PDA

View Full Version : New Graco stroller models...any experience with them?

HollowSquirrel
06-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi there. I'm a first-time mom-to-be and new to the boards, too. I'm trying to register and was set to pick the Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier to go with the Graco SnugRide infant car seat...but then I just noticed on the Graco website that they have a new product called the Graco SnugRider, which is basically their version of the universal car seat carrier! Has anyone used this or heard any reviews? I couldn't find any.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for the next/additional stroller I would need once my son outgrows his infant car seat? Should I get a stroller with a lap/snack bar or is that unnecessary? I noticed, too, that Graco has some new models (well, I think they're new) called the Spree and Mosaic, which you can either buy with the car seat or without...which might make me boot the Kolcraft from my registry... SO many decisions...and the little guy isn't even here yet!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

mommato2boys
06-30-2005, 08:55 AM
I would do some research....I have bought Gracos and just not been happy...I even bought another one with DS#2...I should have known better.....but....I just it now just down at my office which is a construction site so dusty and dirty and I don't mind the Graco getting dirty....but there are nicer stroller for the quality out there. Depends on what you want and what features are important to you. I found when DS was little a snack tray was a must, not just for snacking but for playing on too. Then as DS got to be a toddler, the maclaren was excellent, compact, easy fold, and super light. I also have an Instep three wheel one which is great for outdoors or mall travel, it has all the pluses of a regular stroller with the three wheel swivel aspect....it is one of my favorites.
For DS#2, I bought a Venezia, and am enjoying it right now. I also am eyeing another Maclaren, maybe a quest, I love the lightness of it!!!!
Read this board, lots of different stroller and lots of choices!!!!

infocrazy
06-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Just FYI. The Graco Carrier was at our BRU last night--might want to check yours. It looked pretty cool. I am in the same boat as you as far as stroller experience so unfortunately, I can't offer any additional insight.

Jen

mommato2boys
06-30-2005, 03:18 PM
I have had three Gracos, they are on the heavy side, big and bulky (make sure you have the truck room) and they don't steer the best. With that said, if I had never had another kind of stroller, they work for what you need them for and are low cost. The travel system is nice but for the time that you actually use it, I wouldn't base my purchase on that alone. There were some additions and changes that they made to the Graco since my first DS#1, that is why I convinced myself to get another. The improved the cup holder and tray, the child's tray was resigned and the hood. But they cheaped other aspects, the foot rest can only fold up to make a basinett and not extend outward to help a baby when sitting up. With that said, I still have my Graco and use it in the office, it takes tons of abuse and gets dirty and I don't freak out....I do with my other strollers. I would look at a Maclaren line they are very popular and very well made. What is your price range? Any limits? What do you have to have in a stroller?
I recommmend a Venezia PP one....it is very nice for infants.....I have a six month old and still love the reverse handle and the boot, I unzip the top of the boot but leave the bottom on and it creates an enclosure, the baby can sit up and play and toys don't get lost out of the bottom of the stroller. Great for mall shopping!!!!

mariza
06-30-2005, 09:25 PM
I think she was asking about the new Graco "Mosaic" models; Looks like a European umbrella knockoff. For the price, you may be better of getting a slightly used or NIB older model high-end stroller. These are the new Gracos, they do look pretty cool though!
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=6060LOT&CategoryID=2

bubbaray
06-30-2005, 10:26 PM
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=6001BCL&CategoryID=2

It looks nice. I'm looking forward to the first review!! :)

I think a Peg Perego P3 or even an older Pliko is a nice first stroller. Not too heavy (which might be important if you end up with a c-section), not too difficult a fold, can hold a car seat if you need it (will take a Graco or a PP seat), has a full recline and decent padding.

My all time favorite stroller is my MBUS. It could have been my (gasp!) only stroller!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

jgirl
06-30-2005, 11:29 PM
It would be nice if the new Gracos would be as light as the Euro brands, I'm not holding my breath though.

HollowSquirrel
07-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the message! I don't know about anyone else, but I'm doing all the research and my husband is asking all of the questions about cost/efficacy-- without doing any research of his own! He's driving me nuts. I'm not working right now, so we're on one income...I think that's why he's worried about costs. I am, too, but I also don't want to buy a monstrous travel system only to want to buy an umbrella stroller after 6 mo. because the travel system is too much stroller.

Here's what I definitely want: Graco SnugRide car seat, a stroller (or 2?) that are light and can fold easily (as our biggest car is a Toyota Corolla!). My tentative plan is for the new Graco SnugRider (carrier frame thingy) and then get another lightweight stroller for after infant car seat is no longer an option. I'd like to spend less than $80 on THAT stroller, if possible, with having a snack bar. Or is a snack bar not that necessary?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate ALL of your input! :)

HollowSquirrel
07-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Haha...I ran right out to BRU yesterday after seeing it online the night before. And they had it!! It seemed sturdy, easy to collapse and had a nice size storage basket. So, I added it to my registry. I told my DH about it, and he was concerned (go figure) of the cost of then buying another stroller once the infant car seat is too small... I think the Peg Perego P3 is out of our price range. :( I'll keep an eye on this thread and keep searching!!

