PDA

View Full Version : Do you change your DC in their stroller?

ilovetivo
06-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Bathroom changing tables are gross (even w/ my Patemm). Would it work in my Aria? It doesn't recline flat though. I'm debating if I need a full recline stroller. (I really need the lightest stroller possible, but she does nap too in it, so I don't think a Volo would work). DD just graduated from her infant carrier at 5 1/2 months old.

If I can't do it in my Aria, any other stroller suggestions? 14 lbs would be too much. I'm not even sure the 13 pounders would work.

Thanks!

sobers3
06-26-2005, 07:12 AM
If light-weight and full recline are important to you, I would look into Combi and Aprica. If you are very tall the handles are a little low on these models. I agree with you about the bathroom changing tables, so I always use the stroller or in warmer weather the cargo area of my Explorer. GL Mary

Deborah_Hogan
06-26-2005, 07:25 AM
I can't imagine what's growing on those tables.

I change in my lap, and now that child can stand, standing up.

Those Huggies disposible changing pads are great and very small. I put one diaper, a small wipes pack, and a disposible hanging pad in a zip lock bag. Sit down, lie child in your lap, and you can change pretty neatly, then roll everything up and throw away.

mariza
06-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I change DD in her P3 all the time, I don't think the Aria reclines as much as the P3, but I would think it should be enough. I don't always put the P3 on the lowest recline to change her and it works well. Have you tried it? Maybe do a trial run at home.

Momof3Labs
06-26-2005, 09:13 AM
I still change Colin in his stroller, or standing up. I find that a full recline AND an adjustable leg rest (neither of which the Aria has) are both key to making the process easier.

You might want to check out Aprica. Pricey, but may best meet your needs!

ilovetivo
06-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Lori - Anywhere I can find the Aprica locally? Does it have the adjustable leg rest?

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll try to test run the Aria. How far does the Mac Quest recline? I know it has adjustable leg rest. I think the quest is 13.2 lbs though.

ilovetivo
06-26-2005, 10:18 AM
I looked at Combi at BRU and didn't think it reclined further than the Aria. Is there a model you're thinking of?

dules
06-26-2005, 12:07 PM
You definitely need a recline. I just got a Volo and am comfortable with my 18 month old in it but there's no way she would have been ready at 5.5 months.

It has a very short seat, no extendable legrest.

I agree with the PPs that you'll want a recline and legrest to change in the stroller.

May I ask why 14 lbs is too much but 13 might be OK? You may find that a well made, well balanced 13 lb stroller "feels" lighter to carry, fold and push than a poorly made 12 lb one.

Best,
Mary

P.S. We usually change in the stroller, sometimes on the back bench seat of the car. Never on a public table. In the stroller I just slide the changing mat underneath her.

ilovetivo
06-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Mary, I have fibromyalgia and muscle pain and body fatigue are my main problems. Lately my joints have been really bad. Maybe my ligaments are still loose post pregnancy. Any shoulder movement increases the pain. Who knows, maybe i have tendonitis at this point. I don't know if 13 would be ok. Snap and go's were too hard. I for sure know 17 is impossible. Some days my Aria is too much :( I have to weigh it again to see the weight. Some sites say it's 12.5 and others 10 lbs.

W/ the Aria, it's getting harder to get in and out of doors w/ 1 hand. I just stopped using the snugride in it, so maybe it'll be easier now (haven't tried it yet)

Do you think I need a 5 pt harness? She loves to sit up and does so almost completely on her own- but still falls to the sides after 20 seconds or so when sitting on the floor.

Nooknookmom
06-26-2005, 01:01 PM
http://www.babyride.com/ap-1204.html

I had two Aprica's w/ DD and LOVED them both. Still have one that my cat uses (don't ask!).

The wheels are guaranteed for life, they are very sturdy, some people don't care for the suspension and mistake it for wobblyness (sp?).

I always changed DD in her stroller. HTH

Momof3Labs
06-26-2005, 03:52 PM
J - I don't know where to find Aprica locally, unfortunately. There is a high end baby store in the Northbrook area, and one in the Lincon Park (north side of the city) area, perhaps they carry Apricas.

If you want to test drive a Maclaren similar to the Quest, LMK. I have an older but almost identical model that I could live without for a week or so if you want to borrow it and see if it is too much for you. It isn't a full recline, probably comparable to the Aria recline.

ilovetivo
06-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks Lori! Maybe I can borrow that one? Do you have another one you'd use? What's the name of the NB area store? I can think of Bellini & Lazars. Feel free to email me offline.

ilovetivo
06-26-2005, 04:08 PM
How tall is too tall? I'm 5'6", and dh is 5'11"
thanks!

ilovetivo
06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
thanks! i'm so nervous to get an aprica w/o looking at it irl though. but maybe i will anyway

swampus
06-27-2005, 11:24 PM
What about Cella for Baby in Lake Forest? They have high end strollers there...

I've purchased a few (non stroller) items there, and have found them great to work with! They used to be on Lincoln near Webster in the city, but moved to Lake Forest almost 2 years ago.

ilovetivo
06-28-2005, 08:29 AM
:( from their website - thx though!

Cella is on the move again. We've closed our location in Lake Forest and are not sure at this point if we will be re-opening or not. Until a final decision is made, we will be operating out of our office and warehouse. The phone number is supposed to remain the same (if the number forwarding works) and all deliveries will be made as usual. If you have an order placed, this move should not affect it in any way. For those who are nervous about the future, refunds will be given and even recommendations of elsewhere to purchase if you desire. If you have a question, please contact us via email to insure receipt of your message at [email protected].

swampus
06-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Oh, no! How sad. I wonder if they're going to have a killer sale to get rid of all the inventory... I got dd's christening gown there, and it was gorgeous. They were always very helpful and informative.

lenad
06-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Oh that's a great price. If I had seen before getting my Quest I would have bought it. I have seen a couple of Apricas IRL. They look light, but not in a bad sort of way. They are eye catching. And by far the best features for the weight.

I change my dd in the stroller every so often, whenever that is the closest/most convenient option. Easier than on the lap. The fully reclining stroller is definitely better suited for that (my Zooper Waltz) than even a partially reclining one (Quest).

LD

dules
06-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Hmm, that's hard. Aprica may be the way to go, if even the Quest is too heavy.

I would say you'll want the 5 point harness for safety. My DD went through a stage, shortly after learning to sit up, where if I didn't have her shoulders strapped in she'd sort of "lunge" out of the stroller - scary!

If you read StrollerSWAP you might want to post this there. There are often gently used and loved Apricas there for sale so the mama selling could likely give you great pics and the rundown on her particular stroller.

Best,
Mary

muskiesusan
06-28-2005, 07:04 PM
I changed my DS's in both the single and double Aria. I actually think they preferred it since they always hated lying flat on their back!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Nooknookmom
06-29-2005, 04:31 PM
DD never tried to escape from her stroller. She was taught early on that when Mommy/Daddy strapped her in - she needed to stay :).

I also liked the fact that w/ the 3 pt harness, she wasn't "stuck" to the back of the stroller (which is the case, unless you have a Peg w/ floating harness). This way she could pull herself up and hang onto the bar and look around.

Good luck & happy shopping!

ilovetivo
06-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Good point! Zoey loves sitting up.