PDA

View Full Version : Travel with Marathons and Zippys

marcywench
07-05-2005, 12:46 PM
I've only seen one post talking about this when I searched.

I know a lot of people take their Marathon carseats for travel and attach them to their P3s by removing the tray for ease of use in airports.

Can the same be done with a Zippy? Just bungee it on some how?

I've settled on both an MA and a Zippy. I'd be delighted to be able to use them together.

*crossposted to carseat forum*

hipmaman
07-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I could tie the MA or WZ onto our Volos, so I can't imagine you not able to do it with the Zippy. Try it out and see how they fit together.

I think the Zippy still have weight limit of 40 lbs (lower than Peg anyway) and with the MA and baby, it might just be at the limit.

indigo
07-05-2005, 10:35 PM
We have a Roundabout rather than a Marathon. Maybe I am really paranoid, but I would not put DD in the car seat while it was balanced on the Zippy - even if it was bungee'd on it would still be too precarious for my taste.

Instead (after our first trip lugging both car seat and Zippy around) we decided to get the Sit N Stroll combo for travel. Much easier, plus if baby falls asleep in the car you can pull her and the seat out without having to unstrap her!

indigo
DD 7/04
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif
twelve months and counting!

HannaAddict
07-05-2005, 11:06 PM
We have a Roundabout and Zippy and have traveled with them through airports, with my son asleep and it worked great. It was pretty stable. We reclined the Zippy seat all the way, unclipped the napper bar and set the RA on the Zippy. One of us is in charge of the stroller, one in charge of all the other junk. We've done this a few times, with son asleep and awake. It works well, but I know the MA is quite a bit taller and not sure how much more it weighs than the RA. The last time we needed to do this, my son was about 24 pounds. I'll try and attach a picture to give you an idea of how it works.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

marcywench
07-06-2005, 08:34 AM
That looks great. Thanks for the info. A pic really is worth a thousand words!

We just changed plans for a new car this weekend. We decided to purchase something that we'll share, rather than being exclusively my car (a Toyota Prius...if I'm not going anywhere, DH should take it to work.) I was planning to use the MA that I already purchased in one car. I was going to get a Touriva for travel/second car, but if we're going to be using the second car equally, I'd like to put a comfier seat in there. I might get the RA for that purpose. Thanks!

HannaAddict
07-06-2005, 12:03 PM
We love our RA and if you can afford it, is it much cozier than the Touriva (as you noted), and I think it is more user friendly (love the velcro, why don't they all have that!). I've seen them at Target for $165. Enjoy your Prius too.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

genndan100502
07-06-2005, 04:01 PM
We have a Zippy and a Roundabout and we are planning on travelling to Chicago from Los Angeles in September, DD will be 15 months by then. What do you do with the zippy once you're on the plane, place it in the overhead compartment?

HannaAddict
07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Gate check it. You can roll it right up to the doorway and they will take it from there. We haven't had any problems yet (knock wood) with damage and it has been waiting for us when we deplane right at the door. It is really too big for the overhead compartment.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

SarahK
07-06-2005, 05:15 PM
We have traveled cross-country several times with our Zippy and Roundabout. We used a carseat bag with wheels to get the RA through the airport. We gate-checked the Zippy and had no problems until our last trip--on that trip they somehow snagged the plastic covering the napper bar and now there is a rip/hole in the plastic on the top side. Looks really trashy and now we need to replace the entire bar.

genndan100502
07-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Totally forgot about Gate Check, I thought about asking to stow it away in one of the captain's or stewardists closets.

Thanks!