PDA

View Full Version : Instep Safari and Schwinn Safari Double

christyreap
06-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi Moms & Dads,

Researching this for my sister, whose children are 2.5 and 6 mos old.

She notices that there are two brands that use the same name "Safari"...both Instep and Schwinn.

Anyone know if there is a difference?

And, general opinions needed on these strollers. She will be using primarily for neighborhood walks, festivals, the zoo.

Many thanks.

Regards

Christy

newmomto1
06-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Hi,
I have had experience with the Schwinn & Instep Safari singles.
There is absolutely NO difference except for the fabric.
They are both made by Instep.
Although I loved the smooth ride & handling of the Safari, I no longer have it in my posession.
I went through FOUR of them (3 Insteps & 1 Schwinn) in less than a month.
Each one of them had quality issues (broken canopy, dragging brake, sqeaky frame, handlebar coming apart, etc..)
I finally gave up & purchased a BOB.
Yes the BOB cost WAY more than I wanted to spend...but I am thrilled with it.
It seems to be built rock solid & has a great reputation.
Sorry to be a downer re: the Safari...
Maybe the doubles are better??????

bubbaray
06-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Same stroller, just different fabrics. Both are owned by Pacific Cycle, which was recently purchased by Dorel Juvenille Group.

I had the Instep Safari Single for a few months. It was an OK stroller, especially for the price. I have an MBUS now, which is definitely better quality, but the Instep wasn't a bad stroller. I didn't like the fold much, but I have a "thing" about book folds....

While the single Safari and the MBUS weigh about the same, the MBUS is MUCH MUCH easier to fold and get into the car. For some reason, the Safari was bulky for me. But, for mostly neighborhood stuff, its fine.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

kellyotn
06-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Do a search of recent threads here in "strollers" for the Safetech Double from eBay. I didn't end up with one, but seriously considered it! (I ended up just ordering a Chariot Cougar 2 with the biking, strolling and jogging kits, I cannot wait!!).

Anyways, to summarize the Safetech is in the same price range, a bit better quality and most importantly (for me anyways) its narrow enough to fit through doorways, its just a bit narrower than the Safari but enough that it'll pass where the Safari sometimes won't.

Its been talked about w/in the last month for sure. :-)

HTH,
kelly

Leeannpk
07-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I have the Schwinn Safari Double. I strongly considered getting a Valco double or a Valco single plus toddler seat, but really couldn't justify the cost as the jogger would not be my primary stroller. I tried the Instep Safari at Sports Authority and thought it steered beautifully - I went for the Schwinn because I liked the fabric better.

A close friend has the Valco double so I have steered it and pushed her twins in it on a number of occasions. I honestly do not think it steers or handles one bit better than the Schwinn. I am a bit of a "stroller snob" and started out looking at the really expensive stuff thinking it's what I'd go for, but I could not be convinced that the Valco was worth $300-400 more.

That said, the Valco is narrower (I can get the schwinn through the entrance to Starbucks, though!). It might last forever and the Schwinn probably won't. But for a neighborhood stroller for walks, the park, zoo, etc, I don't think you can go wrong.

HTH,
Leeann

newmomto1
07-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh that's right...thay are made by Pacific, not Instep...oops!

newmomto1
07-01-2005, 03:11 PM
I am starting to think I am the only one who had all these issues with the Safari!
I really wanted to love that stroller...& did (except for the friggin quality issues).