PDA

View Full Version : Stroller gurus - P3 alternative?

npace19147
07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
We have a P3 that was fine when DD was younger (and lighter) but now it's driving me nuts. Very heavy, steers like a tank, and has developed several random squeaks that I can't stand. However, DD really likes the plush seats and the snack tray. We also have a SC Micro that she's not crazy about, and a BOB Revolution that is comfy but not really good for everyday use in the city.

So ideally I'd like to find a stroller with the following:

- good suspension for daily use on city sidewalks
- comfy seat with at least partial recline
- snack tray
- lighter than the P3

It doesn't have to have a great fold b/c we leave it out most of the time. A good canopy would be nice but we could always get an extension. And price isn't a factor, although since this will be our 4th stroller the less $$ the better!

Thanks for any input!!

Momof3Labs
07-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Did you consider giving your P3 a tune-up? Use some lemon Pledge on the wheels, for example. The reason I suggest this is that my P3 still steers and handles great with my 33lb toddler - definitely not heavy or tankish at all.

newmomto1
07-01-2005, 02:10 PM
I don't have an answer for you...
But I just wanted to say that I am really suprised you are having those issues with your P3!
My DS is about 25 lbs & our P3 still steers great.
I still love it. Do you think there might be something not working properly on yours? Not that I have a clue what it my be, just curious.
I am actually getting ready to put the P3 away for awhile (thinking I'll "preserve" it incase there's a DC #2).
I am going to switch over to my Mac Quest as my main stroller.
If you didn't need a snack tray I would say this could be an option for you...it steers great & handles nice (although I don't use it for a lot of outdoor walking...I use the BOB for that).
I hope you find something that works for you!!

npace19147
07-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I think that I have subjected my P3 to a lot of abuse as a city stroller. Possibly it's not really designed to stand up to that?

I'm now thinking that I would be better off with an all-terrain type stroller...but most of those seem to be very wide and not have a lot of the "extras" like snack trays. Hmmm...

DAKnits
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
The snack tray requirement limits your options for a real lightweight stroller, unless you are willing to use a Twingles Tray as your snack tray (you can see it on OneStepAhead.com). Otherwise, I would suggest the Maclaren Quest or Silver Cross Mini. Also, you can get an Inglesina Espresso (and use the Twingles tray). I know Aprica makes very light weight strollers with lots of bells and whistles too, although I don't think they come with a snack tray and they are very expensive.

The Silver Cross Camden however, has a snack tray, humongous canopy, good wheels for the city, great basket, and a full recline. It weighs close to the P3 though, at 16 lbs.

Edited to add: You might want to check out the Valco Everest ... it has a snack tray, and I think it's all terrain.

dules
07-01-2005, 06:38 PM
The Mountain Buggy Single pushes like a dream, even with heavy kids. No snack tray though...I tether a Snack Trap and sippy to the bumper bar.

It is an amazing push. You won't believe it compared to the P3, and I believe it's 24 inches wide.

Best,
Mary

ETA Mac Technos also have a good reputation in urban environments, and the steering on a Mac is way better than the best day on a P3 (and I mean this with utmost respect to the P3, which I really do like!).

JodiM
07-01-2005, 07:06 PM
I would look at the Silver Cross Mini, Maclaren Quest, or Inglesina Swift for lightweight option.

If you want all terrain, the Valco Everest or Urban Advantage are good strollers, fairly inexpensive and have trays

npace19147
07-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks all for your responses!

After DH's reaction when I told him that I was considering a *fourth* stroller, I think I'm going to see if I can retrofit the SC Micro to make it more appealing to DD. So I'm going to order pads for it, and see if I can get an aftermarket snack tray attachment of some sort.

Maybe when we get around to #2 I'll look at the MBUD. :)