PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone like tandem strollers??

my3fallkiddos
06-26-2005, 10:23 PM
I promised DH I would look at the Graco double strollers while at BRU last week and I did... *sigh* it was like steering a ship. I admit the HUGE basket, enough cupholders to rival a minivan and the low-ish cost for a double stroller was appealing. But its huge when folded and heavy to lift. I told DH that the search for a double stroller was still on but I would keep the Graco on my list (just for him- he likes the low cost of a Graco and supposidly ALL of his co-workers have told him that side by side strollers are a pain).

So while going through stroller boards, it seems no one likes front/back strollers! I do like the Peg Perego Tender Twin and that would seem like a good compromise between DH and I; he gets his front/back stroller that he's heard is so great and I get something thats NOT a Graco.

So what is the general opinion here in tandem strollers? Are they really that bad?

Thanks!

Carrie

JodiM
06-26-2005, 10:29 PM
I am not a big fan of tandem's, they don't steer well, and usually are heavy.

I did just get a Transit Tandem, and it's 'ok' for shopping, etc... but no way would I want that for my everyday stroller.

A good way to win dh's over, is to take the full cost of the stroller you want, divide it by the number of years you are going to use it- then show them that it will only cost XXX per day. (usually very little)
The explain to him, if you take good care of it in that time, you can usually turn around and sell the stroller for 1/3 or more of what you paid for it when you're done with it.
(Worked on dh when I bought my 'first' expensive stroller)

AdoptChina
06-27-2005, 08:38 AM
I have a Perego Tender Twin and I love it (actually its our 2nd one! DH broke the first one). It is big and it is heavy but I love using it for mall trips etc. I can either have 2 kids sit, or 1 sit and have a seat open for bags/packages lol. The only time I dont like it is when we are outside and it is hilly (but thats when I make DH push it ). I like that it can fit through the aisles easily, I like that it is wide enough that my big toddlers felt comfy and not too confined....

pamela mom of 3
06-27-2005, 10:12 AM
I've had tandems that i have liked including perego tenders and a perego duette...

I really enjoyed the bassinet-like feature on my tender when my kids we're really young and it's easy fold.

My duette was the older style w/pram wheels so it was great for walks and such and it's seats turned about so you had less "back seat" issues like in other tandems.

All that said and done i have owned plenty of sbs styles, they tend to be better when kids get older/heavier than tandems since the backseat rider tends to get pretty hostile as time goes by }( and the increase in weight makes for a harder push due to the tandems longer length.

If sbs styles are not appealing you could also look at some of the toddler seat styles offered by phil and ted and valco

http://www.philandteds.com
http://www.valcobaby.com

~Pamela mom to the trio of trouble
2 girls, 9 & 6.5yrs and one boy almost 4.5yrs

Mum-of-3-Lil-Herberts
06-27-2005, 12:24 PM
I Have a Jane PowerTwin and its Fabulous. Steers like a dream with my 19 month old and 2.5 year old in it although I have not acually taken it on a good test run yet. It has air 3 wheels and the basket is not Huge but its OK.. Heres a pic :-)

Victoria Mummy of Lila 05/99
Riley 09/2002
Tommy 10/2003

sobers3
06-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Wow, your PowerTwin is nice! When you have a chance, could you post photos with your DC sitting in it? It would give me an idea of how it would fit my DGC. Thanks, Mary

Mum-of-3-Lil-Herberts
06-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Heres a couple of pics with the boys in it, My 19 month old in the back is 33" tall and my 2.7 year old in the fount is 38" Tall. HTH

Victoria Mummy of Lila 05/99
Riley 09/2002
Tommy 10/2003

kellyotn
06-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Is DH gonna be the primary driver? ;-)

I heard a lot of "Oh you don't WANT a side-by-side!!" when I bought my Mac TT. But it was mainly from people with kids a bit older (4-6 years), so I just nodded and chalked it up to Improved Stroller Technology. :-)

If it felt like steering a ship in the store, it ain't gonna improve with age, KWIM? The kids are gonna get heavier, parts are gonna wear.....

Take this with a grain of salt b/c I haven't actually driven a tandem. Why? Becase the free one I was offered to borrow wouldn't even fit into my car. :-|

If it were me, I'd ignore DH's secondhand info and get what YOU want. Yeah, a Graco tandem isn't terribly expensive, but if you hate it - its still that much $ sitting there collecting dust and eating up (huge amounts of) space.

sobers3
06-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Your boys are so cute!!! Thank you, that was very helpful. My DGSs are similar in size. There is a lot more room than I thought! Maybe my DIL will be interested when I show her the photos. Can't seem to find the right non-jogger SBS! Mary

carolines mommy
06-28-2005, 12:54 AM
I love my Peg Tender Twin! Heavy, yes but not as heavy as a Graco yet sooo much more plush. I will NOT own a Graco. Personal preference! The baskets are useless for the most part, but my children's comfort is more important to me than baskets. I hang bags off swivel hooks and use a backpack diaper bag. I am very glad I did buy a tandem because I tried DDs out in a SBS this past weekend and DD1 kept hitting, poking and proding DD2 in the stomach and head. They are 17 months apart. I can't imaging trying to get between clothing racks in stores with a SBS.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05