THANKS!! :) :) :)

mariza
07-01-2005, 08:24 AM
I skipped the Universal carseat carrier altogether and put that $60 towards my P3, which I then used as a travel system with the snugride carseat. The Snugrider shipping weight is 17lbs, so the carrier itself is probably around 13-15 lbs. Most of the car seat carriers have a book fold, which although just a frame, still take up space. My P3 weighs around 17 lbs, not much more than the snugrider and I got it on ebay for $188 total with shipping included in that price. If you bought a snugrider for $60 and a graco stroller for another $100, you've just about paid for a P3! I love my P3 and have never wished I had the frame instead. It's easy to store in the trunk (takes VERY little space) and once you know how to do the fold, it's very easy also. I only use it as a travel system if we are going in and out of different errands (ie, dry cleaner, drugstore, pedi office, etc.) for the mall and longer trips, I just put DD right in her P3. Here are some P3's on Ebay, also check out stroller swap on Yahoo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66703&item=3983071885&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66703&item=3983844062&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66703&item=3983844062&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Also check out the Zooper zStreet there are lots of fans of it here, and you can't beat the price. I'm actually considering getting this and selling my P3
http://www.overstockbaby.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=61

If you do a search you will come up with some discussions on P3 vs. zStreet.
Sorry so long, HTH!

HollowSquirrel
07-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info and links. Is the P3 too large though for quick trips or travel? I don't see the Zoopr zStreet in BB book-- is it older? THANK YOU again for your message and ebay links. You're too nice! :)

mariza
07-01-2005, 09:22 AM
I don't find it too large at all, the fold is tricky the first time you do it, but after you know how, it is very simple and quick to do. What I love most about the P3 fold is that there is no bending over involved at all. DH has a bad back and and doesn't have to bend over at all to fold it. I've played with the snap and go at BRU and found it cumbersome (maybe the snugrider is differnt) even many of the Graco strollers with the one hand fold you have to bend over almost to the ground to pick up.
I have a minivan now, so space isn't an issue any more, but when I had my Chevy Malibu I could do a full grocery shopping at Costco and still fit my P3. Worst case scenario was one time I bought lots of diapers and counld't fit the P3 in the trunk I just put it in the front seat.
The zStreet is an older model Zooper, but has lots of fans here. There is a Zooper section in the Baby Bargains book, do a search and you will learn lots about them. The best thing about the Zooper Coolzone is that it is only $89 and accepts the snugride to make a travel system (it would look good with a snugride in Heatwave pattern). It is also only about 17lbs and this way even if you decide you still want a P3, you've only spent $30 more than the Snugrider and have an actual stroller to use as a backup. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Do some searches here and join the Yahoo stroller swap group. I knew nothing about strollers when I started lurking here, and have learned so much from everyone (then I go over to swap and realize there is sooo much more I don't know!)
Also, David from Overstockbaby.com will offer a shipping discount for swap mommies.
I've travels from FL to AZ and MA with my P3, gate checked everytime and also brought it on a weekend trip to Disney. It really is the best all around stroller!
You can email me if you have any more questions.
[email protected]

HIU8
07-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Actually the P3 is a great stroller for quick trips and travel. We love our 2004 P3. It folds really small (umbrella fold) and doesn't take up to much room in the trunk. It's also only 17 pounds and is really easy to carry (has a nice carry handle).

HTH

Heather
DS Jacob "Coby" 11/27/04

mommato2boys
07-01-2005, 10:26 AM
My sister had a small Honda compairable to the Corolla, her Graco travel system fit...but just barely....I would try and go to a store to try one in person if you get a big system. She hated it everytime she had to get the stroller in and out, especially in the rain.

But the carrier frame shouldn't be an issue, but since I have personally never had one, I could say for sure.

I personally want a snack bar for the child, I can do without a parents' tray. The P3 is a great compact stroller with a tray BUT it is more expensive...but you could buy one off ebay, or a slightly used one?

mommato2boys
07-01-2005, 10:34 AM
I guess I would have to second the idea to forget the frame and just invest in a stroller that would take a carseat too. Doesn't the P3? It isn't too heavy for everyday IMO. When I have seen the frame at the malls, they always seemed very awkward to me, but I have never used one so I don't have personal experience. You won't use it that long. Once your baby can sit up with assistance, around 4-5 months, they don't want to sit in the carseat, they can't see as well, and they want to sit up and look around. If price is an issue, skip it and invest in ONE stroller.
Do any Maclarens take car seat? I would look into that too...they are great strollers!

bubbaray
07-01-2005, 11:16 AM
The only Mac that takes a car seat is the Global.

