 9 months to crawl and 14 months
>to walk.

Crawling at 9 months and walking at 14 months are textbook "average" ages! Perfectly normal!

I do see your point though -- to a new mom looking at registry guides at BRU etc. it would seem that babies are SUPPOSED to be in their carseats all the time! And you see so many people with their kids ALWAYS in the carseat all day...

My kids made it well known (loudly) that they did NOT appreciate being stuck in the carseat one minute more than necessary, however.

baby
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
It is interesting to me to hear these responses because although I only have 1 child, it was so convenient to have her in the infant seat. It was great not to have to tranfer her while she was sleeping.
I also found that my baby as well as other babies seem to really like the snuggled feeling of being in the infant seat. I know babies that would only sleep in the infant seat- not to say it's the healthiest thing. I also want to add that 9 months old is a very average age for crawling. I don't think it is considered late.

Ashley

booboo1
06-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I have a 19 month old - and twins on the way. I've been having this debate myself. After much thinking, I'm going with a double that won't accept car seats. It's between a Combni & a Zooper, for me. The babies are in the seats for such a short time. I really don't like my travel system stroller from my first son, so why would I get another? Besides, I'm only buying 1 double stroller - so I'm getting what I want, regardless of the car seat attachment.

By the way - I LOVED my sling for my son - it was a lifesaver - my son was not one who liked to be in the carseat for any length of time, as compared to many other babies.

Good luck.