PDA

View Full Version : Valco Twin Runabout (or MBUD) verses a toddler seat? (also I'Coo question)

jray
06-29-2005, 11:46 AM
If you have children 2 years apart, it is wiser to purchase a double side-by-side or a single with toddler seat attachment?

Here's my thinking:

Valco Twin/MBUD:
Both babes can recline/sleep if needed
Both babes have shaded canopy
Both babes can see what's in front of them

However, it is hard to push/steer a SBS with babies of different weights? (I've heard tandems are best for this, but can't find one I like).

Valco Single w/ Toddler Seat:
Narrow (great for malls)
Can use it as single stroller once older babe walks more

Can toddler flip out of seat? Is it safe?

If I were to purchase a tandem, I've been eyeing the I'Coo Platon 4 Air, but can't find much about it - but I like the look and features (minus the weight and price!) Does anyone know more about this stroller?

Please help! Thanks so much!

Sandy
06-29-2005, 01:19 PM
My kids are 3 years apart and the MBUD is not hard to push at all with kids of 2 different weights. In fact the MBUD and the Valco will most likely push better and steer better than anything else out there.

I have the E3v2 with Toddler seat in my car and use the MBUD for walks outside. I had the Valco with toddler seat but decided to go with the E3 because it was lighter and I would be lugging it in and out of the car. I think the toddler seat on the Valco is fine but you would need to help your child in and out of it. If you have a toddler who tries to get in and out by themselves than it might be tippy.

The listed weight limit for each of the seats for the I'coo is only 33lbs versus Valco and MBUD who have much higher weight limits. I think you are better going with a Valco, MBUD or E3V2.

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
& Marisa Mia 4/23/05

jray
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Sandy. That's great information. I think I will most likely go with a MBUD or Valco Twin, but I just want to get 1 do-it-all stroller. Is the MBUD and Valco a pain in the rear to lift in and out of a SUV? (I usually don't run too many errands at once). :)

I know you returned your valco with toddler seat, but do you know if the back seat had to be reclined in order for the toddler seat to work? (On the Bumbleride, it does, which turned me off to the toddler seat).

Sandy
06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
No, You can have the seat upright with the Valco. I think if you have a SUV than it wouldn't be a problem taking the MBUD or Valco in and out. I have a sedan so it's a little more effort but not that bad either. The E3V2 was a good option for me as I could use it as a single or double depending on whether or not I had only one or both kids with me. That is also the nice thing about the Valco runabout with toddler seat.

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
& Marisa Mia 4/23/05

JodiM
06-29-2005, 02:24 PM
If you plan on having your 'older' child in it for long periods of time, I would say the twin. The toddler seat is just not that comfortable for hours at a time.

I can steer both my Valco Twin and MBUD with one hand, loaded down with kiddos in it.
Matter of fact, I can push my Valco Twin w/toddler seat on it better than I can push my Transit Tandem.

sobers3
06-29-2005, 02:57 PM
There isn't a difference at all in the handling of the MBUD or Valco Twin when there is a difference in the children's weight. In fact, it's fine with one seat empty when the older child is walking. Since the MBUD and Valco Twin hold their value, you could start out with a double and then when your oldest only needs an occasional seat, sell it and buy a single with a toddler seat. That would probably be a win-win situation for you. HTH Mary

JodiM
06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
That's very true- and *most* retailers will give you a discount for ordering a second stroller.

I had to go back and edit this, I *just* saw the question about the I'Coo.

STAY AWAY FROM IT if you have to lift it into a vehicle! That thing weighs 60lbs!!!!
I'm am fairly strong, and no way would I lift that thing in and out.
It's pretty though, and I love the different configurations, but it is HEAVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVYYYY.
It also has 'Bertini' steering, and I can't get the hang of that for the life of me.

RwnMayfair
07-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Like Jodi said, the I'coo is definitely heavy in doubles mode. (Wasn't sure of the exact weight, myself.) They keep appearing on eBay right now though, if you really want one though. The guy selling them there tends to sell it for about $400, though he's got one up there in a regular auction right now too. If you search for "I'coo" it'll come up with those auctions. (He has absolutely no information in the auctions though, so they won't help you in that respect.)

And the steering on it didn't bother me - my husband loved it, and I found it easy to steer myself. It is definitely not one to put in and out of a vehicle though. Would have been great if we were still living overseas, though.

We ultimately opted to go with the Runabout with the toddler seat, ourselves. Taran rarely falls asleep in the stroller anymore (if he really, really wants to, I'm going to be wearing the new baby for quite awhile in the beginning anyway), and we can use it as a single again later on. (I just have to figure out what to do with our Walk Air now.) You can also buy a canopy for the toddler seat as well, if you so choose. The toddler seat also has a five-point harness, so I think your toddler would be hard pressed to flip out unless they weren't strapped in. ;)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png