Honestly, I would get a P3 and skip the frame. Even if you get bored with it, you can always sell it after your child no longer needs a plush, reclining stroller. It is NOT too big for quick trips, especially when the baby is little. Anything that is lighterweight won't have a full recline and you definitely need a full recline, usually for about 6m(until the baby can sit up unassisted).

The P3 will take either a PP car seat or a Graco SnugRide.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

Lovingliv
07-01-2005, 12:56 PM
>>I think a Peg Perego P3 or even an older Pliko is a nice first
>stroller. Not too heavy (which might be important if you end
>up with a c-section), not too difficult a fold, can hold a car
>seat if you need it (will take a Graco or a PP seat), has a
>full recline and decent padding.
>

FYI: Only the 2005 model will take a Graco Snugride....before that year they are only compatible with pp seats.

Nooknookmom
07-02-2005, 02:51 PM
it can cause a multitude of health issues.

Your best bet is a full featured, full recline stroller such as this -http://www.babyride.com/ap-1204.html. Aprica's are top quality full featured strollers. I love them, my two held up until DD no longer could squish her body in the seat, lol. Over 6 years of strolling :)

An umbrella-type for quick errands would also be ideal, you can get a Maclaren Quest on ebay for around $99.00 and Albeebaby.com had them for around $139.00 I think.

When DD was born I went though 5 Graco/Kolcraft strollers BEFORE I got my 2 Aprica's. *I* do not like the quality and safety of the Gracoish brands. I prefer to look for a quality made buggy that is on sale before I would buy another Graco.

JMHO-HTH

bubbaray
07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
The earlier models of the P3 will "fit" a SnugRide, but you have to use a bungy cord or after-market strap to secure it. The '05s came with a strap.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

mariza
07-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree with PP, the '04's fit the same way as the '05, it just wasn't "approved" by Peg until they added the strap on the '05. I can see you all shaking your heads now, but I have to admit I rarely even bother with the strap. If I push the tray up while pressing down on the snugride, I get it to click in place. I only do this for quick trips, anything longer and I just put DD right in the stroller without the carseat.

carolines mommy
07-03-2005, 02:12 PM
I agree with the 2 PP. My snugride fit into my 04 P3 pretty darn well. I used the straps that came with my Inglesina Easy to secure the seat to the P3. I LOVE my P3 and would highly recommend it. I personally would skip the frame and go for the P3 because you will get so much more use out of it. The umbrella fold saves a lot of trunk space and not having to bend over to pick it up will save your back.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

knaidel
07-03-2005, 08:33 PM
I also agree with everyone else. I skipped a car seat frame, and didn't miss it. If you're on a budget, then skip it- you're better off putting your money towards a better stroiller that accepts the car seat- like the P3, Zippy, or one of the Zoopers. The Swing (the new version of the Zstreet) has umbrella handles, so I imagine, as Erika said, that it won't take up so much room in your trunk. We have a Zippy, and it is very manageable to fold, take on trips, etc. I imagine that the p3 and zstreet are similar.

HannaAddict
07-03-2005, 08:55 PM
I would skip the car seat carrier (as other posters have suggested) and get a P3 or Zippy. We had the Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier but our Snugride fit better in the Zippy and so we returned the Kolcraft. The Zippy is light and comfortable for the child/toddler. We didn't like their customer service, but it is soooo much better than a Graco. You can find them on sale or on eBay for as little as $150 or so. The Right Start has them for $220 but without the toddler board. We visited my SIL and BIL and watched them struggle with the giant Graco thing my MIL gave them (she registered for it). It was amazing to see how heavy and hard to open/fold/deal with versus our Zippy. And when you factor in that you won't need to buy a car seat only universal, the price difference isn't that great. I would save up and spring for a "better" stroller - P3 or Zippy or something. The Zippy reclines fully too, so that is an option too versus just with car seat. Cupholders and snack bar were not important to us at all. My son doesn't eat in the stroller, we stop if it is snack time. Trying to instill the whole "euro" not eating on the run habits in him and us! Good luck and congratulations.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

jamierush
07-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Another reason to skip the carrier is that you may really only use it for such a short time. My daughter was only in her snugride till she was 4 months old. she was just off the charts in height and weight, so she went into her convertible seat and we had to use the stroller till she could sit up. I was glad I had a full recline stroller.

HollowSquirrel
07-05-2005, 09:46 AM
new 2003 model Zooper Zstreet from www.overstockbaby.com. Thanks to *mariza* for pointing the way and for all of your comments. I still look forward to reading more about the new Graco models as they are tested!

