PDA

View Full Version : Is it best to use a stroller bag when gate checking a stroller?

cdlamis
07-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Does it better protect the stroller? Do the airline employees prefer it?
Any suggestions? We are taking our new double stroller and it's not a cheap one so I want it to be fully protected.
TIA~

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
and Isabella 12-18-04

hobokenmom
07-07-2005, 11:05 AM
which pretty much defeats the purpose of gatechecking the stoller. Luckily, I just had to lug my infant carseat AND the baggage claim wasn't that far.

I flew to FL in February with a brand-new P3, and I wanted to protect it with a stroller bag. I'll never do that again. On the way back I packed the hood in my suitcase, and then just folded and gatechecked the stroller. Everything was fine. I've checked maclarens millions of time and never had any problem.

Using a stroller bag seems like a good idea, but unfortunately the baggage handlers often don't realize it's a stroller inside.

Susann
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I have gatechecked my strollers maybe closer to a fifty times. They usually come out with a couple of new scratches and oil smudges on the upholstery. The only times that they came out like they went in has been when I checked them in and used either a plastic bag that the check-in people provided or a travel bag.

So you have to think which is more important: saving your stroller or the comfort of having a stroller at the airport.

Have a good trip

Susann
mom to Daniela :-)

dowlinal
07-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Daniella,

We are flying in October and I have been wondering the same thing. From what I have read, it seems like it's pretty common for stroller bags to end up at the baggage claim. Based on what I've read I'm planning to bring so type of clear plastic, I think people we recommending a cheap poncho, to wrap around my stroller and then secure it with a bungee cord. That way the stroller is protected from getting dirty or wet and the bagage handlers can see that it's a stroller.

A