PDA

View Full Version : Need good rec for stroller in rough terrain

ericher
06-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know of a stroller which can handle gravel/dirt roads etc., does NOT have air-filled tires, and is $200 or hopefully less?

My folks are going to buy my brother a stroller for their September baby. My brother lives in the desert in the Southwest and needs something fairly rugged but WITHOUT air-filled tires as they have serious cacti needles etc. which will pop most tires (including bike tires!). I bought myself a Zooper Jazz for our little guy and am quite happy with it, but I have a feeling the price ($250+) is a bit much for my parents to fork over, so I don't think that's an option for them. I thought one of the Jeep models would work well for them but I can't find one without air-filled tires.

Any advice much appreciated.

Elise

dules
06-27-2005, 08:26 PM
If space isn't much of an issue, what about a solid-tire pram? There are Emmaljungas still to be found at resale. You might also find resale Inglesinas, Peg Peregos, Silver Cross and Bertinis with solid tires.

These would have nice suspension for rough terrain.

The Jazz is also a good idea, especially if size is an issue and/or they want to be able to make very tight turns. I wonder when the next year models will come out, or if you can still find a deal on a clearanced 04.

I'll think about this some more and I'm interested to see what others suggest.

Best,
Mary

JodiM
06-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I would look at the Urban Advantage, or the Valco Everest.

Both are about $199, but the UA will be going on sale in July at *most* retailers, and will be $189.

strollerqueen
06-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Absolutely, a used pram! My neighbor scooped up a mint Emmaljunga Viking in red, at the Salvation Army. She paid $15!!!!! But there are also a bunch on Ebay. They are fabulous, fabulous.

ericher
06-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Hi all,

These are all good suggestions... BUT--I just don't see my folks trolling ebay or other used sites trying to find the right stroller. They are going to want to buy something new and have it shipped to my brother's place directly (I think). And I don't have the time to do much shopping for them. I'll check into some of the used recommendations, but most of these options still sound too expensive. If anything else pops into your mind, though, I would still like to hear it--we do have a few months after all before this is needed.

Thanks,
Elise

having fun with Harry, 11/9/04

ericher
06-28-2005, 08:17 AM
these sounded good--but both seem to have air-filled tires and they specifically CANNOT use one with air-filled tires. Any other thoughts?

Elise

having fun with Harry, 11/9/04

gel
06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
I second an Emmaljunga Viking. There are plenty on ebay, and it would take you about 30 seconds to bid on one for your parents. It can be shipped directly wherever you want it to go. Just put in your max bid and forget about it until the auction is over.

DisneyLovnMom
06-28-2005, 10:27 AM
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/littlefolks/newfor20zoja.html

Zooper Jazz on clearence for $180!

DisneyLovnMom
06-28-2005, 10:27 AM
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/littlefolks/newfor20zoja.html

Zooper Jazz on clearence for $180!

JodiM
06-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Sorry Elise, I saw that- but I was posting late at night, and my mind is not there. :)

A used pram, or a older model Zippy

JodiM
06-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Sorry Elise, I saw that- but I was posting late at night, and my mind is not there. :)

A used pram, or a older model Zippy