:)
THANKS AGAIN!

mariza
07-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Yeah, Congrats on your new stroller! Please be sure to post after you receive it and let us know how you like it. I'm glad we could help! BTW, did you get the Heatwave Snugride too?

HollowSquirrel
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks! Heatwave is a good-looking print, esp with the Ice colored Zstreet, but on a first glance, it doesn't look like this pattern is available anymore. Of course, I just woke up from an impromptu 2 hour nap on my couch and am sort of half-assin' it. I'll search more later, as that IS the perfect color combo!! You rock, mariza! And, I'll let you know when the Zstreet comes (I'm SO excited!!).

fox3long
07-22-2005, 10:50 PM
If anyone is curious about the Graco Mosaic, I just bought one. I think the Mosaic is Graco's answer to many moms' complaints about how bulky and heavy the other Graco travel systems are. I tested out the Mosaic at BRU vs the other Graco travel systems and thought it very lightweight and maneuverable, especially compared to something like the Graco Quattro Tour (which seemed to handle like a bulky SUV). It is very compact when folded, which is another plus. The negatives would be that the under carriage storage is kinda small and there is no kiddy snack tray... and I needed two hands to fold it. I haven't owned the Mosaic long enough to test durability. In fact, after reading this message board (I didn't discover these message boards until today) I may still return the Mosaic and opt for the P3 or Zooper. Thank you for your inputs!

rebeccaravit
08-31-2005, 09:45 AM
I have a few questions about the Mosaic.....

Are the handles height adjustable?

How heavy is it?

Does it fully recline?

Thanks!

HollowSquirrel
08-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Ok, the Zooper came a while ago, but I had to wait for the Graco SnugRide car seat to arrive before I could fully rate the 2003 Zooper. It's pretty good... it's not that easy to fold and I don't like that I have to use my feet to close/open it because I tend to wear flipflops a lot...and it kind of hurts to do it with this kind of footwear. The basket is also pretty small. I'm kind of kicking myself for not just getting a Graco travel system...even though 1/2 of moms hate them and 1/2 absolutely love them. I don't know. Of course, our son isn't here yet, so it's not really "in use." Hopefully I'll be singing a different tune in a couple of months.

mariza
08-31-2005, 06:35 PM
Did you get the Sport or the zStreet? I'm sorry if you don't like it, I feel kinda responsible :(
Hopefully you will feel differently after DS arrives. If not, check out the Yahoo stroller swap group, you could probably re-sell it without too much loss. Who knows, I may even be back in the market by then :)

traciann
09-01-2005, 12:05 AM
I have the ZStreet and I love it! I think it took a couple times opening and closing the stroller...but now its smooth and easy to open and close. And I always wear flip flops and I don't have a problem closing down the stroller, and I find I don't need alot of pressure to do so. I kick the bottom first up, and then step on the side. It really does get easier. As far as the basket...I have yet to use it in 4 months because I can hang things off of the stroller without it tipping over...and I have hung lots of things on it! I have used it with and without the carseat and like it both ways...although I do use it without more now just to give DD time out of the carseat. I am so glad that I didn't buy a stroller frame as I almost did...because I have a usuable stroller now instead of having to buy one after the frame is done with.

I think that stroller compares alot to the Mosaic. But I like the Z Street much better. Its lighter, has wider seat and better padding, and has a much better sun cover than the Mosaic.

I think you will be happier once you have used it some...I love mine!

HTH!
Traci

HollowSquirrel
09-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Traci,
Thanks for your message! Can you tell I was in a "glass is half empty" mood when I wrote my message? lol I think you're right-- I just need some practice with the Zstreet. Do you have a diaper bag that hangs from the handles? Did you buy any stroller accessories (like cupholder for you or anything for your DD) that you can recommend?

Thank you again for your message. I appreciate it! :)
Stacy

HollowSquirrel
09-01-2005, 04:34 PM
No no no!! Don't feel responsible! Please!! I was crabby when I wrote that message. I'm sure I'll love it. I do like how small it is compared to some of the SUVs of strollers I see around. :) Sorry to make you feel like you led me astray-- ;you definitely did NOT!

OH, and it was the zstreet. :)

Cheers!
Stacy

traciann
09-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Stacy,

I have the LL Bean Diaper bag that I hang from the handles. I bought a different fabric set from Zooper ($50) the Swing fabric fits on the Z Street. I didn't love the color I bought...but it was so cheap I didn't care at the time. But then I found out that you could buy another color set from zooper and I love it. The swing set has a pocket on the back of the hood which is wonderful for putting keys, cell , and I also use to put my bottle drinks in. I don't plan on buying anything for DD to use for snacks...I figure I can hand then to her or use a snack cup when she is old enough.

HTH...I would be happy to answer anymore questions!

Traci