PDA

View Full Version : Does this exist? (Stroller recs, please)

Prince_Tamir
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
I will be traveling to the Caribbean next February and need recs for a stroller for a 6 month old. I currently only have a Peg Perégo carriage/stroller system, but realize that will be too heavy and cumbersome to put on a plane/airport shuttle/cruise ship along with carrying a baby, pack-n-play, luggage, etc. Since he has yet to be born, I cannot comment on size. Ideally, I would like it to be:

- Forward and rear-facing
- Varying recline, including full recline
- Folds relatively easy
- Light to medium weight

What's not necessarily important to me are:
- Cup holder
- Basket underneath

Any recommendations you can give would be most appreciated!

MICHELLE

mommato2boys
06-27-2005, 11:55 AM
I would find the forward facing and rear facing to be the hardest aspect to find in a light weight stroller. Maybe someone else can help....I would say a light weight stroller is going to be the biggest plus while traveling.

Snookie
06-27-2005, 01:26 PM
I used to think I needed a lightweight stroller when traveling, but then I realized that when the stroller is open and I'm pushing it with the baby in it, weight generally doesn't matter. When I fold it up to put on a plane, the baggage handlers are lifting it, so it doesn't really affect me. Of course, you'll have to lift it in and out of cars or up stairs while you're on your trip, but usually there are people to help with that, such as cabbies and doormen. Just my two cents.

If you decide you can live without the forward/back facing feature, I recommend the lightweight Graco Metrolite with the tray. It's light, folds easily, has a pretty good basket, has a reasonable recline, a feeding tray, a good canopy, smooth ride and turning, and costs less than $100. It only has a 3 point harness, though.

Good luck!

Nooknookmom
06-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I found that when travelling, true lightweight, umbrella types weren't *enough* for me. I need a lot of things, lol.

Try this http://www.babyride.com/ap-1204.html. My main stroller was almost like this. Weight was never an issue for me and the fact that baby was comfy and had enough room to take a nap was a great feature. I love Aprica's they are very well made and comfortable!

Have a great trip!

babystuffbuff
06-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, my favorite "travel" stroller is the Strolee STS-1. It is made by Combi, and my favorite things about it are the weight (only 11 pounds), the price (about $45) and how incredibly tiny it folds up. It has the Combi "tri-fold" so it folds in half, then kind of in thirds (hard to explain) and there is a strap on the back so you can just sling it over your shoulder. :) The recline isn't full, but it is 140 degrees, which would be more than adequate for a 6-month-old.

I really don't know if you are going to be able to find a stroller with a reversible seat or handle that will be smaller/lighter than your Peg. :( The reversible strollers are getting to be so rare these days, and it is often a feature that can only be found on heavier, carriage-type ones.

The Strolee can be found at Target (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_6/601-6459996-0725727?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B00063FCXG) but right now it says it won't be available for 4-8 weeks, so they must be restocking. You can find it on Shop.com for the same price as Target (http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/14794205/ccsyn/260) but Target has a better picture and description, as well as user reviews. I have seen it in blue, gray, and red.

If you find you want more features, I know a few moms who swear by the Graco Metrolite for traveling. You can find some pretty cheap on eBay (http://search.ebay.com/graco-metrolite_Baby_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ2984). I am not a big Graco fan, but some people really love those strollers.

Good luck!

Sarah

Smiles81
06-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Like a previous poster said, I would check out the aprica and maybe the peg perego A3. If you decide a reversible bar/seat is not important, check out the maclarens quest or techno, the peg perego p3 or the inglesina zippy. These tsrollers are relativley light weight but are still comfy for baby.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

Prince_Tamir
06-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Guess I need to figure out which of the ones listed will best fit my (and the baby's) needs.

lynettefrancois
07-26-2005, 09:19 PM
I agree with the PP about the weight not being SO important, especially if you are not travelling alone, and not planning on going up and down steps in your travels. If your Peg stroller is under 20 pounds, like a P3, I'd take that one. A carseat isn't going to get any easier than the infant seat, so assuming your DC hasn't outgrown it at 6 months (this is not a given!), the infant seat is the only option you have (and not a bad one, I think). Also, I wouldn't worry about baby being able to see you on a short trip... I don't think it will make that much difference to either of you on a trip under a couple of weeks. JMO, HTH!
ETA: If it were me, I'd try to put the PNP in the carseat, in the stroller through airports etc. In other words, use it as a luggage cart. Put the baby in a carrier- sling or ergo or something, and you've still got one hand free for pulling luggage! BTW, if you want to economize on size/weight of items, check out the smaller PNPs- I used mine for a year, and the size is MUCH more manageable when packed up in the case. Easier to fit on a boat, too. :)